• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I'll take the plunge... now help me choose an LCD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OSUmaxx

My current monitor is a Dell 19" Trinitron that's about 3-4 years old. Its ok, but I'm starting to have some problems with it. I also don't like that it weighs 60+ lbs and takes up all of my desk. So I think I'll go for an LCD this time around.

I'd like an 18"-19" LCD. I do play games, so response time is a factor, and I'd like a top quality display. I hope to spend up to $800 on it.

With that said, I have my eye on a Samsung 191-T. 25ms published response time. I've read numerous reviews on this model, and some say its great for gaming, and some say that they have ghosting problems. I'll be running it off of a 9700 pro for my main rig, and various video cards for my other rigs. I hope to find a monitor that allows me to keep the other computers hooked up to a KVM switch and use the analog in, but be able to switch to the DVI when I want.

I know that Hitachi and a couple of other companies have 16ms 17" monitors. Do you think I should wait for the 18+" monitors to drop in response time, or will that take months or cost $1k+?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like to make an informed decision when I spend this much on a single product. I'm thinking about buying from Best Buy or somewhere similar that will allow me to return the product for 30 days if I'm unsatisfied.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
~OSUmaxx

mateo

The Hitachi has nice specs for gaming, in fact I plan on getting that for my gaming rig if nothing better comes out by this fall. Also, I have heard some nice experiences with it, I think Hookem has one or two of them.

About the Samsung, I think its more of a professional monitor, or one for running insane AA and AF :), as 25 ms translates into 40 FPS (1000 ms/ 25 ms). It has better contrast, which would lend itself easier to professional applications, too.

stereosteve99

For the price that samsung is supposed to be one of the best. The Hitachti is also great, but only in 17", I personally think this is too small.

That's what I can offer for now.

OP
OSUmaxx

OSUmaxx

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming ;)

If anyone owns a nice LCD and would like to comment on it about gaming performance and quality, I'd appreciate it. I know LCDs aren't great for gaming, but I'd still be willing to give one a try.

mateo

Ill have a Viewsonic VX 2000 within a week that I can tell you about :p, Im not sure if that would translate to smaller Viewsonic models, but its something.

Mangina

Registered
First off, the 17" LCD's do compare nicely to the 19" CRT's. Remember all that 19", 18" viewable stuff when you bought your CRT? The LCD's, much like Homey, don't play that! :D

And if you are a serious gamer there are only three brands out that you need to look at.

First, what I have. A NEC 1760V or NX series, both are good but the NX has DVI. Look for reviews at newegg or elsewhere, don't take my word.

The Planar PX171M and the Hitachi CML175B also have fast response times and are definitely worth looking at.

Unfortunately, at this point, in time there are no faster LCD monitors either bigger or smaller sizes available.

Last edited:
OP
OSUmaxx

OSUmaxx

Mangina said:
First off, the 17" LCD's do compare nicely to the 19" CRT's. Remember all that 19", 18" viewable stuff when you bought your CRT? The LCD's, much like Homey, don't play that! :D

And if you are a serious gamer there are only three brands out that you need to look at.

First, what I have. A NEC 1760V or NX series, both are good but the NX has DVI. Look for reviews at newegg or elsewhere, don't take my word.

The Planar PX171M and the Hitachi CML175B also have fast response times and are definitely worth looking at.

Unfortunately, at this point, in time there are no faster LCD monitors either bigger or smaller sizes available.

Thanks for the reply :) I heard/read that a 17" LCD is approx. the same viewable size as an 18" CRT. That's pretty good, so I guess I'll look into that.

So you're perfectly content playing games on your LCD vs. a CRT? That's good news. I'll look into the monitors you suggested.

OP
OSUmaxx

OSUmaxx

ctty said:

I considered this at first, but it will put me considerably over my budget. I'd rather buy a cheaper 17" right now and upgrade and sell the 17" when faster, larger LCDs hit the market.

Shook

I have a 17" NEC 1760V it's very nice with 16ms response time size is like a 18". Quite nice for gaming for a LCD.

OP
OSUmaxx

OSUmaxx

Thanks GT2000, I really like the way that one looks. I'll look into it.

So does anyone have an 18"+ that they actually successfully game on, or should I just stop looking and get a 17"?

mateo

Just got in my VX 2000, its spec'd @ 25 ms response time

Gaming at ~45 FPS in UT2k3 (1600x1200, max detail :D), it ghosts noticeably. Im not so disappointed because I meant this whole rig for rendering work, but if gaming was a use, I wouldn't get it.

I assume this is the same case for Samsungs as well, like the 191T.

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I have a Sony LCD screen and to be honest am very happy with it, I find that the quality of LCD's vary greatly and that the name or specification can often make little difference.
When researching LCD's before buying I discovered that somet low specification LCD's were fantastic for the price and other high specification quality makes were not worth the money being asked for them..

My advice would be to go round stores and ask to be demonstrated the models you are interested in.. if you are not worth being shown a LCD then that company is not worthy of your custom imho... Some of these screens vary greatly in quality from make to make for the same respective specifications

mateo

I should note that this monitor is absolutely fantastic with everything but the response time, which is only noticeable when I game or move the mouse very very quickly. Its perfect for any sort of imaging :D

Cisco Kid

OSUmaxx said:
Thanks GT2000, I really like the way that one looks. I'll look into it.

So does anyone have an 18"+ that they actually successfully game on, or should I just stop looking and get a 17"?

The 17"s are where it is at the 18" 1860 NX NEc for example does not have as good specs as the NEc 1760NX its little bro. Check the other threads about LCD's, you will see that a few of us have the BenQ FP767 persoanlly I highly recommend it and at the equal of $355 US where will you find 500:1 contrast and 16ms response time, plus it games and plays dvds well and I have not seen any ghosting in UT2003 , it is analog no DVI but I had opportunity to compare to AL732 Acer and I think you are better off to save the $100 plus extra DVI cost but thats a choice you have to make

cisco kid

OP
OSUmaxx

OSUmaxx

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have some serious considering to do, but I will go with one of the 16ms screens I'm pretty sure. I'm going to try to find some of these screens in store to test them out.

ThaOre0

Registered
Tom's Hardware had an excellent review on 17" monitors, including the LCD 1760V. That and the reviews at Newegg convinced me to buy one. Great monitor...no ghosting I can see, DVD's play nicely. The only gripe I have with the monitor is not being able to see things on the screen at all angles.

Aktunka

When you say not being able to see things at all angles, do you mean kinda like the difference between an active and passive display on a laptop?