• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I killed my Phenom II 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Woah, wait...before you start sending parts back and forth -

If you can not turn the PC off with the front panel button, then the CPU is not the (/only) problem. You would at the very least be able to hold down the front panel button for 5-10 seconds and the machine would shut down.

If you do not have one of those tiny diagnostic button speakers, then try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Tip-ring-sleeve_terminology
Get a cheap pair of headphones, if you run by a convenience/dollar store you can pick up a pair for $5 or less...

On the end connector, tape two wires down (wire from a spare case fan or such works well) firm to the ring and tip of the 3.5mm connector, then secure them to pins 1 and 4 on the motherboard front header where labeled for the speaker.

viola...macgyver diagnostic speaker.

Thanks. I did this and it worked. I could hear the distinct "pop" of the audio coming on when I turn on the PSU. Unfortunately, no beep codes. Just the sound of audio coming in through the earbuds and then the pop of them turning off when I shut down the PSU. Pretty confused here.

You are going to have to begin a swap of parts. A lot of problems come to that. Your situation has.

Normally a board can come on and have a bad cpu and then nothing happens. Bios post will only just barely begin with a bad cpu. And I mean just barely begin any form of bootup.

I had the same issue with my windsor rig about 2.5-3 years ago .It turned out it was the PSU that gave up on me.(enough volts but very few AMPs). That`s all i can contribute to this thread.
:chair:

Turns out it WAS in fact the OCZ psu. Upgraded to a 650w seasonic psu. Even though all of the voltages read out perfectly, something about it was broken. Thanks for all of your support guys. Now I have an awesome build and guess I'm going to have to sell all these spare parts :V.

It's interesting the way this turned out. I've always been skeptical of assuming that if the line voltages checked out that the PSU was necessarily okay. Just because it checks out on a multimeter doesn't mean it can supply all the needed power to run a system stable. Electric power is not just about volts. Thanks for this update. Very instructive. Sorry it was at your expense.

It's interesting the way this turned out. I've always been skeptical of assuming that if the line voltages checked out that the PSU was necessarily okay. Just because it checks out on a multimeter doesn't mean it can supply all the needed power to run a system stable. Electric power is not just about volts. Thanks for this update. Very instructive. Sorry it was at your expense.

Absolutely a fact. Having volts available does not in anyway guarantee the issue is not still a power supply problem. I would surely check the voltages of the rails, but if the symptoms are all pointing to the power supply and the rails check good for voltage, it is time for a substitution to further diagnose the issue.

In the case of the user above he had good volts but no current supply so the swap of the power supply was the only way to get to the bottom of the problem.

Of course, it was also the last part that I replaced, save for the graphics card and case :v

This has been a learning experience for us all.

Of course, it was also the last part that I replaced, save for the graphics card and case :v

This has been a learning experience for us all.

Troubleshooting by forum is tough man for sure.

I had a failure about a year ago that was very expensive. Power supply went bad but did not give such a symptom. I just saw that it would not boot and show the hard drives. Two of them in raid 0. So I attached another "brand-new" hard drive and bam it was dead in seconds. 12V rail was now at 21.4 volts. $300-400 worth of drives gone. And that with all these high priced hdds. Had I not had "finally" had a 'feelng' to check the power supply, I would have lost another drive.

That sort of problem has NO answer in a forum. It takes having been there and done that and still I did not catch it until it took out the second set of hdds installed. The wonky supply did not get my Burner or my SSD just motored hard drives. P'd me off big time and it was a very highly rated power supply. Two months out of warranty.

Yes it can read right while not under load, its under load that a PS will fail. Bad motherboard capacitors will also give same effect.

Last edited:
Back