• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I really need help, CANT ANYONE HELP ME!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kan12

Registered
I have a PC which i have spent alot of time on building myself and it was working fine for a while until one day it started switching off at either the point of loading up windows or even at bios. People suggested it was a motherboard problem. I have tried to change the motherboard from a gigabyte RZ series to an intel motherboard, Problem got WORSE, the computer didnt even switch on properly, their was nothing showing on the screen only fans moved, then after a while of testing and switching the computer on/off, everything just stopped moving and i just saw a light coming from the motherboard. Then as i keep monitoring my treads from this forum, they said it might be a PSU problem, now this PSU aint really that old, and it doesnt look messed up, however if this is really the problem i will replace it today. IT is a 420W power supply, not sure of make, i think its MESH. I have already wasted money on a new motherboard, so this time i want to be certain that its the power supply. If not please tell me if its anyting else.
Specs:
420W MESH Power supply
Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
Gigabte 8S661FXMP-RZ (when it was working, then stopped working)
Intel desktop board D865GLC (when it still aint working)
1GB DDR RAM
Geforce 7600 AGP
2x LG DVD RAM/ CD RW
5 Fans
Windows Vista Ultimate

Ive posted about 2 other threads about this already and no one has been able to help me. As an intermediate PC user this problem is quite a challenge for me, so i know there are many advanced users here to help me with this problem. Please help, my other posts did not help before.

Last edited:
Could be any number of things but the first thing you should do is swap out the PSU to see if that is the problem. Next should be the RAM and lastly you can check the CPU.

Wait, before you buy a new PSU, do you have any more RAM modules? Try swapping that 1GB out first.

I have just changed the motherboard back to the original and it worked for a while. It started up even went into sfae mode and stayed on for a few minutes. So i restarted the computer and went into the normal mode and it switched off at the loading screen. then i switched it on again and it swtched off at bios. I dont know what to do know. There is even a squeking noise comping from around the motherboard but i dont know if thats the RAM or the motherboard or the CPU. The capacitors look fine, everthing looks perfect.

By the way i felt the ram and it did feel a little hot.

P.S. i onli had the CPU fan on wen i was testing it.

if it was leaking from the motherboard, would it still switch off?
im not really sure where the sqeeking is comming from but i think its near the motherboard. the only thing that is giving me doubts is that when i put the other motherboard in, it was hardly working but i didnt hear squeeking, is that because it only squeeks when the power supply is used more?

Id definitely swap out the PSU. Try to borrow one from a friend or use a spare if you have any first though.

thanx for all your help everyone, i have FINNALLY found the problem. it wasnt really your fault the reason y u didnt know the solution. My heatink was not firm on the processor because the clips where broken. i have finally found the problem, thanks everyone for your help. All i need to do is replace the fan

Back