• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I5 3750k @ 5ghz "stable" : Need advice/opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krang25

Hi! I just received my new rig a few days ago, went ahead and built it, then installed the os and all the soft and overclocked it sucessfully to 5ghz. :D

Here are my components :

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 CORSAIR HX750 750W Modular
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225 COOLER MASTER HAF X
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830 ASUS Maximus V Gene LGA 1155 Intel Z77
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504 Intel Core I5-3570k 3.4Ghz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125422 Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB OC
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 CL9 16GB (4 x 4 GB)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048 Creative Sound Blaster Z (still has not arrived.. should be coming in soon)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_202_972&products_id=33549 XSPC RX360 Premium kit with Rev 2 Radiator, D5 Pump, 2000 rpm fans, Primochill primoflex Avanced lrt tubing and Compression fittings Set up in push-pull with the 2 x 200mm fans of the case
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_48&products_id=28854 NestQ FanMax 5.25'' Fan Controler

The I put in an old ocz vertex 2 ssd in there with a seagate barracuda 3tb HDD I had from my old computer.

Here are my UEFI Bios settings(the ones I changed from the default, all other will be set at default settings) :

Ai overclock tuner : X.M.P.
BCLK Frequency : 100.0 (default but thought it would be relevant to write it here)
Turbo Ratio : Manual
Ratio Synchronizing Control : Enabled
1-Core Ratio limit : 50
Internal Pll Overvoltage : Enabled
Cpu Voltage : Manual
Cpu Manual Voltage : 1.375
Cpu Pll Voltage : 1.8 (Auto usually has it running at 1.816-1.82, so I set it at 1.8 which is a little lower so cooler)
Cpu Spread Spectrum : Disabled
BCLK Recovery : Disabled
In Cpu Advanced power management :
CPU Ratio : 50
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology : Disabled
CPU C1E : Disabled (was causing my cpu to throttle even with Speedstep disabled)
CPU C3 Report : Disabled
CPU C6 Report : Disabled
CPU C7 Report : Disabled
In DIGI + Power control:
CPU Load-Line Calibration : Ultra High
Cpu Voltage frequency : Manual
CPU fixed frequency : 350
Cpu Power Phase control : Extreme
Cpu Current Capability : 140%
Cpu Thermal Control : 130
In Advanced Tab:
Internal Adaptive Thermal Monitor : Enabled
Active Processor cores : all
Limit CUPID Maximum : Disabled
Execute disable Bit : Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology : Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher : Enabled
Adjacent cache line Prefetch : Enabled

So This is my setup. I am running the Watercooling kit on the CPU only but plan to buy a GPU block to add it to the loop later on. I have tried changing the pll voltage down a bit (1.7, 1.75) but my OC gets unstable. I also tried to turn down load line calibration which on High seemed to be doing fine but had a Prime95 crash on blend mode after about 8 hours. As is, I have completed a 100 tests on Very High in IBT with success and then a 12 hour run on Prime95 blend mode without any errors. I really reached my wall at 5ghz cause at 4.9 Ghz I could have a 12 hour prime95 blend run completed without errors on 1.325 vcore, 1.8 pll, high load line calibration and everything else set as with this config with really low temps.

I used the X.M.P. option so I'm running my memory at the recommended settings : 1.5v 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24.

Right now while running Prime95 my temps are at 32 degrees for the minimum heat on my 3rd core(hottest core), and 82 Degrees maximum heat on the same core. Average temp while running prime95 blend is about 67 on the hottest core. While running very cpu intensive games (I'm mostly a gamer and movie/music listener.. I don't use it to compile or any other proffesional needs except the occasional visual studio build compilation) like Arma II : operation Arrowhead my average temps are about 45 degrees on the hottest core (3rd) @ about 45% CPU utilization.

I was wondering if you guys would do any further tweaks to the settings or if you would change anything to get more performance with less heat or anything of the sorts. I would also like to know if this is suitable for a 24/7 setup. I never close my computer... well only if I leave on a trip for several days. I want to be sure this is going to be safe as an everyday OC. I also have a 2nd screen where I have RealTemp and CoreTemp set up to monitor my temperatures so I will always be able to see (thinking of installing rainmeter up again with the meters so I don't have to open the softwares every time I reboot).

Here are some pics :

*Once I completed my 12 hour stress tests I forgot to take a screen shot and closed Prime95, same thing with IBT.. so I started it again now on my 6th hour... will re-post fresh pics of it when it's done and successful.* Also using firefox while running the tests .. watching vids on youtube :bang head

So yeah like I said, any tweaks you guys would make? Any changes to my settings would be more optimal? Is this a safe OC for 24/7 oriented towards gaming and media playback? Are these good results ? Please, I'd appreciate any feedback at all :thup:

Last edited:
Hi! I just received my new rig a few days ago, went ahead and built it, then installed the os and all the soft and overclocked it sucessfully to 5ghz. :D

I really reached my wall at 5ghz cause at 4.9 Ghz I could have a 12 hour prime95 blend run completed without errors on 1.325 vcore, 1.8 pll, high load line calibration and everything else set as with this config with really low temps.

:welcome:

It seems like you got a pretty nice sample 3570K to be able to run (long runs) of Prime/IBT at 50x ~1.375v load. :thup:

If it were mine... I would probably consider dropping back to 49x and go with lower vcore and lower temps. Unlikely to miss 100MHz or even 200MHz with IB for daily useage.

I would also try running my Ram with 1T command rate.

Nice rig!

4.9ghz with only 1.325v! That is a sweet sweet chip!

I would stick with 4.9ghz, there really is no point for more unless its for benchmarking and you don't really need 24/7 stability for that... lol

:welcome:

It seems like you got a pretty nice sample 3570K to be able to run (long runs) of Prime/IBT at 50x ~1.375v load. :thup:

If it were mine... I would probably consider dropping back to 49x and go with lower vcore and lower temps. Unlikely to miss 100MHz or even 200MHz with IB for daily useage.

I would also try running my Ram with 1T command rate.

Nice rig!

4.9ghz with only 1.325v! That is a sweet sweet chip!

I would stick with 4.9ghz, there really is no point for more unless its for benchmarking and you don't really need 24/7 stability for that... lol

Lol Yep, seems the consensus is that I got a really nice chip! :D
I tried upping the speed on the push-pull fans (it was near minimum) and got a 3-4 degree decrease overall. I'm going to try and play with the fans settings a bit a try and figure out the optimal speeds.

I heard that with Ivy bridge chips hitting 85-95 in stress testing is acceptable, and in my case I only hit 83 degrees once. It usually stands at around 75-80 on the hottest core on the most intense parts of Prime95 so make that around 71-76 with the new fans speeds*.
While gaming last night in Arma II (very cpu intensive) with all maxed out was getting around 45 degrees and at idle I get about 25-30.

What I will probably end up doing is saving these setting in the BIOS as a 5ghz profile, then make a stable 4.8 one and save it once its stable. Ill use the 5ghz one during the Winter, and 4.8 during summer time. You think this would be a good compromise?

I will try the 1t command rate also!

Last edited:
He is on a custom loop :cool:

Well this is a pre-built kit, but it was bought from performance-pcs which sells these custom kits. Its the original XSPC rx 360 kit, but instead comes with the Rev2 radiator (versus rev1), compression fittings (versus standard fittings), a D5 pump (versus the 750 pump), 2000rpm rad fans (vs 1650), Primoflex primochill advanced lrt tubing (bought seperatly). :p

Well this is a pre-built kit, but it was bought from performance-pcs which sells these custom kits. Its the original XSPC rx 360 kit, but instead comes with the Rev2 radiator (versus rev1), compression fittings (versus standard fittings), a D5 pump (versus the 750 pump), 2000rpm rad fans (vs 1650), Primoflex primochill advanced lrt tubing (bought seperatly). :p

I know... it almost like mine, except I have a Swiftech block and an EX360 instead of the RX.

LOL where can I edit the thread if my first post dissapeared XD

I wrote I5 3750k @ 5ghz "stable" : Need advice/opinions as title instead of 3570k

Back