• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think i have hit my limit, suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I ran this test this morning to see how my athlon would handle it. unfortunatly, 175 fsb causes some serious bsod issues. but this could be tracked to my ram as the vcore does NOT increase from 1.84. this is very strange, kinda makes me wonder why the jump in viltage from 1800 mhz to 2000 is soo steep as at 180 fsb, it was still maintaining 1.86vcore, which my board can supply without modding. this is 2000 mhz and yet, it fails to boot.

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/redmedia/cpuvsram4.jpg

here is my result at 175 mhz fsb and cas 2.5 timings at 333 dram speed. obviously, my dram is overclocked to 350, which should be TOO bad for it. one of these days, i might set its timings to cas 3 mod and see how it will handle 180, ram performence will suck arse, but If it boots into windows, i can run some benchmarks and see if 2000 mhz is possible.

/me need's geil ram.

anyway, any suggestions would be great, this is fun stuff, but only if it can do it stable. my current rig is running 171 mhz uncrashable. I would sure like to know why 175 takes uncrashable and turns it into unrunable ;) i had to reset my rtc last time i tried that speed as the machine wouldnt even go into the bios.

hallen

What voltage are you feeding your DIMMS?
Does your board have a 1/5 divisor for I/O?

It could be that you cpu just ran out of gas. It happens.

What week was it manufactured? 0213 is the best.

edit: Also what are you using for cooling?

What is your power supply unit?

Last edited:
OP
Valk

Valk

I have not fed my dimm additional voltage as giving it anything but default makes it crashy.

I will repeat my cpu

ax1600 mt3c
agoia 0212xpuw
y 8034881271

To cool this I am using a volcano 9 very seriously lapped. I have smoothed it to a mirror finish and it is running at full speed giving me a load temp of 46ºC thanks to my fan duct. the duct uses 2 80 mm delta fans to feed the single volcano 9 fan. works very well.

my board DOES have a 1/5 divider for pci/system and im using a enermax 350 watt switching power supply. its a little old though. I kept it from my pIII.

incidently, i tried to feed my ram 2.6 and 2.7 but this did not help me any. the system still bsod's when any load is run on it.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
the mhz issue should be resolved by lowering the fsb and using a higher multi.not many mobos can do higher than 170fsb.

hallen

Valk said:

ax1600 mt3c
agoia 0212xpuw
y 8034881271

Good but 0213 y would be slightly better. Too late now.

incidently, i tried to feed my ram 2.6 and 2.7 but this did not help me any. the system still bsod's when any load is run on it.

Hmmn. Crucial likes lots of juice. Check the threads it could be that your board doesn't like the Crucial.

Have you got anyone nearby that can lend you a stick of Samsung?

edit: Try2.8v.

Also 2-3-3-1t memory setting.

Last edited:

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
I think you should swap chips with me...I've got an almost identical chip as yours....

I'll swap ya one that does 12.5 x 140 = 1750....and run yours in my dually and get 1800 x 2. :p

j/k ;)

I'll be setting up the duallie in my H20 rig in the next couple of days....maybe the slightly better cooling will let me get a bit more from that chip. 1750 is awesome, but I'd love to see both of 'em running 12.5 x 144.....:D (one of mine will, running seperately on a single board)

1800 is a great O/C...even if you don't get any more, you've done pretty well....

Cheers! :beer:

B.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I have 2 900s that don't get more than 200 mhz of OC, period.

I had an XP1800 that barely made it to 1700 mhz.

Each chip will have its own limits and you may have hit yours:( but the suggestion to try different ram is a very good one:
all Micron memory chips seem to take high speeds much better with extra voltage- if yours isn't responding well I think it may be the board not liking the ram. (You would be the first person I heard of with Micron-chipped ram that didn't like voltage, but not the first person with a mobo that didn't like Crucial.)

Another point is temps: I have no interest in AMD's specs due to the way I use my chips:D
At high FSB and cpu speeds the safe temp points are completely different: the high 40c range is where I start having problems with every computer I have ever had over 166 mhz fsb.

A note on cooling: if it is possible, placing the computer near a window and ducting air to it is like free refrigeration:)

maxima88

I also think your temps are too high. I got an extra 80-mhz o/c just by using a SK-7 and 80cfm delta fan.

Deathstar, I've gotten my RAM upto 206FSB with the same mobo as yours.

Last edited:
OP
Valk

Valk

Im getting pretty temps with my volcano 9 here. 39º idle 48º load. not bad. I have two 80 mm case fans ducted to it sucking in cold air from outside. I have also had to removed the fan from my radeon heat sink cause it died and i have a 80 mm ducted into a 50 to cool that.. crappy heatsink ati gives us but its working.I have yet to unlock my chip, but in honestly, i cant kill it at 1.8 ghz, so i dont think im gonna try.