• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I went from BIOS to UEFI and found no difference, I can use either, which?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

I just upgraded my whole rig over to a skylake system, I updated all my drives from MFT to GPT and just cloned my OS drive to a new drive and converted my windows install to UEFI.... I expected it to be much faster than regular bios... I was wrong. It's not any faster at all, and apparently UEFI does not allow you to load any windows older than vista or any linux distributions or mac or anything...

I could go back to BIOS very easily by just re flashing the drive and not converting to UEFI.... Should I?

What are the real advantages of UEFI anyways? Since it's not any faster? Will I REALLY need those advantages in teh future?

I wanted to post this in microsoft operating systems but that's inappropriate since this is a multi-os issue, and doesn't belong in alternative operating systems either... and there's no general software forum.... This seems like the most appropriate place to post it.

googled and found this:

UEFI BIOS Advantages

When the option is available to choose between a Legacy BIOS boot mode or UEFI boot mode operating system installation, the advantages to choosing a UEFI boot mode installation include the following:

Avoids Legacy Option ROM address constraints. For more information, see Legacy BIOS Option ROM Allocation Considerations.

Supports operating system boot partitions greater than 2 terabytes (2 TB) in size. For more information about limitations for supported operating systems, refer to Sun Blade X3-2B (formerly Sun Blade X6270 M3) Product Notes.

PCIe device configuration utilities are integrated with Setup Utility menus. For more information, see BIOS Setup Utility Screen Reference .

Bootable operating system images will appear in the boot list as labeled entities, for example Windows boot manager label versus raw device labels.

Benefits of UEFI boot mode over Legacy BIOS boot mode include:

Support for hard drive partitions larger than 2 Tbytes

Support for more than four partitions on a drive

Fast booting

Efficient power and system management

Robust reliability and fault management

I just upgraded my whole rig over to a skylake system, I updated all my drives from MFT to GPT and just cloned my OS drive to a new drive and converted my windows install to UEFI.... I expected it to be much faster than regular bios... I was wrong. It's not any faster at all, and apparently UEFI does not allow you to load any windows older than vista or any linux distributions or mac or anything...

I could go back to BIOS very easily by just re flashing the drive and not converting to UEFI.... Should I?

What are the real advantages of UEFI anyways? Since it's not any faster? Will I REALLY need those advantages in teh future?

I wanted to post this in microsoft operating systems but that's inappropriate since this is a multi-os issue, and doesn't belong in alternative operating systems either... and there's no general software forum.... This seems like the most appropriate place to post it.

i dont think you quite understand what uefi is....... you would have to change motherboards in order to change the eufi... i IS the bios.

i dont think you quite understand what uefi is....... you would have to change motherboards in order to change the eufi... i IS the bios.

Not quite. You can load windows in eufi mode since windows 8.0. I've tried it, didn't do squat for load times and just caused issues foe me.

Not quite. You can load windows in eufi mode since windows 8.0. I've tried it, didn't do squat for load times and just caused issues foe me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

You can load windows in UEFI mode if the bios is UEFI, otherwise, you have to use legacy mode as there isn't a UEFI for W8 on up to load. I believe he just needs to change it to legacy for it to 'boot' from the UEFI BIOS instead of incorporating it into windows??????????? (not sure on this at all)

(I just jumped in the middle of something, not sure if that helped or what, LOL)

You can do a UEFI install of 7, 8, 8.1, or 10.

Before I respond to responses I want to say that I found something out...

I am currently running on legacy support mode, which isn't really full-on UEFI... I have something called "CSM" (compatibility support module) on. If you turn it off, you will (supposedly, i dont know, i havent tried it) boot faster than you would with it on, this would be true UEFI support. Your hardware MUST be UEFI compatible, unfortunately I Found my two 7850 cards are not UEFI compatible but I am going to be editing the bios and flashing it to add UEFI compatibility and try it later....

SO IF YOU WANT TO BOOT FASTER, DISABLE CSM MODE. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR HARDWARE SUPPORTS UEFI (you can turn it back on if it doesn't).

Which OS?
Is Fast Boot enabled?

Windows 10
Yes it is.

I did change the motherboard, but you also have to enable UEFI booting in windows and create the UEFI partition, if i took the UEFI partition out and took UEFI out of the boot sequence it would revert to BIOS, which is part of compatibility mode for my motherobard.

I want to post back that i found the #1 reason to use UEFI over BIOS.

My two SATA expansion cards used to have to POST and Initialize in bios, this took 5-10 seconds EACH and added a good 10-15 seconds to my boot up time...

With UEFI bios, these cards don't have to POST or Initialize anymore... my boot time dropped by 15 seconds just by having UEFI.... I see all my sata cards fine within windows, the cards just don't initialize when using UEFI but they still work.

This is why I'm keeping UEFI, and why you should probably do the same.

I want to post back that i found the #1 reason to use UEFI over BIOS.

My two SATA expansion cards used to have to POST and Initialize in bios, this took 5-10 seconds EACH and added a good 10-15 seconds to my boot up time...

With UEFI bios, these cards don't have to POST or Initialize anymore... my boot time dropped by 15 seconds just by having UEFI.... I see all my sata cards fine within windows, the cards just don't initialize when using UEFI but they still work.

This is why I'm keeping UEFI, and why you should probably do the same.

weird. mine goes to eufi even if i dont have a hard drive attached. am i missing something here?

weird. mine goes to eufi even if i dont have a hard drive attached. am i missing something here?

UEFI is a loose term, I suppose. What they're talking about is with UEFI, older hardware may not work (such as him stating that his GPUs don't support UEFI). The way you work around that is to enable legacy support in the form of a "BIOS mode" of sorts. That makes the other hardware and OS think it's on legacy hardware, so that it works.

Back