• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really dont understand the point of high end computer speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good f**king god. WOW. I walked into a store one day and they wanted no less than 5 grand for a receiver and that was the cheapest item they had. Those B+W's are nice. I listened to a set of those one day and they have kickass sound. For now, I'll stick with my sony's for my home theater and my creatives til I get some dinero.
Doc

Its personal preference...some people love high quality sound...just like some people love high quality picture...I think the sound card, video card, and speakers are three things I'm willing to spend my money on to make my computer experience much better.

I'll spend the money, just not THAT much. Sound is definitely worthwhile to me. Video is also worthwhile. I may want that thousand dollar lcd, but I'll wait til it comes down. I can deal with the two 17 inchers I have. Seriously, who can actually afford 5 thousand dollar speakers? Anyone here stupid rich?
Doc

Well said BaldHeadedDork. However, your argument can be placed on anything. There is always some one who is very passionate about a subject/hobby (sports, cars, computers, art), while others are happy to go the "mainstream" way.

Again, good points, but there is nothing wrong with some one persuing the highest standards in anything.

How this for ya? >=D

I think this is a pretty useful thread, and some people might want to take a look at it, so resurrection, here we come :D

oh man, oh man

1200bucks in speakers for a DYI'er like myself is liek a friggen gold mine!

all you gotta do is find good components, make your own enclosures, and design your own crossovers

when you know what you;re doing, 1200 is a fortune

they have competitions somewhere where you get 100bucks in material to design your own bookself speakers....

you don;t get high quality speakers or anything, but you do get components to design your crossover and enclosures....

with under 100 bucks, peopel have built speakers that sounds just as good as speakers that coset upwards of 6-800bucks

mook said:
In regards to HotKoala...he's right. A good speaker system runs 1200+ a speaker.

I've got mine wired up to a 20k home theater. Guess how badass it sounds running UT2k3? :D

Little FYI....everyones ears are different in that regards. Some people live with cheap speakers. Some people invest a few hundred dollars in good computer speakers. Some wire it up to a basic stereo. Then there's us audiophiles who could care less :D

To each their own :)

yet you are playing it on a ti4200...

i would rather run eye candy than ear candy myself

Originally posted by Can O' Beans:
Most people that have a whole home audio system have it set up around the TV in the living room, with properly placed & angled surround speakers. In order for this kind of system to work with the PC, you would basically have to have the PC right near where the TV is (or use it with the TV - i.e. a nice widescreen digital ).

Ha ha, at last someone else spotted the age old problem. I have my PC exactly in the centre of my bedroom room, to the inch, with centre speaker on top of the monitor and fronts all the same level.
So no way could I have a home cinema TV in the same room. I'd never do that though, I'd only have my PC in one room, and home cinema in another. It just messes things up to much for me.

Although i did often think about getting a projector and pull the screen down from the ceiling over the PC monitor....
;)

skahtul said:
If I could afford the speakers, this is what I would hook them up to. 200 watts per chanel and COKE CAN sized caps, wow.

That looks like a nice reciever, but its power output is rather low for something that costs 8000 dollars :eek:

Personally I'd get a Outlaw 950 pre-pro, and use 3 Crown K2 amplifiers each in bridge-mono mode for the front 3 channels. I'd use 2 K1's to power the 4 surround speakers. The Outlaw costs 800, and you can get the K2's for around 1300 each, and the K1's for 1050 each. So that would be 1000 dollars less than the Onkyo, and your output power to the front 3 speakers would be about 10 times higher into 8 ohms. The rear speaker power output would be 2-3 times greater. IMO thats the problem with a reciever, you cant fit all that much stuff in an enclosure that large.

Of course my setup would take up a TON more space, but if you have 8 grand to spend, im sure you can figure a way to house it all effectively :clap:

I personally have a Pioneer VSX-D309 reciever, 4 KLH 9900 Sattelites, Sony SAW250 8" 100w, and a KLH center channel (2x4" and 1"). Not great, but i would like to sometime upgrade to something more..... impressive for my entertainment device.

theELVISCERATOR said:
yet you are playing it on a ti4200...

i would rather run eye candy than ear candy myself
You're talking at someone whose last post was in April of 2003, and who made the post to which you are referring in November of 2002.

Please don't diss on people's things ;)

Last edited:
Back