• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want 20K!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColtIce

Disabled
first off I have to say thanks to Gautam for his help for turning me on to the modified 3.1 cat's and the test order.now for the details.last night I decided to do some testing with the 3.1's on my XP setup and I must say for benching 2k1 they rock.on an older XPsp2 install,dx9.0c,cat3.1 I managed to get 19658(150pts higher than my previous best on 2k,dx8.1).
this is where my questions come into play.I know that it is believed that 2k is worth ~1000 points over XP and dx8.1 is worth ~300points.to me 1300 pts is alot to ask for from just those two things.so do you think ~700pts is a more realistic goal?I don't believe hd speed plays that big of a factor in scores but I'm still curious if anyone thinks an older ata33 drive(not my main) would hinder my push for 20k?

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Nice stuff there. 19.7k on XP is very nice for sure. In my experience, 2K isn't worth nearly that much. 300-500 switching from XP to 2K is more reasonable. With the super-high end systems with the new video cards that pull over 25k, sometimes you get increases close to a full grand, but not on what most of us have. DX9.0 to DX8.1 I can't really comment on. Every bench I've done in DX9 seemed very strong, but I've never done a head to head compare. I'd say maybe a 100 points or so at most from switching from DX9 to DX8.1. But then again, sometimes you think that 100 points isn't really a big deal, but in my push for 24k, I needed every last point I could get (see sig). With that said, 2k+8.1 should easily put you past 20k, but nothing too much higher.

As for the hard drive, I can't possibly see that making a difference. I've done plenty of benching on a ten year old 1gb hd.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
I dunno, I may do a bench tomorrow or something. That run was done in my normal install with my everyday clocks. Cat 4.5. Just to have the t-shirt that says I broke 7k. ;)

I always use SP2, but I know plenty prefer SP4, so I can't see it hurting.

OP
ColtIce

ColtIce

Disabled
sorry about that I'm not used to links in the sig.man, that 239 FSB must just rock!I don't think I can catch you with this rig.I'm curious about this, how much of a difference does it make for you to run the memory at 390 opposed to 365?the reason I ask is the only test you really have an advantage over me is GT1 and your cpu FSB/speed is most likely the reason for that.

Sentential

Contributing Member
upping the memory rates helps alot. However im at the point where I am CPU limited. I started getting more points by closing every program out.