• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Preachr46

I just installed Red Hat 7.2. When I try to login as root I get this after the password; you have mail, [email protected]#. When I try to do a graphical login it comes back to this also. What am I doing wrong? I scr*&^%d the pooch on windows during install, but that isn't a big deal right now. I can always re-load it!!!!:eek: Any help is appreaciated.:confused: So far I can't even get to the Gnome desktop!!!! :( :eek:

Last edited:

PolyPill

Well it says you have mail in there because linux will "mail" some error messages to root. You can forward these to your user or to /dev/null or ignore them. /etc/aliases

It comes back to that screen because you set up X incorrectly. Run your X setup again and make sure you're choosing the correct settings for everything.

OP
Preachr46

Preachr46

Hey PolyPill;

I tried what you suggested above, but still can't get past the host issue. I completely re-installed RedHat and I guess I still got it wrong!!!!:eek: It's back to the book for me lol. The book I have is
Red Hat Linux 7.2 Unleashed. It was loaned to me so I could try
Linux with the included disks. It's going to be a real learning experience:eek:

XWRed1

Ah yes, that was one of my suspicions, but I figured Redhat 7.2 came with a new enough version of Xfree to support the 8500.

AFAIK, there's no 3D support at all unless you buy a commercial X server, though :(

OP
Preachr46

Preachr46

I have found after doing an exstensive web search, that the only linux drivers available for the 8500 are by a company called Xi. They want $129USD for thier drivers lol.:mad: I do have an alternative though. I have a Kyro II agp video card, and I also have Linux drivers for it. I even have install instructions.:D Now all I have to do is figure out how to do all of this in text mode lol.
I will get done in spite of myself. The down side is the Kyro II isn't anywhere near as powerful as the 8500. The upside is now I can do a hsf & ram sink mod on the 8500 without having to rush it. Oh the joys of the learning process:rolleyes:

XWRed1

I would think that the instructions would tell you how to do it from the command line... feel free to recite them and prove me wrong.