• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I will NEVER buy an OCZ product again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flynismo

I apologize ahead of time for venting, but I need to share my experience with whoever may read this one day and wanting to buy an OCZ product.

In May 2013 (give or take a month), I purchased an OCZ Vector 128 GB SSD

After 6 weeks, it died. I RMA'd it, and two weeks later my replacement arrived.

This time, the SSD managed to survive a whole 3 months before it died. Please understand, I am a C and PHP programmer by profession, with much of my work done at home. I CANNOT afford to lose hours of work because of garbage products! I do backup regularly, however, when working, I cannot stop every 15 minutes to back up my files. So naturally, I was a bit upset that two drives failed on me in a span of 4 and a half months. I called OCZ, told them I was displeased, and got the specch about how rare it is their products fail and they are sorry, blah blah.
Ten days after shipping the second RMA, I got the replacement drive. They assured me that this drive came with the latest firmware installed (v 2.0 at the time), and I would not have any more drives fail on me.

Sure enough, this third drive lasted a whopping six months, until it died on me.

This time I was furious....I demanded a refund. They said no, they do not do refunds. I asked if they would at least send me a package to ship it back; my previous two returns cost me nearly $20 each for packing and insurance. No, they can't do that either.
So I hung up, called back, and after one hour of being on hold, the line just went dead, as if someone picked up and hung up the phone.
Called a third time, finally got through to a sales manager after 45 minutes. The guy was just a nasty, arrogant prick, telling me that they have a great reputation for reliability and in not so many words implied that I am somehow screwing up the drives.
Eventually, I got him to agree to refund my money and send me a prepaid package....I think he could tell I was utterly frustrated at not just the situation, but the way I feel I was being treated.

Here I am, nearly two months later, and my package for the RMA has not arrived. I have called many times over the past several weeks, and now I just get answering machines and no return phone calls.

I have recieved ONE email, it was in response to my message I left on their answering machine. And it was a two sentence respone:
"We apologize for your troubles with our product. Please visit our website and follow the RMA instructions.

http://ocz.com/consumer/support/tech-support

"

So apparently, I must assume they HAVE NO INTENTION of refunding me or sending me a package as promised....it's not like I get to talk to anyone when I call to verify.

If you are wondering why I just do not mail it in instead of waiting on the pre-paid package, it is a matter of principle. I am a pissed off customer, I was promised that they would make things right, and frankly, I do not feel that I should have to waste my money returning garbage products. I am giving them one final chance to retain me as a customer, and this is how it got handled.

So yeah.....

Just thought I'd add that about a month ago I purchased a Samsung 840 Evo to replace the Vector.
One month and it hasn't died yet....imagine that.

Perfomance-wise, there is no noticeable downgrade compared to the Vector. Considering the Evo was about 50% cheaper (and comes with great software as well), I wish I would have went with my gut and bought this in the first place, rather than buying into the hype that surrounded the Vector and it's benchmarks

OCZ has had problems with all gens of ssd's. I have some in my grinder, Knocks on wood

They preform well and as advertised if they last

I am aweel an advocat for the Samsung drives now as they have been bullet proof

Best thing to do is to simply write them off as many have and make the investment into a reliable unit

Yeah, I had a 1st gen Vertex before I upgraded to my 840, and it worked fine. I liked it enough that when I built a cheap LAN PC I grabbed a Vertex 3 that was on sale. That was a mistake.

I RMA'd it twice, both times for the same problem (the OS would lock up and upon restart the drive wouldn't appear, even after changing SATA cables and ports). And this was all over a similar time frame (maybe 5 months?).

I like my power supply, but I doubt I'd buy an OCZ SSD again. They just don't seem as reliable as the AData, Intel, and Samsung SSDs I've used :shrug:

Sorry to hear about your poor experience :/ Sadly OCZ is known for their reliability problems in the SSD sector. My recommendations for reliability are either Samsung or Intel, so I'm glad you are liking your Sammy :)

OCZ has had problems with all gens of ssd's. I have some in my grinder, Knocks on wood

They preform well and as advertised if they last

I am aweel an advocat for the Samsung drives now as they have been bullet proof

Best thing to do is to simply write them off as many have and make the investment into a reliable unit

Absolutely. I will free state that the Vector --- from a performance standpoint --- is first class.

Ironically, I also still have a Vertex2 that I bought about three years ago, and that thing is a tank. It isn't as fast as the Vector, or even the Evo, you do notice a small performance loss not just in benchmarks but in real usage, but in the three or so years I've had it, I must have installed at least 50 operating systems on it (I use it as a scrap drive to try out various Linux and BSD systems and testing out programs I develop and such), and this thing is as fast it was the day I got it.

I have both an OCZ Vertex 4 and a Samsung 840 Pro in my system and both have run great for years. Not saying you're wrong, but I've had good experiences with products from both companies.

Every company's products are only as good as the customer service that comes with them.

If you've never had to RMA a product from a vendor, then you don't know them fully.

EVGA I have had to RMA stuff (my motherboard, later found out the problem was not the motherboard, not their fault, mine) and they have been fantastic - both their products AND customer service.

ASUS horror stories only seem to pop up with their mainstream line, which is a shady business practice, basically they're saying either buy their top end RoG or go buy another mainstream mobo, don't try to RMA because if you do they'll bend socket pins and blame you...

OCZ I have heard many problems with, their PSUs, both PCI-E and SATA SSDs...

They're products are very attractive (some of their RevoDrives have 1,000 MB/s read/write rates) but their customer service does not match.

I've got a 128 ssd from them, I had some problems and found updating the firmware on the drive changed things a bit - it's still running strong. I want a new one from a different manufacturer .

sorry you had a crappy experience

Meh, I haven't bought an OCZ product in years, not since they left me holding the bag for some RAM that was intentionally mislabeled.
A while back they were espousing how they were the "new" OCZ, but I really haven't heard better of them than their old thievery.

I have both an OCZ Vertex 4 and a Samsung 840 Pro in my system and both have run great for years. Not saying you're wrong, but I've had good experiences with products from both companies.

I understand; I wanted to make sure that I also mentioned my good experience with the Vertex 2, because I dont want to sound like a salty, biased person with an axe to grind.

Well, actually I AM a salty, biased person with an axe to grind, after this experience with their customer service. It's bad enough the product has proven to be low quality, but I was willing to overlook that to a point. It's the way that they have handled this that has just left me feeling that I am not dealing with a reputable company that I can trust with my money, but a band of crooks.

OCZ went bankrupt, the SSD division has been acquired by Toshiba. Rumor is Toshiba is supplying NAND, sharing expertise, but leaving personnel intact.
Yes OCZ has a higher than the leaders RMA rate, no it usually does not get this bad.
Anyway accountants may be blocking return slip and refund.

fwiw no, I do not put OCZ in the most reliable tier.

The only OCZ SSD I've owned was a 25nm Vertex2 that nuked itself one day by randomly deleting Windows system files, and I had an old OCZ PSU with adjustable voltages that murdered a board. Even if OCZ fixes their issues under Toshiba (at least they can't use terrible Spectek-branded RAM anymore) I wouldn't bother with them for anything ever again.

The only good thing I can say about the Vertex2 was that they RMA'd it immediately with no questions asked.

I switched to all-Samsung SSDs for myself and any systems I've built out for people and haven't had any problems yet.

I've bought refurb and new OCZ. Have had one failure with a Revodrive that they replaced with a newer (and larger) model.

No complaints from me about their RMA process or quality of SSD.

Back