• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need Laptop PCMCIA Card to Desktop P or S ATA HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey guys... I use my laptop with a PCMCIA card for small 44 pin IDE laptop hard drives, but those get their power from the extra 4 pins, which are provided through the PCMCIA bus.

I'd really like to be able to test/format/etc P/S-ATA hard drives from my laptop. I didn't find any devices for P-ATA, but I did for S-ATA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180190482516

That seller sells those all day long(or actually, they don't sell). Either way, that's just data, what about power to the HD.... I specifically ask him, and he said that all you do is plug that data cable in, and it'll work. I'm not a pro at S-ATA, but I would think it still needs power.

So my two questions are... Would that ebay adapter work(I don't think so)... And is there a P-ATA adapter, since that is what I would prefer?

Thanks! :)

It will not work without a power supply. Even the laptop SATA drives use a standard SATA power connection. Desktop PATA and SATA drives will require the appropriate power supply. This could be done with a single drive PS or a PS from a USB external PS. The only exception is the laptop 2.5" PATA drive, where the power is drawn from the 44 pin cable.

Back