• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want an extra case cooling fan in front

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gladiator

I have no idea where to start. I don't want to spend much and I have a regular ATX case (3 bays) and 2 3 1/2" ones.

Can someone tell me what to get, I don't think I have any extra power supplies because I have 2 HDs and 2 CD drives. Just want to put it in front to increase the intake.
There is a place to put it, so in my case how big of a fan do I need. :mad: hehe I don't want a flamin comp.

Thanks!:burn:

Shuruga2

when you say there is a place to put it i'm guessing you mean one of those plactic things that clip onto the front on the inside of the case. the thing that the pc speaker is normally attatched to and where you can put a case fan if you wish.

in that case what you want is probably a 80mm fan, thats the standard size, but you may want to measure to be sure. you can spend anything you want on these fans, it all depends on how much added cooling you want AND on how much noise you can handle. any computer store (computers store, not business depot, etc) should have a decent fan for $5-10. these fans dont move a lot of air but you also probably wont be able to hear it.
when you get the fan make sure that the plug on it has a pass-thru molex connector. this way you will un-plug a harddrive, plug that into the fan, and then the other fan connector into the hard drive. that may be a bad explaination, but it'll work.

if i was wrong and you dont have one of those plactic things in the front of your case and your just talking about a grill area thats cut into the front:
if theres no plastic thing and no screw holes you'll have to drill some and use a self tapping screw you should be able to get at the comp store (at least at the one i go to)

if you let us know more about your computer and what you want to do with it we could reccomend other things for you as well.

jlin453

casefront.jpg

Nice aluminum fan, 37cfm at 27dba

temps at 34/29 ...XP2000+ @ XP2200

6502kid

Another option would be to get a Baycooler or one of the
other HDD coolers. They come with 2 or 3 small fans for
intake, and also cool off one of your HDD's. Mount in one
of the 5 1/4 bays.

In both my rigs I have one of those and an 80mm in the front.

OP
G

gladiator

Shuruga2 said:
when you say there is a place to put it i'm guessing you mean one of those plactic things that clip onto the front on the inside of the case. the thing that the pc speaker is normally attatched to and where you can put a case fan if you wish.

That is exactly it, there are holes and I can't choose what jlin453 did because I only have 1 free bay left.

So they sell fans that can directly screw into this area (where PC speakers are mounted to) :cool: :D
thanks