• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need the word on some really good 2.1 Speakers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok. I just sold my Z-680's and I want to get some good 2.1 speakers. I'm thinking of getting the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, not the GDX, those weird looking, flying saucer speakers, but the old school 2.1's. They're going for like 170 at some websites I've found, but I wanted to know if anyone can suggest something better?

I don't want to get any 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 systems, as I don't have anywhere to put the other speakers, so just suggestions on 2.1 sets please. Thanks a bunch!

the best thing to do is go listen to some. I would think some Klipsch would be the best but if its an affordability issue just go listen.

Klipsch 2.1 is loud! I got them for my dad's office and they rock! This is with an on-board sound card on a new HP, so I'd imagine they are really nice on a SB card.

Just shell out the dough and pick up the Promedia 2.1's as they are the absolute best sounding 2.1 computer system available. I own a set of em, and when comparing them to my Infinity Alpha 50 towers they sound quite reasonable and are heads and shoulders above the z560's I also own. In short buy them now!

Amino said:
Do you guys know if there's a headphones jack on the Klipsch's?

Yes, there is.

And from my trials with the Promedia 2.1s , I experienced no hiss or any other problems for that matter (very nice sounding speakers).

As for havnig a home stereo -- I went from a $600+ Sony home theater to my Logitech z560s, because the Logitechs sound better (to my ears at least) and cost 1/3 the price. If you're into sinking extra dough into a stereo system, then go for it. They're overrated and on their way out as HT PCs are the latest craze (if you look at the surround speaker packages being released, they're nothing more than PC speakers anyway! ie -- smallish satellites, 8/10" sub, etc).

simpleman said:
i've herd and read in reviews that Klipsch speakers have a bad hiss.

Yes they do! My Klipsch 2.1 GMX speakers throw out a really bad white noise hiss....its the absolute worste I have ever heard! The slight hiss that my Z-680's give off sound like a pin drop compared to the klipsch sonic assault.

:(

simpleman said:

krag said:

Yes they do! My Klipsch 2.1 GMX speakers throw out a really bad white noise hiss....its the absolute worste I have ever heard! The slight hiss that my Z-680's give off sound like a pin drop compared to the klipsch sonic assault.

:(

I cant think of a single speaker set that hasnt had some people say there is a trmendous hiss, and other swear by. Its a luck of the draw really...no company can have 100% perfect manufacturing.

Evnas said:

I cant think of a single speaker set that hasnt had some people say there is a trmendous hiss, and other swear by. Its a luck of the draw really...no company can have 100% perfect manufacturing.

Heh! "Subjective Hissing." ;)

simpleman said:

HHmm ....

I have an older set of Promedia 4.1 ver2's , but after owning them for well over 3 years , I have yet to notice ANY type of "hiss" associated with these speakers . I mean NADA , NOTHING, ZIP for hiss so far in either gaming , music or movies done on my PC .
I realize there are many factors to consider that may cause a "hiss" , or maybe Iam just got a lucky set of Promedia's ( but doubtful) ; but the combination of my TBSC s/card , the Monster Cable they are contected by and/or the use of APC surge protectors on ALL my eqipment may also play a roll in the absolute perfect LACK of "hiss" on my Promedias .
So far Ive been a VERY VERY HAPPY customer of my Promedia 4.1's since they day they were purchased .

"HISS NOT INCLUDED WITH PACKAGE" (j/k) :p

My.02

;) :D

As for havnig a home stereo -- I went from a $600+ Sony home theater to my Logitech z560s, because the Logitechs sound better (to my ears at least) and cost 1/3 the price. If you're into sinking extra dough into a stereo system, then go for it. They're overrated and on their way out as HT PCs are the latest craze (if you look at the surround speaker packages being released, they're nothing more than PC speakers anyway! ie -- smallish satellites, 8/10" sub, etc).

that may be true for home theatre in a box systems, but for the real HT stuff that couldn't be further from the truth. My computer speakers are 2 JBL S310s and a 12" sub. The JBLs are a 3way design with a 1" tweeter a 5" midrange and a 10" low frequency driver. The sub on most computer systems is 6.5" and the really good ones are 8". My sub is nearly twice the size of the those and it runs on 400watts from a dedicated amplifier. So, do you think the promedias or logitch Zs can beat my setup. I would bet no. Oh, and by the way, "rea"l HT is the fastest growing market according to best buy profit studies.

As for the speakers, the high end logitechs and the promedias are your best bet. If you want to get a HT style setup check out www.jandr.com they have some good deals on some pretty decent stuff, and are willing to deal if you call them.

good luck on your purchase.

Pinky said:

Yeah but this is 'bout STEREO (2 Channels) as in 2 speakers, no HT stuff.

A good AMP and a pair of highend speakers will sound way better than any PC speakers. I have heard the Kilipsch 2.1's and compared to my friends Mission and NAD setup the klipsches sound like ****.

And niether the Klipsh nor the Logitech 5.1's can touch my friends days system, which cost him what you would pay for a car :drool:...

you should check out the M-Audio 2.1 setup. its expensive but wow major quality. these are basically studio monitors and a sub. the only problem i see is that they have different connections. if memory serves they need 1/4 jacks instead of minijacks. they may come with the appropriate cables, but i'm not sure. :)

i think they are about 250-300 for the trio.

Back