• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like to get a basic OC on my I5-4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

My last experience with OCing a CPU was a phenom II 965
Last time I tried I came to the conclusion I was ding it wrong, I guess I was adjusting the wrong voltage? [ http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748846-i5-4690k-OC ]
I do not think should necromanc my 3 year old thread, so I will just reference it in the 1st post here

This CPU has so many options I am not sure what to do
I do know I do not want to use the auto OC, cause I think it overdoes the voltage
I would like to set a simple OC and set to to 3.9Ghz with 4.4 Turbo, if I can not at least get that I feel it was a waste of getting unlocked
my BIOS does have a "Optimized OC setting for 4.4Ghz", I doubt it is that "Optimized" I did attach screenshots of it's voltage configs, maybe it is useful for a reference point?
Should I use that setting and start dropping the voltage or upping the multiplier (if so which ones?)

just so I understand the terminology, my CPU is labeled at 3.5Ghz 3.9 Turbo, when I OC it am I only able to change the turbo multiplier or can I change both?

Attachments

• BIOS_screenshots_ASROCK_Z97_k1ller.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
These haswell/devil canyons clock pretty good . With a after market hsf 4.4-4.6 should be doable .

First I would clear cmos , then set XMP for your ram . Then I would try 45x for CPU multi and 40x for Cache . Vcore I would try @ 1.3 and work down from there . 1.3 will prob be to high but it should @ least let you boot .
From what I have seen the DC chips can do 4.5ghz any were from 1.15v-1.3 .
Post back if you need more help also check that guide Earthdog posted its very good .

Signature updated, it will need another update in about 3 weeks (SSD/OS upgrade)
I had a XMP set; wait i updated my bios, guess lost that setting... that was why i quit using the custom fan control curve
also need to remake the usb cable for my DIY fan controller

Sounds like you need to redo the bios flash.
Why?

anyway i gave just setting only the multiplier on a per core basis, it seems at least somewhat stable (4.4, 4.4, 4.2, 4.3)
my somewhat mprime did not crash in a few seconds (edit: unstable)

IIRC when i was looking for a way to test stability on a OC on this chip the only choice was adia64 and prime95 was not recommended at all
what other options are there now?

EDIT:
The auto 4.4 is unstable... or what ever you want to call the pre-programed OC from the board manufacture
attempting stock voltage with 4.2,4.2,4.1,4.0 clocks now

Last edited:
update
So i decided to give use the "optimized 4.5GHz" setting in my bois
i looked over the settings, dropped the vcore from 1.32 to 1.3 and turned on LLC; that seems at least somewhat stable, it boots and can run a minute of stress testing without crashing at least
should i also bump the cache multiplier?
Also how do i know how much voltage i need for CPU input, the "optimized" option is using 1.9; stock reads 1.82

I'm recommending reflashing the bios because you said you lost the ability to set the RAM to XMP.

You should stress test your overclock settings overnight with AIDA 64 Extreme to confirm stability. You ask how much voltage you need? Enough to be stable at the given overclock frequency without exceeding a vcore of about 1.375 or exceeding the Tjmax of about 100c. At that temp you will get thermal down-throttling. It's all about experimenting. No one can give you numbers that will necessarily work for your components. Even with the same model CPU there is considerable variance in what they will overclock to and what voltages it will take to make that stable.

Cache multiplier should be set at stock level or slightly higher. It generally won't overclock as high as the cores.

I'm recommending reflashing the bios because you said you lost the ability to set the RAM to XMP.

You should stress test your overclock settings overnight with AIDA 64 Extreme to confirm stability. You ask how much voltage you need? Enough to be stable at the given overclock frequency without exceeding a vcore of about 1.375 or exceeding the Tjmax of about 100c. At that temp you will get thermal down-throttling. It's all about experimenting. No one can give you numbers that will necessarily work for your components. Even with the same model CPU there is considerable variance in what they will overclock to and what voltages it will take to make that stable.

Cache multiplier should be set at stock level or slightly higher. It generally won't overclock as high as the cores.
You misunderstood, my setting was not preserved across a bios update and i forgot about it
that only leaves the question of the cpu input voltage (default is about 1.8, the 'optimized' OC puts it at 1.9)
and one other question of vcore, what increments should i use? eg: 0.005 0.001

Last edited:
If optimized OC is a setting at 1.9v for CPU input? I would leave it at that. For Vcore increase I would use 0.010v at a time.

I find it quicker to use larger increments and half them... for example, if I am sitting at 1.4V, I'll try 1.35V. If that works, I try 1.30V. If that doesn't work, I go up .025V... etc. This way it isn't just adding a slight amount of voltage. I would only ever use .01V is that is my FINAL tweak. But, that is just me and how I manage my time. :)

Noticed my attachment was not attached... fixed that
Any thoughts on per core multipliers? possible to get 5Ghz stable on one core with air with reasonable compromises (eg not disabling cores)?

Please attach photos directly with your posts rather than zipping them. We want them to show immediately as pictures in your posts.

Here are the setting i was trying to get stable,
I changed my mind and deiced to go for 4.4 and get the temp below 80C (Stock 4 core turbo holds at 3.7Ghz @ <60C)
i read 4.4Ghz should need about 1.2 V and i am lucky to boot at 1.23
am i doing something wrong *see attachments*
I hope i did not end up with a dud for OCing...

Attachments

• 180504190547.png
    180504190547.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 4,207
  • 180504190615.png
    180504190615.png
    338.1 KB · Views: 4,176
  • 180504190626.png
    180504190626.png
    362.3 KB · Views: 4,181
  • 180504190646.png
    180504190646.png
    366.8 KB · Views: 4,359
  • 180504190655.png
    180504190655.png
    349 KB · Views: 4,178
Do you have the ability to adjust the Load Line Calibration except "enable" or "disable" it? Something is wrong there. You should not need a vcore of 1.3 to get an overclock of 4.4 on that CPU unless you are a big time silicon lottery loser.

CPU Load Line Calibration only has enable/disable options
I think i have had that setting randomly change when changing profiles or rather not change when it should

all the options aside from vcore override voltage and the all core multiplier are based on the included OC profiles that come with the bios (i have no faith in those profiles what so ever, i know the stock 4.4 profile is unstable)

Back