• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4670K upgrade to 6800K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

Hey,

So parents pc finally taking a crap it been running pretty much 24/7 and is a core 2 duo. I figured I would give them my i5, mobo and ram and upgrade my pc.

Do you think it's worth going from 4670k @ 4.6ghz to a i7 6800K? I play games, stream sometimes and render videos for a couple of friends.

I play @ 2560x1440 and just got a GTX 1080 so I kinda got the itch to upgrade the rest of my pc.

I will be overclocking the 6800K if I do get one and hopefully I can get at least 4.2ghz out of it.

Just wanted to get your guys opinions before I decide to buy cpu, mobo and ram

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Depending on the video rendering software, you could see some improvements there.

I'd just go to a 6700K for your usage...

OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

Depending on the video rendering software, you could see some improvements there.

I'd just go to a 6700K for your usage...
That's what I was wondering, I might just do that since it will be a little cheaper and 6700k seem to overclock pretty good.

ATMINSIDE

You'll really see the price difference when you get to the motherboard and RAM (2 sticks vs 4 sticks).

Tech Tweaker

Is your current CPU not meeting your needs?

The i5 4670K doesn't really seem that old or outdated (to me at least). Heck, the i5 2500K, i7 2600K, i5 3570K, and i7 3770K are still fairly relevant.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
He's giving it to his parents so he can upgrade. :)

Anyway, I second what atm said. Chances are you will be fine with a 6700k. There is around $200 difference between platforms between cpu, mobo, and ram. But...if you can use the threads and have the money...

Tech Tweaker

He's giving it to his parents so he can upgrade. :)

Anyway, I second what atm said. Chances are you will be fine with a 6700k. There is around $200 difference between platforms between cpu, mobo, and ram. But...if you can use the threads and have the money...
Weird, I don't remember seeing that in the post when I read it. Either I read it too fast or it was added in later.

Well, I guess the i7 may help in the video rendering and streaming tasks.

OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

Do you guys think 6700K would last me 3-4 years or would a 6800K be better in the long run. I honestly don't plan on upgrading anything for at least 3 years.

ATMINSIDE

Again, it depends on how much you'll utilize the extra cores.
Currently I see no reason you aren't fine with the 6700K.

OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

Again, it depends on how much you'll utilize the extra cores.
Currently I see no reason you aren't fine with the 6700K.

Yeah I gonna head over to microcenter since they sell cpu's cheaper there and I guess I will just decide when I get there. Thanks for reply's and help, appreciate it.

OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

Parents gave me some money for giving them basically a new pc which was nice of them so I decided to grab x99 and 6800k.

I was pretty close to ordering the 6700k but I wanted to play around with 6 core and x99 platform.

What I ordered

Most of my stuff is white colored so I wanted to try and match everything

Intel Core i7-6800K
GIGABYTE GA-X99-Phoenix (White and Orange)
2 x CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 (White)
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB

I didn't know what board to choose from but I saw these new gigabyte boards just got released and I figured why not I used gigabyte for a long time. Once I am up and running I will report back on overclocking and other stuff :)

Thanks for all the help and reply's.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
I agree , nice set up your going to have . I have no regrets going with a six core x99 ; but now wish I had a 14nm chip (vs 22nm) :p

I think you'll be pretty darn happy with your choice !

Last edited:
OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

This board is pretty nice, has some very nice features with bios and love that I can wipe my SSD's from bios as well.

TXJNurxh.jpg

Thermal Paste Cleaner is so much better compared to when I just use rubbing alcohol lol.

1HMNWpmh.jpg

First Boot

7G8xeCRh.jpg

Everything up and running. Took me about 2 hours to fix all my wiring and stuff.

nZpfIdHh.jpg

Currently downloading all my stuff I used and will play some games and tomorrow I will jump into overclocking and messing around.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Niiiice , job well done and looks great ! Congratz man .

Now Iam jealous :p

OP
redrumy3

redrumy3

Looks great,:drool: How do you like the GTX 1080? can't wait to hear how it overclocks.

Thanks, the 1080 is such a good card for 2560x1440, my frames are way better compared to 980. It gets warm quick though I have to leave fan around 70% to keep it under 60c load don't want it any higher tbh. I plan to try and at least get 4.2ghz overclock out of it without having crazy temps.

Niiiice , job well done and looks great ! Congratz man .

Now Iam jealous :p
Thanks I was saving up for something nice and this was it lol.

DaveB

Nice rig. I've had two X99 i7 5820K systems with Gigabyte boards - both rock stable OC'd at 4.3 GHz on air. I sold the first after I retired and downgraded to an i5 6600K setup. I used the first one to work from home and needed the 12 threads and figured I could "limp" along on a quad core. But I could "feel" the difference so I sold the Skylake and built my second X99 from open box parts at Microcenter and a used i7 5820K I picked up here. I simply used the "CPU Upgrade" feature in the BIOS to go to 4.3 GHz. The CPU will do a little more, but my old trusty Cooler Master Hyper 212 would have to go. Anyway, good luck with your OC adventures - those Broadwell-E's can get pretty hot!