• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help with this one !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Recnelis

Registered
I got a problem with my onboard networking card of my abit IC7 MAX 3 in winXP pro. When I use the automatic speeds setting on the card it puts me on half duplex, 10Mbit/s I can manualy adjust it but when I put it over anything higher then 10Mbit full duplex it says my cable got disconnected. Using a 3com 10/100 Mbit ethernet card everything works fine.

I tried:
Several cables
Reinstalling the drivers
Copying the exact settings of the working network card disabling some of the functions the onboard one has and the 3com one hasn't
Computer is running at stock speed while I am testing this.

If anyone has an idea why i can not connect at speeds over 10/Mbit with it please let me know since I can't put my finger on it.

What do you have it plugged into ? A Cable modem, hub, or switch ? or another computer? If its connected into a cable modem it will only run at 10mbit/half duplex afaik.

I tried a hub and a cable modem, both defaulted to 10mbit/s half duplex. I'm familiar with most computer hadware but a noob in networking part from how to set up a small network with a hub or a direct one with a twisted pair cable i know little about it.
So if you say its normal that it connects to the cable modem at 10 mbit/s half duplex then I need to find an anwser to why the internet is so slow using that card. connecting to a page easy takes over 5 minutes while it should only be a matter of seconds. My lan settings seem ok, internets proxy is ok too. Any ideas ?

Check if your hub is 10Mbits (i.e. does it say 100Mbits, and have a status light on there anywhere?) If not, then the best you'll get is 10Mbits.

Most cable modems are 10Mbits.

samne with the hubs, if you try to use 100mbit "if there is a collision light, itll light up"

Back