• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really F'd up this time. Any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Just the other day, I was on shuttle's website to get a newer bios for my nforce2 igp mn31n mobo I got from newegg a couple of months ago. I downloaded "winflash" to flash the bios from windows as I don't have a floppy drive. Well, I followed all of the directions to a 'T' and guess what? While it was flashing it said some error about too large of a file size. I of course thought nothing of it. I turned my pc off an hour later and just turned it back on this afternoon. Or should I say tried to. I've spent 5 of the past 9 hours trying to fix it. I currently have just the motherboard, the processor, 1 stick of ram, the heatsink, and the power supply hooked up, not to mention my monitor. NOTHING I try could get it to post or even beep. Only the fans spin and light comes on. I'd love to rma it or even get it repaired, but, it was a newegg refurb. Shuttle doesn't warranty refurbs and newegg does for only 15 days. I've really done it this time. I'm out of a good computer and a replacement motherboard is $87. That wouldn't be too bad if I had any money at all, but I really had to dig for pennies for my monitor I bought with the help of my mom and stepdad. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do? At least I can surf the web still (333mhz iMac), but thats about it.

Cutter

I think there is a person around in the services part of the forums/classifieds, that you might be able to send him the specs of your bios chip snd He will flash a new one for you, or you could email shuttle and have them send you a new bios chip. You will however have to figure out how to get the bad one out as I have never done this before.

Just a thought, probably not much help, but at least I rread your post and offered a little help:)

OP
Quailane

Quailane

Do those bios chips just "pull out" of that little plastic socket thingy?

OP
Quailane

Quailane

A good pair of my dad's trusty but not rusty pliers would suffice.

StinkNBreff

Dont try to pull that bios chip with pliers . Only a tool made for your kind of chip will work .. Also a lot of times ( if you had a floppy drive ) blind auto-flashing works . If you can get a known working floppy , I will make you a floppy image that will auto-flash your bios for you .. Remember to clear cMos before and after a flash .. PM me if you want it ..

OP
Quailane

Quailane

I have a floppy I can pull from my stepdad's rig that is in working order. Could you really? That would be awesome.

Balrog

If S.N.B. floppy doesn't work for you I believe you can hot flash it using the BIOS chip from one of your AN35Ns. Let me know if you need to do this and I'll give you more info. Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

StinkNBreff

I sent you the floppy image files and instructions !! Pm me and post back if it worked !! if it does - I accept PayPal !!

autoMATTic

What I would have did was install a floppy drive and then flashed the bios with a floppy disk that has only command on it and the bios file. If the bios was small enough to fit on it that is. Boot up the computer with the disk in. I believe the Bios maybe one of the ones that will just auto flash when you type the bios name under command. I have a Shuttle board also and thats how I flashed mine. Even though floppy drives are old, you might still wanna have one in your computer just in case of something like this or if a friend needs to open a file on your computer and its saved on a disk.

StinkNBreff your not really serious about charging the guy are you? Whatever happened to the brotherly love amongst overclockers? :)

Pred8r

Don't hotflash, i read somewhere(slips my mind where it was, i think it was a bios re-flasher website) that it kills both bios like 90 percent of the time.
ps get a plcc puller at radioshack to remove the bios

StinkNBreff

Hotflash is removing the bios after bios is booted and enters windows , then flashing the bad chip I thought .. anyways , I have done the method I have passed on to Qualiane a few times . The reason it works is most of the time , even if a bios is "ruined" the boot block is not reprogrammed , also if you unplug all drives except the boot block , it kicks in and boots from floppy . So the "autoflash" from floppy method works good .
I am not charging him , but if he feels I helped , instead of having to wait for a new bios chip + paying for the puller and chip , I saved him lots of time and money he would've unnecessarily spent , so h3ll yes pay me .. Otherwise , if he doesnt have payPal $$ - A thanx is payment enough .. I think he may have left the floppy in his dad pc and let it boot accidently or something , cuz he hasnt come back in a few days , Im thinking he has no pc to get online and tell me / us if it worked properly or not . I hope all is ok .. Let us know Qua .. [email protected]!t..

OP
Quailane

Quailane

Hey, I haven't been able to go to this forum these last couple of days at all. I don't know what the problem is. None of 3 computers hooked up to surf web can go to these forums. One has xp, other mac os9, other on linux. All other web sites seem fine though. I am typing this from my dad's house right now. I'll be able to try to fix the bios tonight from my mom and stepdad's house. Speaking of payment, if I get the board fixed, I'll set it to fold to your profile for a couple of weeks, if you'd like that. If you want to contact me do [email protected] otherwise I won't be able to read it at these forums.

OP
Quailane

Quailane

I got my iMac working at my mom's house again. Just to let you know.