• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help figuring out what cable to use...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

Were getting DSL at our house and my parents want to look into everything and figure it all out. We will be sharing the conncetion between two comps. Were getting a Zyxel 642 router and a Netgear FS605 switch. What type of cabling will i need? What's a crossover cable and do I need it? How would I set it up(hook what up to where).

thanks,
Kent

CoolLion

Hang on - your network will soar when it's hooked up to NETGEAR's FS605! This powerful plug-and-play switch connects at 10 or 100 Mbps and makes it easy to link as many as five computers or peripherals to your Ethernet network. You'll experience maximum performance for 10 or 100 Mbps devices with five ports that automatically sense the correct speed while Auto Uplink on the ports adjusts for the different types of Ethernet cables. The FS605's sleek case has lights on the front for easy monitoring. Installation into your home network couldn't be simpler and, once powered on, it begins cool and silent operation - without an internal fan.

This was the result of a 1 sec search in google.

----
Auto Uplink on the ports adjusts for the different types of Ethernet cables
----

So as long as you use cat5 cables it eats them all if you use a cross link it works etc....

try google before posting, it realy knows a lot

DanFraser

Use a straight cale, doesnt matter what swicth/hub/router you use, you cannot use a cross-over unless it is directly between two computers, ie, network card-cable-network card

CoolLion

DanFraser said:
Use a straight cale, doesnt matter what swicth/hub/router you use, you cannot use a cross-over unless it is directly between two computers, ie, network card-cable-network card

Sorry Dan but with this switch that is not correct. It switches the port status if you put a cross-over cable in it. This switch is distributed for that very reason. Most users do not understand which cable goes where and why it goes there. Helpdesks got overloaded because people did not understand upload or normal ports and cabeling this router just checks if it can connect and if not switches to the other state. BTW you can get it to fail by linking it to the same switch. They seem to go switching and switching.

OP
kent_b29

kent_b29

So i can hook my router to my switch with a straight cable. and then just use a straight cable to the comp? Do you usually need an crossover when going from router to switch? Thanks for clearing this up, i had seen that before, just didn't know what auto uplink was.

thanks,
Kent

DanFraser

CoolLion said:

Sorry Dan but with this switch that is not correct. It switches the port status if you put a cross-over cable in it. This switch is distributed for that very reason. Most users do not understand which cable goes where and why it goes there. Helpdesks got overloaded because people did not understand upload or normal ports and cabeling this router just checks if it can connect and if not switches to the other state. BTW you can get it to fail by linking it to the same switch. They seem to go switching and switching.

Fair enough, but easier to remember and makes it one of those KISS moments.

OP
kent_b29

kent_b29

Thank you very much su root, that was extremely helpful. The first part about x and II was confusing, but the latter parts made great sense and will help alot.

thanks,
Kent

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
yeah, i've revised it a bit since the original post, but unfortunately it's still a little nutty at the beginning, i hope it makes sense though. I made another edit on it, maybe it's a bit easier

Last edited: