• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I Need Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2Slow

Alright, I've been having this problem for about a month now. I've been searching through the forums tryin to find a fix, and I now feel I've tried everything I have read, next to buying a new mobo which I'm hoping isn't my problem. I didn't know exactly where this should fit in on the forums, so I closed my eyes and clicked. Then I reopened up IE and decided I'd keep my eyes open when clicking. :)
My problem is when I'm playing bf1942, it did happen with MOHAA but that isn't loaded anymore so I haven't tried it recently. I play bf1942 for 15 to 45 minutes, and it keeps locking up on me. Screen freezes, no BSOD, once in a while the sound will keep going, but most times not. I have to use the power button to reboot. A few times after I reboot the windows error report screen shows up and says the nvidia drivers are likely responsible for the error. Alright, I was using the 42.01, so I tried the 40.09. Same lock ups. Then I decided to try the 30.82, the ones that came with the vidio card, still the same thing. So I tried the 40.72 WHQL, and that still didn't make a difference. I did use Detonator Destroyer after the 30.82. I read about winxp and the refresh rate, didn't know if it applied to me, but I switched it back to 60hz and ran the game in the same resolution as windows. I've got the latest Via 4in1 v438, and I've flashed the bios with the latest update.

Anyway, I had a 300 Watt sparkle PSU that worked great for a year and a half, but thought maybe it was a power problem, so I went with a 350 watt sparkle. Read good things about it, and figured it should be enough for my little system. I Bought a 80 gig WD 7200, and did a fresh install of winXP. I Had a stock hsf and averaged around 50- 61, so what the hell, got a slk-800, used asIII, now temps are 38-46, but still didn't make a difference.

What really bothers me about this is that I looped 3dmark2001SE for almost 6 hours, no problems. I did have problems with the 42.01 detonators, but since I changed them it's ran fine. I scored a 9124, where before all this started happening, I was averaging 9300+ on stock settings. I have 1gig of pc2100 that I tested using memtest86 v3.0. I Ran 3 tests and it passed all three times. I ran prime95 for 4 days straight now, with no problems. So why is it struggling with bf1942?

I had the old geForce 2 MX so I pulled out the TI4200 and replaced it with the Gf2, and of course that didn't make any difference. Just the short time I have to play the game I have to turn down all the visual settings to get decent fps.
I pulled out my soundblaster live card and am running off the onboard sound, I flipped the ram chips, tried each of them by themself and now don't know where to go next with this. I'm hoping that my mobo isn't f@(#ed.
The system isn't overclocked, runs great until I play BF1942 for a little while.
Please Someone Tell Me that I missed Something SO simple that I don't have to worry about a new mobo , yet.
**Wishful Thinking**:rolleyes:

Ah... I doubt this will help, but try getting the new DirectX9? It might just work for you. Sorry, but this is all I can think of...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

Have you tried running memtest86 or prime95? If not do so, and I wouldn't bother with dx9 just yet...

Edit: umm sorry for some reason I didn't notice you already ran those tests, anyone else have any ideas?

Is bf1942 the only game your having problems with? Have you tried patching to the latest version?

Last edited:
Lower your fsb or set your memory timings less agressive. I would have the same thing happen to me with agressive memory timings and or fsb speeds.

If your mobo has settings for memory timings set the cas latency to 2.5 or 3 and see if its runs. If it has generic settings like normal/fast/turbo set it to normal.

If you have voltage adjustment for memory bump it up one increment to compensate for unstable power supply voltage.

List your system specs and mobo/chipset numbers. Just a shot in the dark but your memory may not be certified for you mobo and you may need a bios flash.

Anyways, It sounds like a memory problem to me.

I installed mohaa today and tried that, the system locked up about 15 minutes into the game. The sound was still playing, but was very choppy. I hit ctrl+alt+del and waited, about 2 minutes up comes the BSOD.
That told me that the problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp
Heres what else it said:

The device driver got stuck in an infinate loop. This usually indicates with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Then when I rebooted the Windows error reporting screen Says the following: The driver for the display device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Check for driver updates.
The display driver for NVIDIA GeForce MX 100/200 seems to be responsible for the system instability.

Now if it is the graphics driver, I have tried four different drivers, and two different Nvidia graphic cards. Could both my cards be bad? The Geforce MX worked great when I swapped it for the TI4200, which also ran great for a few months. I'm lost.

Vertical_Zer0 said:
Ah... I doubt this will help, but try getting the new DirectX9? It might just work for you. Sorry, but this is all I can think of...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

I installed DirectX9 and it didn't make any difference. Thanks, I've searched through a number of different forums but always ended back up at this one. Seemed to me to be the most knowledgeable group around. :)

Scarface72 said:

Is bf1942 the only game your having problems with? Have you tried patching to the latest version?

I didn't have the v1.2 patch installed, so I installed it and the game made it about 10 minutes.

CSaddict said:
Have you tried what seems so obvious to me? Fresh windows install?

I bought a new 80 gig WD and did a fresh install of winXP about 3 weeks ago. Did absolutely nothing.

IdreamofDSl said:
Lower your fsb or set your memory timings less agressive. I would have the same thing happen to me with agressive memory timings and or fsb speeds.

My fsb is at 133, and that is the lowest it will go. As far as the memory timing, I don't know how to adjust that. I do have everything in my bios to fail safe values though.

IdreamofDSl said:
List your system specs and mobo/chipset numbers. Just a shot in the dark but your memory may not be certified for you mobo and you may need a bios flash.

Anyways, It sounds like a memory problem to me. [/B]

Gigabyte GA-7VTXE with Via KT266A.
VIA KT266A(VT8366A) System controller north bridge
VIA VT8233 V-Link south bridge
Supports PC1600/DDR200 or PC2100/DDR266 DDR memory
I am running PC2100 DDR 266mhz ram. It's Generic but it made it through 3 tests of Memtest86 with no problems.
I have the latest bios and the latest Via 4in1 drivers installed.

Find out what your 5v,12v and 3.3v rails on your mobo is reading under full load.

Put a cd in all your drives and copy and paste from cdrom/s to hard drive. Copy at least 50mb of files to a temporary folder from each drive just to spin up all your drives (cdroms and hard drives) and run prime 95 at the same time to stress your cpu and memory. All this will stress your power supply and if you have a low voltage it will show up with all your componants drawing power.

If all voltages look ok from your hardware monitor try a volt meter directly to your mobo connectors. If that looks good I would say either your system memory or your video memory is suspect and to try another video card and or stick of ram if you have'nt already.

I had this same problem a year ago after I put arctic silver on heat spreaders for my system memory and also on my ram and gpu heatsinks on the video card. It ended up being a tiny dab of artic silver oozing over onto the pins on the memory chip and shorted. The video card survived the the Corsair Pc2400 did not. Will never do that again, but I learned a valuble lesson.

Good luck!!

Alright, I checked my voltages and heres what I came up with.
By the way I used both speedfan v.4.07 and MBM 5.

SpeedFan MBM 5

Idle:

+3.3v - 3.30 3.30
+5.0v - 5.03 5.07
+12v - 11.78 11.88

Prime 95

+3.3v - 3.30 3.30
+5.0v - 4.97 5.02
+12v - 11.84-11.91 11.94-12.01

Notice my 12v went up on both while running Prime95. Don't know if that is normal. But for the next one, I copied one CD from each drive, I have 2 cd drives. I copied one cd to the C: and the other to the F: at the same time. Anyways.

Prime95 running + Coping CD's

+3.3v - 3.30 3.30
+5.0v - 5.0 5.02
+12v - 11.84 11.94

I know that these monitors aren't totally accurate, but I'm guessing that these numbers are in a fair range.
I don't have a multimeter, nor do I even have any idea where to get the readings on my mobo. So I don't have those readings.

I have tried two video cards, and recieved the same results with both. I also have 3 sticks of ram, 2@256 and 1@512, and I have switched them around, pulled them out and tried each by themself.
Would it be possible that this is a mobo problem?
My mobo has dual bios, and for a while its been booting up off the backup bios, and when I copy the backup to the main and reboot, it won't. It'll lock up right after the main splash screen. hd light stays on the whole time.
Then I have to go back to my Qflash utility and manually switch it to boot off backup, and then theres no problem. Boots like it should. I'm sure that this probably has nothing to do with my problem, but I'm to the point where I'm desperate for a fix.This is bugging the $h1t outta me.

Dude, how would a bios issue have nothing to do with your problem. Get a new bios chip from Gigabyte or a new mobo. You have already checked everything else.

Yeah, thats kinda what I was not hoping for, but ohh well.
I got a buddy with a ti4200 that We know works that I'm gonna try out with another fresh install of WinXP. If that doesn't do it, time to go shopping for a new mobo.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I'm having the same problem, just posted about it. nv4_disp.dll or whatever caused blue screens, then I did a fresh install of Windows (not no fdisk) and installed 40.72 before anything else, and when I tried WC3 and UT2K3, it freezes for 3-5 second periods but no blue screen.

Back