• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I'm gonna go nuts -- Windows XP crashes all the time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Diadalos, I never did switch the ide cable. I haven't had this happen to me since I posted in this thread. I agree with checking your vga drivers. Have you tried different ones? Also, is there a program that you constantly use even after you format and reinstall. I've noticed using buggy programs is when this type of thing would normally occur. A favorite browser or something perhaps? An overclock tool? Try to experiment with not using your regular daily programs and maybe you can weed one out.

I have gone through this thread again..The error I see you are having can easily be from a high FSB....Never mind that the system may perform well and endure stress tests or even hardware tests..If your FSB is above stock any program can act buggy and cause system instability..Something people often leave out of overclocking is that a prime 95 or a memory test is not the end all to a systems stability...

I had an older 1.4 amd @1.6 that passed any stress test I threw at it for as long as 36 hours one time..but every time I tried to type in out look the system would crash...Lowered the FSB and bingo all was fine..

diehrd said:
I have gone through this thread again..The error I see you are having can easily be from a high FSB....Never mind that the system may perform well and endure stress tests or even hardware tests..If your FSB is above stock any program can act buggy and cause system instability..Something people often leave out of overclocking is that a prime 95 or a memory test is not the end all to a systems stability...

I had an older 1.4 amd @1.6 that passed any stress test I threw at it for as long as 36 hours one time..but every time I tried to type in out look the system would crash...Lowered the FSB and bingo all was fine..

I haven't overclocked ANYTHING on this machine yet. Everything is stock. I only added two extra case fans in November.
All test come up clean and nice, absolutely no errors. I can play games for hours, run any programs, without any errors, everything else runs perfect. :(

I have turned off/uninstalled all other programs execpt the OS.
But NOTHING seems to stop this error.

As a last resort, I tried to change the Folder Options and set the Cache thumbnails off and open each folder in its own window. After that it hasn't happened for some time. This is so strange. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'll report back here to say if it helped or not.

Unbelievable, it works! :)

Whenever I switch back to "Open each folder in the same window', from the folder options window, it starts happening again...

doesn't matter, I'm gonna do a complete format next weekend anyway...

Thanks to everyone, who tried to help! :)

Last edited:
I've been having the same problem, I will try that when I get home tonight. I'm due for a reformat anyway. Thanks for your persistance with this problem!!

- Awperator

Back