• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed my Phenom II 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Apparently neither of them has one...
Get one, so you can find out what's causing the problem.
As far as PSU line testing - yes, it can be done with a multimeter.
Jump pins 3 & 4 on the 24 pin connector (green & black) to get it running and see if all lines 3/5/12/etc work properly.

I used to leave out the internal speaker because it added clutter, now i have one on every board i use.
also next time you order stuff get a psu tester they run $15.00 and, also get a psu pig tail, it jumpers the corret terminals on the 24 pin connector, they run $1.99. these will be pricless to you if you like to build and repair your own stuff.

Multimeter is as good as the $15 psu tester he'd buy, and jumping the PSU is pretty easy without paying someone $2 to do it in my opinion. Not that those are bad suggestions, I just feel cheap I guess about little things like that which I have tools on hand to get it done (multimeter+paperclips).

Your case doesn't have a speaker in it that you can connect to the proper mobo header? A lot of boards aren't including the speakers anymore.

I.M.O.G., as much stuff as i have killed $20.00 is pretty cheap.
I am so stupid I go so far as to mark my 1394 ports so i don't plug a usb connector into them ( they plug right in upside down and roast every usb item you plug into it).
I have never done this myself of course.( fingers crossed behind my back).

I.M.O.G., as much stuff as i have killed $20.00 is pretty cheap.
I am so stupid I go so far as to mark my 1394 ports so i don't plug a usb connector into them ( they plug right in upside down and roast every usb item you plug into it).
I have never done this myself of course.( fingers crossed behind my back).
Give me 20 bucks if they don't mean anything to you. ;)
Almost all of us have destroyed expensive stuff in the past, doesn't mean we can't use the extra 20 bucks.

Back to the PC speaker: Don't they normally come with the case, not the mobo? Mine did, anyway.

This was the case for me at least. The speaker for my setup came from the case i bought not motherboard. You would think it would be the other way around though.

In my sig, there is a link on testing PSUs with a multimeter.
I'd do that before doing anything else.
What model of OCZ 600w PSU?

I really think it is a psu or terminal issue, please use the link in bobnovas sig before spending any money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, here are some results!
Multimeter results yielded that all voltages were normal.

Oranges were @ 3.3v
Reds were at 5.11v
Yellows were at 12.25v

I also got an old Radeon X800 from my house and put it in (which I know to be functional). Still no display. Leads me to believe it's very likely the CPU. What do you guys think?

Pull the CPU and check for bent pins. We sometimes see this kind of video problem when CPU pins get bent.

That could be the problem now trent, but in his first post he described that the problem started with a currently operating system. The CPU may have been physically damaged when swapping it into another board, possibly worth checking, but that's probably a long shot.

Have you confirmed there is no case speaker in your case? I didn't see an answer on that front.

That could be the problem now trent, but in his first post he described that the problem started with a currently operating system. The CPU may have been physically damaged when swapping it into another board, possibly worth checking, but that's probably a long shot.

Have you confirmed there is no case speaker in your case? I didn't see an answer on that front.

Yep, I guess I was too lazy to read the front end of the thread.

Actually, there is an audio cable that runs from the case with two ends, which are for audio and read HDA or AC'97. Would either of these ends be connected to a speaker? Just taking a guess, but if I'm not mistaken they're for connecting the audio jack of the case to the mobo...

The only reason I got an X800 from my house was because I opened up our old family Dell to search for a speaker. There was one, however it was permanently affixed to the motherboard and basically I'm not willing to swap everything back out and try that old one out...

At this point, I sold a bike for $600 today and I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on a new FX Quad Core Processor :p

I have a gut feeling that it's the CPU at this point. Any CPU recommendations are welcome haha. I have no shame.

Actually, there is an audio cable that runs from the case with two ends, which are for audio and read HDA or AC'97. Would either of these ends be connected to a speaker? Just taking a guess, but if I'm not mistaken they're for connecting the audio jack of the case to the mobo...

The only reason I got an X800 from my house was because I opened up our old family Dell to search for a speaker. There was one, however it was permanently affixed to the motherboard and basically I'm not willing to swap everything back out and try that old one out...

At this point, I sold a bike for $600 today and I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on a new FX Quad Core Processor :p

I have a gut feeling that it's the CPU at this point. Any CPU recommendations are welcome haha. I have no shame.

I'm pretty sure the cable you are talking about is for the case's front audio jack not for the speaker. So that you can plug in your head phones and such from the front of the case instead of having to plug them in the back and such.

I'm pretty sure the cable you are talking about is for the case's front audio jack not for the speaker. So that you can plug in your head phones and such from the front of the case instead of having to plug them in the back and such.

That's what I figured. Alright, well it's off to Newegg for an FX-6300 Vishera for me! I'll report back when I get it, which will be Saturday afternoon because of how close they're located to me :D.

After a thorough inspeaction, there are no bent pins. It may be worth noting that I lapped this CPU very carefully. I did ever so slightly bend one pin when it was new but fixed it very precisely and easily, and have had no problems with it up until now. All pins fit perfectly into their holes.

Last edited:
Woah, wait...before you start sending parts back and forth -

If you can not turn the PC off with the front panel button, then the CPU is not the (/only) problem. You would at the very least be able to hold down the front panel button for 5-10 seconds and the machine would shut down.

If you do not have one of those tiny diagnostic button speakers, then try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Tip-ring-sleeve_terminology
Get a cheap pair of headphones, if you run by a convenience/dollar store you can pick up a pair for $5 or less...

On the end connector, tape two wires down (wire from a spare case fan or such works well) firm to the ring and tip of the 3.5mm connector, then secure them to pins 1 and 4 on the motherboard front header where labeled for the speaker.

viola...macgyver diagnostic speaker.

MSI makes an incredibly "sensitive" motherboard. If you do anything (disconnect a cable, BIOS reset, plug/unplug a pci-e/sata slot/cable) while the power is on, !!KAPUT!!. I can bet you anything your board is dead. I've been through two boards of my current model (the first one had capacitors that were knocked off during delivery, and the second I replaced due to the BIOS reset while powered on issue). If you have different types of RAM plugged in, or anything is tweaked a little too far in the BIOS, these boards will give you the finger.

Power the thing off, disconnect the power, remove the battery, hold the BIOS reset button for 8'ish seconds. Replace the battery, try to turn it on.

I bet you anything the board is at fault here -- whether through it's settings or just a broken board. My GD80 that I've had kicking for a year is fricken' amazing. Once I was fully operational, I've never been able to run such a stable system with so much sh* plugged in (4xSSD, 2xHDD, 2xPCI-E (@16x), internal bluray player plugged into an external e-SATA port -- I'm running the AMD RAID controller, onboard SATA controller and the onboard e-SATA controller concurrently, with all USB+USB 3.0 ports occupied).

The GD80 has a diagnostic LED display on the board among the plethora of other features -- I'd definitely spend the extra dime for it over the 65 any day.

Back