• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i2500k OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander2k

Hello , this is my first attempt in tryn to OC this CPU . I have a new GPU and i want to give the CPU a boost too. Im on a asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. The only thing i did for now is to set the multiplyer to 40 and leave everything else alone and tried to watch the values for voltage . This is where i stopped because i dont rlly know what to read . I have two voltages , the VCore wich stays ok even on auto and the VID wich goes crazy . Give me a help here guys pelase x.png

Mjolnir

That voltage looks like it's also on auto.

My 2500k back in the day ran 4.5ghz at 1.3v. Consider 4.2ghz at around 1.25v with LLC in the bios set to high. Realistically this should net you something relatively stable, as I've done it over 3 different sandy chips and didn't have a problem, but your mileage may vary.

What's the rest of your system specs.

wingman99

The Vcore is the voltage going to the CPU. The VID is the (Voltage identification) from the CPU according to load, VID tells the VRM what to set the Vcore to dynamically when using auto or offset.

OP
X

xander2k

Ok so what should i do now ?:) Can i let it on 4Ghz auto even if the vid goes as high as 1.45 ? . The vcore never goes over 1.27 even after 3-4 hours of prime.
Rest of the rig is 16 gb corsair venegance 1600 , intel ssd 240, gtx 1060 and i can't remember what psu i have sorry .
PS . I'd really want to go with 4.0 4.2 to help the gtx . My load line is already high . Should i start messing with voltage offset till i get a better vid or should i watch the vcore to be steady under 1.3v and forget about vid ?

trents

This ^. Just be aware that not all monitoring programs use the same terminology in the same way and neither do they always use the same terms found in your bios.

I would encourage you to experiment with modest changes to various voltage parameters in bios if you are not sure what they do. Make a modest change to a bios setting that is not likely to harm anything and then check your monitoring software to see which line item was affected by the change. And change one thing at a time so you can identify what is the corresponding line item in the monitoring software.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I may be reading the OP's screenshot wrong, but I see that his VID is (max) 1.42V while his Vcore (Max) is 1.26V. What are we seeing there? You will also note in my screenshot(s) below, the same thing in that both are flipped...

Perhaps it varies by board/sensors as to what it shows as accurate...? What are we seeing?

hwmon.jpg

hwmonskylake.jpg

Last edited:

wingman99

Well now I know where your Coming from and the OP. I'm glad that my VID and Vcore reading is correct. What does the 6700k show for VID in HWiNFO64 under stress test?

Last edited:

Theocnoob

OP- Don't worry about the above conversation, it's doesn't really apply to you.

The only voltages you need to pay attention to when you overclock Sandybridge are provided by CPU-Z. As long as you don't change any other voltages (You shouldn't have to) there is no need to look at voltages in HWmonitor. (IMO. They are helpful dont get me wrong but in the interests of making this easy and painless for you, you can ignore them)

I wrote the Sandybridge overclocking guide. You can private message me if you want and I will help you OC or you can just post questions here. Remember that the guide is just to get you started and explains how to dial in a more specific voltage once you get stable. Read the whole thing.

By the way, if you have only the stock heatsink that came with the CPU, do not overclock. You will need an aftermarket one, such as a CoolerMaster Hyper 212, to keep your CPU cool when overclocked.

OP
X

xander2k

Yes EarthDog , that is a completely new thread , its another RIG , but still i have the same problem there too where hwmonitor doesn't read my values too good . hwinfo cpu-z and intel XTU did the job tho .