• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i would fold on my i7 but....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

my i7 rig is on....around 16hrs a day...not doing much...excepet the odd game/homework

i would fold on it but i have allways been worried about the effect the stress+heat will have on it if i was to fold ?

the processor alone cost quite alot - so i am planning on keeping it for quite a while...but if i fold on it will it reduce its lifespan/overclock ability?- if so by how much?

i run the i7 920 is at 4.1 @ 1.3 (ish)

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I have never had a CPU wear out...it will typically become obsolete long before it wears out.

I have had E6600, Q6600, P4(Retired) folding 24/7 for years.

Your bigger concern will be the electric it will consume.

dz_jad

The rig in my sig has been folding on and off for over 2 years now, and no issues...My graphics card was folding for quite a while when the GPU client FIRST came out--and no issues there either. Make sure you get a temperature monitoring tool, (like CoreTemp), but I assume you probably already have one since you OC.

Just use your best judgement. If you're folding in a hot-and-sweaty dorm room with 90 degrees F airtemp, you prolly shouldn't be folding much.

Keep things cleaned out so you have good airflow and you should be perfectly fine!

ChasR

I still have serveral AMD XP-Barton single cores folding as they have been non-stop for 6 years. They've been obsolete for most of that time. Once you get hooked, you'll want to run 24/7 and use the High performance clients.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
before I folded I ran SETI. I've never had any overclocked CPU die on me, They have all lived even long after I sold them to someone else.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
before I folded I ran SETI. I've never had any overclocked CPU die on me, They have all lived even long after I sold them to someone else.

+1 to this, ive never had any cpu, o/ced or not die on me from folding. In fact come to think of it I dont think ive ever had a cpu die on me at all, with the exception of one old AthlonXP I fried long before AMD added the nice temp protection to their chips. (had a bad heatsink mount and fan)

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
my i7 rig is on....around 16hrs a day...not doing much...excepet the odd game/homework

i would fold on it but i have allways been worried about the effect the stress+heat will have on it if i was to fold ?

the processor alone cost quite alot - so i am planning on keeping it for quite a while...but if i fold on it will it reduce its lifespan/overclock ability?- if so by how much?

After a few years, You'll want it to die just so you can upgrade!

;)

Giz

I've never had anything die from use or abuse yet either. Now I've said that, something will go bang!

I should have been clearer in my reply before, antipesto93. I've not got an i7 but reading the threads here, 4.1 is probably to high for folding.
I meant lower the clock for stability to make sure you finish the Work Units without errors, not lower it so it will live longer ;)

madhatter256

Special Member
But, one thing that is important is heat. Make sure you have a good cooling setup. Good after market heatsink on the CPU, GPU (if you fold), VRMs will ensure for a stable system if put under such stresses.

I have seen i7 cpus get up to 90Celcius on the stock cooler, which according to Intel is perfectly fine.... but if you have a cheap i7 board it can be very stressful as the heat transfers back to the VRMs making them even more stressed out.

GIXXERGUY6

i run the i7 920 is at 4.1 @ 1.3 (ish)

if it's not 24 hour stable with prime95 with no error's then i would recommend(and still would recommend) dropping the clock down to 3.8 and rocking out with some folding.

if you have good cooling you'll be fine. There will be no adverse effects on the CPU unless you overvolt like a mofo, which you don't need to do with folding.

If you have any questions check around on the forums.

Zerix01

Well if you look at my thread over here I'm starting to see some issues from stressing my system.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632805

BUT....... Good modern boards have sold capacitors which mine does not. So that could be part of the problem. I also went cheap on the board. That being said, it still has last me three years of constant folding stress and if I just wanted to replace it with a similar compatible board it should only be about $50. My CPU and RAM are still doing fine and I can just carry them over to a new board. So if you find yourself in that position, the same components now will be much cheaper then.