• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 650 Clarkdale OC for DDR3 1866mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Interactivism

Hey everyone! Been lurking the forums and finally decided to join!

I got an old Clarkdale i5 650 3.2mhz cpu (with integrated gpu) on a Biostar TH55B HD mobo, no external GPU.
Recently I decided to add some more ram to it, and got two 1866 4gb sticks. Currently the setup has a single 1333 4gb stick (which i want to toss out).

The bios goes up to 1333mhz normal and 2000mhz OC, and I've been trying to OC the CPU to get the new sticks to work, to no avail. I'm definitely new to overclocking, I know my way around a bios and some basics but im struggling to get this to work.

Lately i've been thinking it might be the i5 that just doesn't allow me to get to 1866 sticks. On normal or auto overclock the memory won't work (doesn't even run at 1333, I just get a frozen screen as windows boots up).

The new sticks are both Hyperx HX318C10FB/4 - There is little info on compatibility with my mobo but as far as I've read they should work. I've been testing my OC's only using one (replaced 1333mhz for 1866mhz stick), so that if this doesn't work I can at least return the other one. This is how my mobo reads it:
DDR3.jpg

I started with the 3 step guide from miahallen, some settings are missing from my bios and some things I just can't figure out.

BIOS.png
There is also a iGPU Frecuency setting that is present in my bios but not on this image for some reason.

My DRAM Frequency setting will go up to 1333, working on a x10/8/6 multiplier and only going up by increasing the CPU Frecuency Setting. Even if I change the CPU Ratio, it'll still move as x10 / x8 / x6 on the ram frequency settings. I haven't found any separated DRAM ratio setting. I've tried matching the timings to the new ram sticks too.
I've also tried upping the CPU Frecuency to 187, that way I could get 1870mhz on my RAM Frecuency, and lowering the CPU ratio to something like x12/x15/x19 to keep the mhz in control. This didn't work either and I can't figure out how to set the QPI Frecuency and the iGPU Frecuency properly. I haven't dared to mess with the voltages yet.

Any help is vastly appreciated, I know this mobo and chip are olden and it's hard finding info to work with!

Last edited:
Do you have the two sticks in the right memory slots? Check the manual to make sure which slots you should be using with two sticks.

You mean, NO! You only have one stick? :p

THe manual tells you which slot the a single stick should be in as well. Be sure it is in there.

Hey everyone! Been lurking the forums and finally decided to join!

I got an old Clarkdale i5 650 3.2mhz cpu (with integrated gpu) on a Biostar TH55B HD mobo, no external GPU.
Recently I decided to add some more ram to it, and got two 1866 4gb sticks. Currently the setup has a single 1333 4gb stick (which i want to toss out).

The bios goes up to 1333mhz normal and 2000mhz OC, and I've been trying to OC the CPU to get the new sticks to work, to no avail. I'm definitely new to overclocking, I know my way around a bios and some basics but im struggling to get this to work.

Lately i've been thinking it might be the i5 that just doesn't allow me to get to 1866 sticks. On normal or auto overclock the memory won't work (doesn't even run at 1333, I just get a frozen screen as windows boots up).

The new sticks are both Hyperx HX318C10FB/4 - There is little info on compatibility with my mobo but as far as I've read they should work. I've been testing my OC's only using one (replaced 1333mhz for 1866mhz stick), so that if this doesn't work I can at least return the other one. This is how my mobo reads it:
View attachment 209735

I started with the 3 step guide from miahallen, some settings are missing from my bios and some things I just can't figure out.

View attachment 209732
There is also a iGPU Frecuency setting that is present in my bios but not on this image for some reason.

My DRAM Frequency setting will go up to 1333, working on a x10/8/6 multiplier and only going up by increasing the CPU Frecuency Setting. Even if I change the CPU Ratio, it'll still move as x10 / x8 / x6 on the ram frequency settings. I haven't found any separated DRAM ratio setting. I've tried matching the timings to the new ram sticks too.
I've also tried upping the CPU Frecuency to 187, that way I could get 1870mhz on my RAM Frecuency, and lowering the CPU ratio to something like x12/x15/x19 to keep the mhz in control. This didn't work either and I can't figure out how to set the QPI Frecuency and the iGPU Frecuency properly. I haven't dared to mess with the voltages yet.

Any help is vastly appreciated, I know this mobo and chip are olden and it's hard finding info to work with!

Sure sounded like you were trying to insert both sticks. If not, why did you "add" more RAM? Are you saying you've reverted to trying them one at time because they didn't work as a pair?

Also, what voltage are the Hyper X 1866 modules supposed to run at? Generally, high speed RAM requires more voltage. Have you tried increasing the RAM voltage?

Hey! thanks for getting back at me. The PC is running on a single 1333mhz 4gb stick. My goal is to replace that for two 1866mhz sticks of 4gb each, to get 8gb ram total.

Since I don't know if this is achievable on this mobo/chipset, I've only tested the OC's with one of the new 1866mhz sticks. I took out the 1333mhz one and put in only one of the 1866mhz ones. Don't want to open the other one till I'm sure I can get them to run, so that if they wont run I can at least return the unopened 1866mhz stick.

The 1333mhz stick is 1.5v and the new 1866mhz ones are also 1.5v

Thanks for the clarification. Try giving the 1866 1.55 voltage. Won't hurt them.

I would think that motherboard/cpu should be able to run at least 1600MHz if not 1866MHz and possibly even higher?? You might need to manually adjust some of the memory timings. The BIOS for that old board is more set up for slower 1333MHz/1600MHz 2GB sticks that were the norm back when that platform was current tech. It could also be some kind of memory compatibility issue with those newer memory sticks?

I have a Clarkdale... (i3-530) but I'm currently running an i7-870 (Lynnfield) with this BIOSTAR TH55XE motherboard. I actually purchased it new but had long since passed it on to my sister for her to use. She ran the Clarkdale/BIOSTAR combo for quite some time but finally a month or so back I upgraded her system to a (somewhat) more recent 2600K/Z-77 combo.

Here is a screen shot of the i7-870/BIOSTAR running at ~1900C9 4x4GB (cooling is with a stock Intel 2600K cooler):

i7 870 Biostar TH55XE DDR3 1900C9.PNG

I took another look at this and installed my sample Clarkdale i3-530...

The combo will run at higher memory speeds 1600Mhz(+) but the I did encounter a memory compatibility issue with a kit of higher density single rank sticks.

Your kit specs here:
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX318C10FB_4.pdf
Showing 8 higher density chips in 1R configuration (single-sided sticks)

My combo shown below running with two different lower density 2R (double-sided) kits... 1 kit @2x2GB (PSC/IC Mushkin) and 1 kit @2X4GB (Samsung HCH9/IC Kingston):

i3 530 Biostar TH55XE DDR3 1822C7.PNG

i3 530 Biostar TH55XE DDR3 1866C9.PNG

I also have one kit of 2X4GB 1R (single-sided) higher density sticks (Hynix MFR/IC Team) that actually posts/runs fine with the i7-870 (Nehalem) but fails to post with the i3-530 using two sticks and barely posts with one stick @Default 1333MHz: But still MemTest unstable and BSOD's when loading Windows.

i7 870 Biostar TH55XE DDR3 1866C9 1R.PNG

The Clarkdale CPU is getting obsolete now. They had a two die configuration that impacted memory performance compared to the Nehalem chips plus being limited to two cores with Hyper threading. Compare the AIDA memory benchmark between the Clarkdale/Nehalem runs. The on-board graphics are also very dated.

From Wikipedia: "The Clarkdale processor package contains two dies: the 32 nm processor die with the I/O connections, and the 45 nm graphics and integrated memory controller die.[2] Physical separation of the processor die and memory controller die resulted in increased memory latency."

I'm guessing now that those HyperX Fury kits that you purchased are not compatible with Clarkdale?

It might be time to upgrade the platform to something more current or you could look for an inexpensive i7-870 on Ebay and pair it with something like a GT1030?

Hi! Apologies for my delay. Thank you so, so much for taking the time to review my situation! I really appreciate you going through all that trouble to figure this out.

I'm guessing now that those HyperX Fury kits that you purchased are not compatible with Clarkdale?

I guess this was it then indeed, I had my reservations but given how its nearly impossible finding old compatible RAMs and after reading positive clocks on a website I went for these.
Thank you again for helping me figure this out and I hope this thread stays up as info for any Clarkdale user!

Back