• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

Ok for the last week my machine has been freezing up so, I decided to run scandisk and I found a bunch of bad sectors, and also when ever I'm making the hard drive work alot I get this loud beeping noise from my hard drive. I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that I can use to delete the bad sectors from the drive. I cant buy a new drive till next week but I use my machine everyday and I cant wait a week to use it with a new drive, so if anyone can help thanks.

Disputant

This is the order I go in when I get bad sectors...

1. Back up everything
2. Low level format the disk with the drive maker's software.
3. If the bad sectors don't go away, RMA if possible or replace the drive.

Good luck...

OP
S

Superman

I tried that but the manufacter doesnt have any kind of software for what I'm trying to do.

Disputant

You could pray that your drive holds out until you get your new one. Unless it is clicking and making weird spinning noises, you may be fine for a while. I have drives with bad sectors that have worked for a very long time.

Otherwise, what is the make and model of your drive and maybe someone in the forum knows of something?

stool

First thing to do is a backup, as Disputant said. Go to the Storage forum. At the top is a sticky called Hard Drive Diagnostics. Find the link for your drive manufacturer and DL the right diagnostic program.
You can't delete bad sectors. However, the diagnostic software will give you most if not all of the info you need to;
see if you are warranteed;
report your problem to the manufacturers tech support;
get an RMA easily.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
During a thorough scandisk, you can elect to have the bad sectors marked out never to be used again.

Who made you HD?

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Superman said:
Western Digital

Great!

They have excellent HD diagnostic utilities for you to download.

Just use the self executing exe to create the image on a floppy.

Put the floppy in your box and reboot.

Read the readmes and it will test and either fix your HD or initiate the RMA with a printable file.

Data Lifegaurd has pulled my bacon out of the fire several times. Even saved HDs I though were gonners.