• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I realy need your help! my 2400xp DEAD? HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natopotato

ok ima tell it like it happened

1. think i turned on pc when i got home [but im not shure] then i left the room for about 30min. when i came back pc was OFF!

2. then i turned it back on and got a "no boot disk detected" error a lil confused i rebooted same thing when i went to check the bios it was all corrupted [black with a blue boarder i get it when i have a o/c to high] so i reset the bios and rebooted checked the bios and it was seeing the hds so i tried booting a few more times then i was like

"OHHH S%*T"

my pump was not on

3. i let it cool down dumped ice in my res and turned it back on

4. after a few test reboots my bios stayed norm.

5. i try to boot windows and i get a "no boot disk" error again

6. i try to repair my xp install and it says no install detected

7. find out i dont have any partitions formated WTF

8. when i try to reinstall windows and try to make a new partition it jumps back to the make partition screen and it will not make a partition. every time i try it juz goes back the the previus screen endlessly

9. i poped 1 of my hds into my dads pc and i get a virus alarm for boot sector change... i said not to allow the change and was able to successfully install windows

10. i put the formated fresh windows install into my computer again [and i turned on virus bios alarm and shure enough i got the alarm when i booted i chose not to allow changes] when i tried to continue boot i was back where i started with no partitions or any hd content

im already very ****ed that about 70 gigs of movies and mp3s are probly f^&ked over plz tell me where it sounds like the problem is

it seems like they are not directly related to a overheated cpu and more like a mother board problem

what kinda damage am i looking at....

guyz i realy need ur help

im trien to save the contents of 1 of my hds cuz its got my 35gig movie collection on it hopfully i can run a recovery program on it

Sorry for your loss but CDR are not exactly expensive these days. Try putting your disks in another machine as secondary drives and then if you can see the data, COPY IT!!!!!

sounds like maybe hard drive corruption due to pci being out of spec, or maybe just some s*** luck, but not a cpu problem. what were your fsb and dividers at?

did you pull the cpu out to see if there is any visible damage?

What about booting off a floppy and running memtest or something like that. I know it's a memory tester and not a cpu tester but it should give an indication as to if the cpu is fried or maybe just your mobo or hard drives.

I myself have made a similar mistake a few times with my 9700 pro (forgetting to turn on the peltier+h2o pump). Amazingly, one time I got halfway through the second 3DMark test without the peltier+pump turned on. This is at 400mhz core!! I turned on the pump and it never crashed and finished 3dmark without probs :D

Opie lemme get ur compare link......

sorry nat...
in my expieriences there is no half way fried cpu its either gone or here u know? so if you can get the computer on and into the bios then its not the CPU sounds like the Motherboard or your memory.... try swapping those 2 see what happens... make sure all the extra OS features are off in the bios as well.... if that doens't work TURN EM ON.... seems like windows xp wants to boot ur hd on its own... if i sound delerious i just woke up

Just the fact that you're able to boot into your bios means your cpu is ok. It's your HD/OS that's the problem. Check to see that the IDE ribbon is properly plugged in also. I once got the no boot disk error and the ribbon wasn't snugly inserted.

Last edited:
maxima is right, because you can get into your BIOS means that your CPU is working fine. So, don't worry about that. If it is hdd corruption (which I had two times), then you will need to reinstall everything. Just try booting, if you get the cd-rom working, off of the Windows disk you have and reinstalling the OS. Back down the OC, too, because if it's data corruption, then your PCI is out of spec. But, from what you say in your initial post, you may have permanently ruined you hdd. I would say to just put another one in right now (maybe buy one, or borrow one) to see if it's that.

What hdd is it? I had a WD that did this a couple of times, and then I got my current Maxtor, and it's working great.

Not necessarily. He could have easily damaged L1 or L2 cache on the CPU and that would explain his problem. Hopefully that is not the case but it is possible.

If he put the HD in another computer, got it running and when he reinstalled it in his and it did not work, then the hd is not the problem. Motherboard, memory or CPU.

Does your watercooling cool the northbridge on your mobo?

Does it cool your graphics chip?

ok guyz thx for all the responces ok...

the hdd worked fine on my other comp [execept i keep getting a virus boot sector change worning]

i have 3 hdd's
maxtor 5400 40gig
WD 30gig 7200
seagate 80gig 7200

i can get all the way into the windows install till it asks me to make a partition of the unpartitioned space and it wont make 1

i tell it what size i want it and it juz goes back to the screen sayen i have a completly unpartitioned drive [it does not do this on my other pc]

my WC system only cools the cpu which is why i cant figure this out

why would any thing else be damaged

also

another posiblilty i have a generic 300w psu i know its not enough and iv noticed that i canot turn on my pc some times and i found that if i wiggle the power cable group that connects to the mobo it will turn on... could this have somthen to do with it?

i did a bios reset via battery pull last night so ima go try to get it to work again ill let u know what happens then hopfully we can work this out

ps...
my voltages 3 @ 3.03 5 @ 5.1 12 @ 11.78
my cpu was at 166x13.5 [multiplier of 5] 1.8v completly stable

Wow, this is strange. I don't understand why it won't be able to partition. I know this is stupid, but make sure there are no big scratches on the CD, but that's probably not it. :(

I don't really see the PSU causing this problem, but one never knows. Maybe the PSU isn't pumping enough, if at all, volts to the hdd, therefore not allowing the partition problem. Maybe, but probably not.

>> i did a bios reset via battery pull last night so ima go try to get it to work again ill let u know what happens then hopfully we can work this out <<

That's a good idea, that's what I would've done too. Tell me/us how that goes, and hopefully that's the problem...

ok UPDATE after the hard bios reset i tried again to partion and this time i chose tomake a fat partion it WORKED!@#!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D god im so happy somthen is working hehe whew....

any way im finishing up the reinstall i did all the installing on my empty 30gig WD drive that was empty to start with now im going to try to restore the important files on my other 2 drives

and im going to use the HOLE 50 pack of CDS ijuz got if i need to to back ALL my stuff up if i get it back

i dont know if it was the battery reset or if it was choosing the fat instead of ntfs but ill find out in a bit when i try to make a ntfs partition

thx guyz ill keep u posted

i know its the wrong forum but if u know of good hdd recovery software let me know plz

ok now im scared again

my "boot sector alarm juz went off again

do i allow the changes or not allow the changes

i dont realy want to reinstall windows again

HELP|!@#!@ :(

Back