• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i3820 DX79SR Kingston RAM speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhine5588

Registered
Hello,

Second post, first about this system-

DX79SR
i3820
Kingston 9905403-826.A00LF

I have successfully been able to bring the CPU clock up to 4.63ghz (128.61x36) and it runs pretty solid.

No matter what RAM speed or timings I try I can not get my setup to boot much past 4.7ghz.

I have loosened timing, raised voltages, tightened timings, slowed the RAM down, sped the RAM up, let the mobo sort everything automatically, removed all but one stick of RAM... Nothing seems to work.

If I have the bus speed much past 130 it throws a 4F fault and won't even post.

I'm believing this value RAM just does not like to run much faster than that, no matter how far I turn it down. Currently at 4.63ghz the RAM is running at 1372mhz with 12-12-12-31 timing. Default settings are 11-11-11-28.

Does anyone have a few settings I can try?

Thanks

Jeremy

You're limited out.

1) Sandy Bridge don't BCLK worth a damn.
2) no mention of cooling, temps, or voltage.
3) Not much point in overclocking ram. There is almost no real world benefit

Cooling- Cooler Master MasterLiquid AIO
Temps- staying below 65c while running at 4.63
Voltages-
VCore 1.4
VRam 1.53
I bumped nearly all other voltage settings up a step or two just to be safe, bumped the System whatever voltage that was recommended for RAM to 1.6 iirc still with no post.

I'm used to the old Core Intel's, I don't remember what all of the voltage settings are for this "newer" stuff.

I can get specifics if necessary though.

As for the RAM, I won't bother overclocking it once I get it to post at a higher clock speed. It will probably end up around 1500 I'd guess if I can get the CPU around 5ghz, which is my goal.

Thanks

Jeremy

I looked at it last night but I forget why I didn't try it... I think because I didn't try turning down the multiplier or I couldn't turn it down far enough to be at a "safe" speed on the RAM.

I'll look at that again now.

Thanks

Jeremy
Post magically merged:

Bumped it to 1.67 (on my mobo) with a 30 multiplier (I think, forgot to double check) and went through almost every BCLK to keep RAM speed under 1600 (all the way to 4.93ghz) and it would not post. All with only one stick of RAM in as well.

Currently back down to 4.5ghz (125X36) and RAM is running at 1666 11-11-11-28.

I have the cooling to bring this chip much further...

Jeremy

If you are wanting to push that CPU + MB here is a link to HWBot's i7-3820 submissions :cool: https://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_3820/
As I said : You are already at the MAX the OCers have gotten to on AIR/Water. I would now reference the Link I gave to our Womack's Memory testing on Sandy & Ive Bridge CPU IMC's. His testing to good for all i7-3xxx & 4xxx Series CPU's. -- https://www.overclockers.com/memory-overclocking-guide-ivy-bridge/

You can setup an account at HWBot.org and submit you scores/join our benching team :)
Here is also a link to find out what your memory's IC's are : http://ramlist.i4memory.com/ddr3/
**AND** Here is a link to help overclock different IC's : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?285767-DDR3-IC-thread

System has been running super stable but I think I'm going to need to get a new HDD soon...

In the interim, I'm curious if I could gain anything by swapping SATA ports.

From the Technical Product Spec manual of my board-
The board provides eight SATA connectors which support one device per connector:
• Two internal SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors through the PCH (blue)
• Two internal SATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors through a Marvell 88SE9128 controller (gray)
• Four internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors through the PCH (black)

I'm currently using none of the 3.0 Gb/s ports but have both my SSD (system drive) and my "Games and Storage" HDD in the PCH and my Blu-ray rom (yeah, I know) and eSATA in the Marvell controller ports.

Would I benefit by moving either or both of the drives to the Marvell controller?

The HDD is a WD Black and runs 100% most of the time while running GTAO.

Jeremy

From reviews that where published later, the Marvell Controller (9128) was found to be slower than the Intel's PCH Controller. Not sure of your SSD's maker BUT - SATA III max spec is 550mb read & write and the Marvell Controllers do like ~ 325mb - 375mb read & ~ 300 mb write.
Here are links for test that where done.

Back