• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to paint the inside of my case... excatly how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tinymouse2

So, I have a HAF 922 and I'm hoping to paint the inside black with metallic red drive bays. I'm aiming for this kinda look
96007-official-coolermaster-haf-932-owners-thread-img_4111.jpg

How easy would this be? I've never done anything more than install a few fans.

I'm fairly clumsy when it comes to painting.

So, how would I do this? Do I spray the paint? Do I use a brush? Do I do anything to prep it?

zbo

Sand the case, then spary a primer on to it. Sand again and spary your colour onto it, Sand again and spray a clear coat to protect it.

When sparying build it up with lots of tiny tiny tiny coats otherwise it will look bad.

visbits

Disassemble it and take it to a body shop. Car paints the only thing that's durable outside of powder coating.

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

Do I just take the case over, choose the colours and they do it there and then?
Also any idea how much they'll charge?

DarkWhite

Make sure you take out all your components out, including fans etc.
Anything that moves or comes out (mobo tray) I'd take out and have them painted seperately. Also, ground the case when you get it home, as the is a significant amount of electricity used in automotive painting.
Not sure about cost, it's hard to say.

OP
tinymouse2

tinymouse2

The HAF 932 doesn't have a mobo tray. Everything's kinda together... So just take out everything that's not included in the case. What about the power switches and the cables that come out of there? Do I need to do anything with those?

YoMatta

i'm at work right now so can't provide any actual links for you, but head over to youtube and search for "Haf 932 painting". Pretty sure I've seen some people post step by steps to painitng this case in particular.

And if not the HAF932 I know you'll have success in finding videos where people are showing how to paint cases in general.

Also, check out the stickies on the Alternative Mod section, I think there is a guide in there (if not stickied then a thread) regarding case painting and how to make your case turn out very nice and professional looking.

hope that helped, sorry I couldn't provide actual links right now =(

:beer:

Rich'[ard]

regarding car paint, that's how i painted my case.
i bought 2 cans of Matte Black car spray paint (didn't like gloss or metallic) then went home and sprayed 2 layers on, with about 10 minutes gap between the 2 layers.

of course i took out all the HDD bays, and took my caes apart as much as possible.
after spraying i just waited for 4-5 hours and put everything back in.
me not putting any protective coat on does give me a little problem - sometimes if you apply little force, you can scrape some of the paint off. but ey, it's not like you scrape paint off your case or anything :thup:

here's a pic taken from my phone (bad quality) lol
Photo0850.jpg

Rich'[ard]

NICE! That's kinda what I want to do but painting the drive bays a deep metallic red to contrast from the black.
yeh that sounds like a cool combo :thup:
i went for the all black look. still need to buy some good cable sleeving to black out all the wires. i wanna hide everything :p
and i just did some cable management holes a few days ago.
i should update pics...but meh lol.

EDIT: oh yeah i just read your first post again.
[email protected] using paint brush. that's what i thought when i first tried to do it :beer:
i was like 'how do ppl use paint brushes to make such smooth surfaces?!'
but then i realised it was with spray paint.