• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think i'll need a mental home soon I CANT PICK A GPU :( PLZ HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebastian869

Registered
The moment i look at a model like a 290x i start reading then find out the bottom tier are worthless as they are hot as hell and make more noise than a lawn mower. Then to find one that has that issue addressed i might as well get a 780ti so i started at 770 want to spend about 400 at most i my main game play is shooters and im building a system and its only with these gpus where the problem persists and really a scam as they get the advertised speed by factory OC the HELL out of the card not to mention if you want to do that as well. The reviews keep saying had to return the card cuz it crashed once or twice or if there lucky the 3 one worked. Can someone knowledgeable please help i really don't want to be paying "ROG money".
"ROG MATRIX-R9290X-P-4GD5 Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card"

Then i came across this review which was finally done by a pro: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...r9_290x_4gb_overclocked_at_4k/11#.U9xTEfn-QuH

P.S. if police come and see my brains all over the wall it was not suicide it was the proverbial mind blown. Gotta be a well cooled car thats fast (oh and when prices drop id like to buy another)
Lets just say $400-450 ish and best bang/cooling/$ for the buck. I've been doing HW for last 3 months and all i got is 770, 780 or ti / 290 290x
Thank you.

R9 290, R9 290X, GTX 780, GTX 780 Ti .... any of those options will be more than enough to play current games extremely well. My experience tells me the ASUS DirectCU II, HIS IceQX, and EVGA ACX cooler seem to perform the best and I've seen where the MSI Twin Frozr works well too.. If you're not planning to overclock the card, then any card with those coolers will will run well below temp thresholds.

Just pick one out that's in your budget and run with it.

It seems you have a very good budget, a number of high performance cards to choose from and have some anxiety about choosing. You don't want any hassles when spending that kind of money, but second guessing is making you nuts. Relax. You're enjoying the same emotions that every buyer feels when dropping down some cash on a hobby. You don't want to be this guy:

poorly.png

If I had it to do over again , I would have gone with NVidia. The R7s and R9s seem to have had more than their share of glitches. I'm on my fourth graphics card ever , and my fourth AMD. I like the company and always liked their products. Until my current card. YMMV.

yeah but ive read a lot of complaints about the r9 290 and x in particular getting hot thus u have to buy a card that comes with a great cooler and that can bust the bank from 400 for ex to 600 for same card best ex is the asus rog r9

I seem to read fewer complaints about the 780ti than the r9's, but most r9's I have read about are miners.

unfortunately ive read that a few times it always ends with RMA it over and over till u get a good one, thats why im willing to pay a little more if i know they got good tech support like evga and asus.

Ive seen so many complaints about the 290/290x cards and their drivers, crashes, Xfire profiles, etc not working so I couldnt deal with that and stayed green.

You can pick up a used 290x on ebay for 250 if it was a mining card and other cards hit the low 300s, but nobody could pay me to deal with hardware issues. I spent the extra $220 for a 780 TI SC ACX and have had no problems that werent my own fault. The card has had no problems and no games have thrown up in the past 2 months ive had the card. I cant say the same for AMD, even if it is a better bang for the buck because if you cant use the card hassle free, was saving that money really worth it?

Edit: as for EVGA's support my friend just RMA'd an EVGA 780 TI SC reference cooler that he blew just tinkering around, he put the power target too high up on a modded bios and furmark killed it by pulling 450W through the stock VRMs (stock is around 250W).

I have had a couple of 290s and a 290x as well as a 295x2.. No real issues for the games I play...they also mined for quite a while too...

Last edited:
unfortunately ive read that a few times it always ends with RMA it over and over till u get a good one, thats why im willing to pay a little more if i know they got good tech support like evga and asus.

Asus has a terrible support department (in the United States at least). Lots of reports of bad support, refusal to call back customers (when their voice mail system claims they will call back, or when their actual live technicians claim they will call you back). That, and attempts by their technicians and support department to deny warranty claims on items that are within warranty and without any customer-induced damage. Their products are generally good, but the support is terrible. So, I guess buy with caution?

I've found EVGA to be good though in my experience. Had to RMA with them twice, once for a motherboard, and once for a video card. Both RMA's were approved and handled professionally. I received replacements for both items within about a week to a week and-a-half (RMA'd at two different times, but both had similar wait-times for replacement), and the replacements worked flawlessly.

to be honest ive had both and had no problem with either and did have to call tech support a lot over the yrs

I played the waiting game with intels devils canyon.
it about killed me waiting, glad i did.

In contrast to caddi daddi, I waited for bulldozer to release. I wasn't so happy :D

I must lay two options before you.

1. Wait. Nvidia's next chips will be expensive, and most of them will be re-branded chips from this generation. Which, by the way, are mostly re-brands of last generation.
You will get slightly better performance for your dollar, and the highest end chips will be somewhat better than the 780ti. And still super expensive.

2. Buy now. AMD and NVIDIA don't have anything ground-breakingly good coming out in the high end. The 290X has all the heating issues resolved (so long as you get one with a good cooler attached), and the 780ti pricetag is slightly less astronomical.

But you have to choose. Can you wait longer? How slow is your current card? You will get better performance for your money by waiting.

I always wait for the next gen chip, but that's because I'm weird :p
It's up to you.

Asus has a terrible support department (in the United States at least). Lots of reports of bad support, refusal to call back customers (when their voice mail system claims they will call back, or when their actual live technicians claim they will call you back). That, and attempts by their technicians and support department to deny warranty claims on items that are within warranty and without any customer-induced damage. Their products are generally good, but the support is terrible. So, I guess buy with caution?

I've found EVGA to be good though in my experience. Had to RMA with them twice, once for a motherboard, and once for a video card. Both RMA's were approved and handled professionally. I received replacements for both items within about a week to a week and-a-half (RMA'd at two different times, but both had similar wait-times for replacement), and the replacements worked flawlessly.
I had a horrible RMA experience with an ASUS motherboard. I had to sent my motherboard in 4 times to the location in the midwest. Horrible. I then contacted their international RMA department which I found out was here in California. I sent my board and it was fixed. WTF? I then found out another guy had to RMA his board 8 freaken times. I gave him the contact info of the person who helped me and his mobo got fixed. I ended giving that contact number to 3 more people. Yup.

I dont have any experience with GPU RMA's.

OP you could always get some higher end 280x used for like 150-180 each. Buy 2:thup:

Back