• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to change my boot partition letter!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

I reinstalled windows and it named my system hdd F:, and EVRYTHING needs C: to be the system partition. How can i change it? i tried MMC but it doesnt let u cuz its the system partition... :(

ClarkKent

Partition Magic allows you to change drive letters I don't know much about it other than it can. If you did some research on it I'm sure you could find out how.

Kendan

Senior Punk
you can not do it. thje system directory can not be changed from the drive letter it was installed on. A reformat is your only option. What is this everything you mention? The more info you give us the better we can help answer your question. By that I mean there might be another way to fix it if you tell us what is giving you the problems with the system drive not being C:

Myhre

GTac02 said:
I reinstalled windows and it named my system hdd F:, and EVRYTHING needs C: to be the system partition. How can i change it? i tried MMC but it doesnt let u cuz its the system partition... :(

I truly don't beleive there is a way to change it. I tried changing it in the registry a couple weeks ago on another computer by first freeing up the driver letter C: by replacing it with F: and then changing my partition to C: and changing F: back to whatever my partition letter was. Long story short, my computer would get to the welcome screen and would not prefetch correctly and load into windows. I ultimately had to reformant. I don't mind the reformats because I like a fresh new install every once in a while. But then again I always keep all mission critical data on my rig's spare drives.

ClarkKent

With Partition Magic 8 I'm sure there was something about changing drive letters. I'm not sure if it applies to system drives but I'll go and take a look at the documentation for you. Also I know it's annoying to have your system drive as something other than C, I ran my system off of D for the longest time. But your progs should still work it's just a pain.

ocicide

Registered
I had the same problem on a friends machine, ended up doing a repair install w/ XP, solved the problem. good luck!

medo145

i think u can do this
disconnect all ur cd drives and anything thats connected to the ide and just leave the system hdd connected once u boot it should recognize it as c: then shut down and connect the other ide devices (btw make the drive u want to be C: master)
hope it works

ClarkKent

That will work on a clean install. It will not fix the problem he is currently in. I have to disconnect my IDE HD when I install windows so that Windows Install will recognize my SATA array as C. But it will only work on a clean install.

chrisman

Registered
Kendan said:
you can not do it. thje system directory can not be changed from the drive letter it was installed on. A reformat is your only option. What is this everything you mention? The more info you give us the better we can help answer your question. By that I mean there might be another way to fix it if you tell us what is giving you the problems with the system drive not being C:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188

shadowdr

Like Kendan said,a little more info wouldn't hurt.I have used the way medo 145 has suggested however it is important why the partition was named F: to begin with.Keep in mind that the drive/partition must be an active partition to be named C:.IF it is not active you cannot get the letter to be C: no matter the method because any boot partition/drive will have to be active.Use a 98 or other boot disk with fdisk on it to check it.

medo145

as i recall you can use norton ghost to make the drive an active partition, i believe partition magic should let you do the same

medo145

with XP you can go to run and type diskmgmt.msc and you can make the partition active from there

good luck

Myhre

medo145 said:
with XP you can go to run and type diskmgmt.msc and you can make the partition active from there

good luck

It won't let you, I tried that as well. It won't let you change the letter on the OS boot partition. There are a lot of things tied to that drive letter.

medo145

could he put his drive as a slave into another computer that has a OS on it and then go to diskmanagement and change it to active then put the drive back into his own and then boot it as active without all the other ide components then restart and plug the rest in

Myhre

medo145 said:
could he put his drive as a slave into another computer that has a OS on it and then go to diskmanagement and change it to active then put the drive back into his own and then boot it as active without all the other ide components then restart and plug the rest in

Hmm....not sure, but if I were to try that I would make sure that I had all important material off of the computer first. Especially out of his User Documents and Settings folder if they have been made private. Since you won't be able to get back into those without actually loading to the OS, which might be impossible.

Edit: All I know is that I was able to succesfully change the drive letter on a system that I have and it ended up messing up the install somehow. And I did it directly through the registry. I really don't think it will work because all of the files and folders on your system are going to path back to the original drive letter, and those paths aren't going to change just because you astheticly changed the drive letter. So when they try and find the original drive letter and it's now assigned to a CDROM, etc. or even a drive that doesn't exist then your going to have major problems. Your best bet is a clean install.

medo145

or if he doesnt wanna do that he could do what ocicide suggested and do a repair install without the other hdd(s) connected

Kendan

Senior Punk
chrisman said:

Did you even read the Original post or the link you posted?

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system. Follow the procedure that is described in this article only to recover from a drive letter change, not to change an existing computer drive to something else. Back up your registry keys before you make this change.

He installed as F so your link is not for him!

kct2

I have a computer that is running with an F: as the system drive and there are no problems. As far as I can tell NOTHING needs the system drive to be C:. Once in a while a program install will default to C:\ instead of using the standard variable for the system volume (%SystemDrive%). You simply need to change that to F: from C:. It takes about 1 second, and is alittle bit easier than reinstalling windows - just make sure you get it right the next time you re-install