• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I undervolted my Nitro+ RX480 by 5mv...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mot666

Registered
...using Wattman, at State 7 only and it made it 5-6 degrees cooler max temp in Valley Benchmark. I did the test a couple times, each time it went from 78 degrees max to 72/73. Im new to this kind of thing so I'm not sure what to think. Good/Bad result?

bob4933

Any improvement is a good result.

That said, 5mV isnt much at all tbh. If you saw temps drop that far from that minor adjustment, I would consider that a pretty huge win.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mot666

Registered
It ended up becoming unstable at -20mv on State 7 when I dropped State 6 down 5mv ...then for some reason it was unstable all the back up to stock 1150mv with State 6 at stock. It was fine this morning when I was testing at 1145mv. Oh well I'll just have to settle for the frame rate limiter. :sly:

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Framerate limiter? In wattman? I didn't know that. I don't use wattman as it's just confusing. I use MSI Afterburner. No issues with framerates unless it's locked in the games I play.

OP
M

Mot666

Registered
Its actually in the global graphics settings(the tab next to the wattman one). I also turned on 'power efficiency'. That made a HUGE difference. Wish I done that this morning instead of spending all that time trying to get a stable undervolt.

idkfa

Can you explain what differences you experienced with "power efficiency" on? I imagine your card won't stay in the highest state then all the time? I picked up a 480 myself and hadn't really time to really get into it. I undervolted it by 25mV on the highest state but did not see such a noticeable drop in temperature. I will check it out this weekend.

So far I'm running with 1400 Mhz core clock, 2100 Mhz memory clock on a -25mV (1.125 V) undervolt on the highest state. With power limit set to +50% and a temperature goal of 75 °C I never leave the highest state under load anyway. Which is kind of confusing though, as some youtube videos suggested raising the temperature goal and power limit to achieve a better stability on the highest state (reduce thermal throttling). But my card reaches 75 °C (adjusted fan curve as I'm gaming with headphones anyway and it's still a lot quieter than my old 580) still I don't see thermal throttling.

OP
M

Mot666

Registered
When using MSI Afterburner (so Riva Tuner) to display GPU Wattage and temp etc, the watt usage is less at the cost of frames per second when I was using Valley benchmark. Which is fine for me cause normally I only want 60 fps. I'd give you more information but I didn't really do much testing with Power Efficiency.