• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help, quick!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

Okay here's the situation.

I did a fresh install of Windows XP last night on my friends system and everything seemed just fine.

There are two hard drives in the system. the primary drive is a 20Gig, and the secondary hard drive is a 40 Gig maxtor. I was able to read and write to the secondary disk last night, but today it is totally inaccessible. When I check the drive properties in "My Computer" it tells me that there are 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. I have absolutely no more access to this drive whatsoever.

The file system is showing up as "RAW" but I was using a program called R-Studio to attempt to recover the hard disk and it read the drive as being an NTFS partition. It was also finding a bunch of NTFS files and folders, but the program keeps locking up on me at aout 85% through the scan.

Can anyone recommend any good software to recover the hard disk? There is important information on there that we need to access. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

OP
AudiMan

AudiMan

Nevermind, I figured it out finally.

I had to use Partition Magic 8 to rebuild the Primary NTFS partition, then I used a program called getmydataback (I think that's what it's called) to restore the files from the hard drive. Then I had to map a network drive to temporarily store the recovered files that were being extracted, then after that I had to copy all of the files back to the original hard drive.

What a mess!!

Anyone know how this could have happened?