• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would appreciate some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cybertron

Hey guys. I'm a high school student with a passing interest in overclocking. I'm currently working on a research paper about overclocking, but of course, all of my sources are on the internet (most of them on overclockers.com). Because of this, my teacher suggested that I do an interview, and the oc.com forum was the first thing that came to mind. I would really appreciate it if some of you could answer any or all of the following questions. I would also need your real name (or a name you make up that would sound real;-) Thanks in advance.

1) Briefly, what is your overclocking experience?

2) Have you ever had a component permanently damaged from overclocking?

3) What would you say are some important safety measures to be taken when overclocking?

4) Do you have any unique methods for overclocking?

5) What would you say is a good amount to spend on a computer you intend to overclock?

6) Any other information that you think is important that I may have left out.

Thanks again.

RED Hot Machine

Inactive Moderator
Firstly Welcome to the Forums,

And to answer your questions

1. I've overclocked my Geforce 2, 1.4 Tbird, Slot A 800 Athlon and a cyrix. I along with messing around with Computers since I was 5.

2. I've partly fried a stick of ram, but something major.

3. Safety for you or the Machine? If its the machine then HEAT. If its you then watch out for the capacitors on your board and PSU, they will give you a nasty zap.

4. Not Really, I just push it untill it stops then back it down a bit.

5. You always end up spending more, but around £800 I would say.

6. Not that i can think off.

Let us know how your paper goes.

Cy

Welcome to the forums. Please find my answers listed below with your questions.

Cy

cybertron said:
Hey guys. I'm a high school student with a passing interest in overclocking. I'm currently working on a research paper about overclocking, but of course, all of my sources are on the internet (most of them on overclockers.com). Because of this, my teacher suggested that I do an interview, and the oc.com forum was the first thing that came to mind. I would really appreciate it if some of you could answer any or all of the following questions. I would also need your real name (or a name you make up that would sound real;-) Thanks in advance.

1) Briefly, what is your overclocking experience?

I have been overclocking for several years. I have overclocked cpus, video cards, memory etc.

2) Have you ever had a component permanently damaged from overclocking?

I have never had a component damanged from overclocking but I have blown pieces from working with systems alot...not many but a couple. :)

3) What would you say are some important safety measures to be taken when overclocking?

First any time you work on equipment be sure you are ESD safe. Second, take your time! Don't go to fast or make to big of jumps...ease into it.

4) Do you have any unique methods for overclocking?

Not really, I have read so many articles on how/what/where/when to overclock I just use what has been documented.

5) What would you say is a good amount to spend on a computer you intend to overclock?

This is a very subjective question. I would say that if you really have oc'ing in mind then spend less than you would otherwise. This would be for two reasons. First, hopefully you will be able to oc to the desired level of perormance you could have bought for more money. Second, if you blow a piece of hardware then you lose less money this way. :)

6) Any other information that you think is important that I may have left out.

I would like to point out that even the manufacturers, Intel/AMD/etc., have always used a form of overclocking in their products. When they produce chips they test them to see at what speeds they will run stabely. Also, overclocking is a hobby and once you purchase a piece of hardware it is yours to treat as you want...yes the warranty will be voided but overclocking is not wrong or evil or anything...it is just a hobby. :)

Chris "Cyklopz" Perry

Thanks again.

CyberFed

Real Name : Federico Arismendi Age 20 Location University of Central Florida - Computer Engineering Major

1) Overclocked an Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz processor to 2.08GHz with no trouble, will try to go higher later. Been into computer hardware for quite awhile now and into overclocking for a few months now

2) Not personally no, but my roomate we are sure damaged either a harddrive or the actual cpu (P3 500MHz)

3) Cooling!! Without proper cooling overclocking is not possible, know your system, and know alot about hardware and bios. Also make sure you have your hardware warrenties handy just in case :)

4) Just did my homework online at many websitse and asking questions on forums, i personally stick to softbios overclocking because i dont want to mess with dip switches, allthough i have a motherboard that allows me to this easily
, rule of the thumb is ask first and then try!

5) Depends on what your current hardware is, chances are you wont need to change most of your hardware if its rather new, i'de say maybe a new motherboard depending on your model, the most of your money will be spent on cooling, with fans or a better heatsink (or watercooling) so prices can run anywhere from 50-500 bucks depending on what you want to do and what you have.

6) Overclocking isnt as hard as some people believe it to be, it just goes back to the saying you gotta have the right tool for the right job, so as long as your equipment is par you'll be ok, the main reasons for overclocking arent really even the performance because todays newer chips are faster than anyone of us could need, its more about bragging rights, and pushing your sytem to the max and squeezing out every drop of performance for your money, its a hobby and if its done correctly a great way to impress some lower computer geeks :) Another rule of thumb is, the good old GIGO, garbage in garbage out, you get what you put into it, so do your research ask questions and make sure you feel 100% comforatable before doing anything.

Hope you get an A on your paper post a copy online i'de love to read it and im sure others would too, good luck! and welcome to the forums! :D

OP
C

cybertron

Thanks Everyone

Thanks guys. The research paper went well (I think, I haven't gotten it back yet). Not really sure I want to post it because it's written for someone with very little computer knowledge, so I would think it would be pretty boring. I really appreciated all the help though. The info was very helpful for credible sources. Thanks again.

-Cybertron