• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600k overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjkart20

So I finally decided to ditch my AMD stuff and switch over to Intel! I bought the i5 6600k and asus ROG Maximus VIII hero motherboard. I was pretty familiar and confident when overclocking my AMD stuff. However, with the little research I have done with Intel things look to be a little bit different and maybe more complicated compared to my AMD stuff?.?. My shipment will be in Thursday and I'll be installing Thursday night so I was just trying to get a little research done beforehand. Also, it doesn't seem like there are that many GOOD guides with the new skylake stuff. With this new chip I want to overclock as high as I can without increasing the voltages. Also, I know with my AMD stuff I had to go in and manually adjust the timing with my RAM. I guess I'll need to do that with this setup too? Where do you all recommend I start? Anyone know of any good guides with the new skylake stuff, or just Intel in general? I think I may be overthinking everything and should just wait in till I get in the bios... I just can't wait. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas!
Thanks everyone!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
More complicated? Not in the least! In fact its way easier!

If you want to overclock 'as high as you can without increasing the voltage', the only thing you need to touch is the multiplier on the CPU. I would start at maybe 4Ghz and work your way up from there. The overall concept is the same, raise multi, stress test for a few minutes... good? Raise multi, stress test for a few minutes..... rinse and repeat until it fails then back it off and see if it is stable.

Is there a reason why you don't want to raise voltage? You should be able to get that CPU to 4.5 GHz or so if you allow yourself to raise the voltage.

OP
C

cjkart20

I'm sure when I'm doing it I'll decide to raise the voltage. I guess that's the point for having a watercooler right haha? Glad to hear it's easier. How is it with adjusting the ram and timing? Also, is there all the power saving options I'm going to have to mess with like I did on the AMD stuff

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
There is little point to adjust the ram and timings, but it is the same process as on AMD. That said, I would just set XMP profile, save and reboot, then overclock the CPU.

Yes, you disable the power savings features typically. :)

OP
C

cjkart20

I'll give that a shot. Xmp first. Make sure it's stable. Then start to overclock the CPU. Once everything is stable I can just turn back on all the power saving stuff right?

OP
C

cjkart20

Doing the xmp will set all the timing and stuff for me? I remember with my current setup I had to go in and manually pick the memory frequency then set the timing and latency etc. for it to match up.

Will prime 95 blend test still be a good choice for testing stability?

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Awesome!! Fed ex man better hurry up tomorrow.

Overclocking this chip is like falling off a log. Follow ED's advice, just increase the multiplier.
An example of an easy overclock on stock voltage and cooling is in my sig. Until you get used
to it I would test it all out with just the OS installed. I never overclocked the RAMs so far.

||Console||

I overclock a bit different than most ppl I start at the voltage im comfortable with and then just see how far it will go I have a idea ( from research ) that x volts on avg = x ghz.

RollingThunder

Is that above turbo, like 4.1-4.2GHz on some?

Correct, my 4200GHz over "3900GHz Turbo" on default BIOS reading voltage (~1.1v) is about
what is expected. I've been to 4300GHz on default voltage but haven't had a chance to run it
with Orthos / Prime95. I suspect I'll need a manual voltage setting of ~ 1.2v to pass there.
Temps @ 4200GHz have been mid 60's C with Orthos / Prime 95. Regardless, these I5 1151
6600K chips seem to clock very nicely and easily.

ARound there, from what (little) I have seen, yep! :)

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just jumped to intel from amd myself, the names of things have changed is all.
and like they said, set the ram once and then it's multi and test like you did with amd.

wingman99

Correct, my 4200GHz over "3900GHz Turbo" on default BIOS reading voltage (~1.1v) is about
what is expected. I've been to 4300GHz on default voltage but haven't had a chance to run it
with Orthos / Prime95. I suspect I'll need a manual voltage setting of ~ 1.2v to pass there.
Temps @ 4200GHz have been mid 60's C with Orthos / Prime 95. Regardless, these I5 1151
6600K chips seem to clock very nicely and easily.

What cooling do you use for 4.2GHz?

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
You can use intel reference cooler as long as you won't run anything like Prime95 for longer. But really up to 1.2V any smaller cooler is enough. Problems are starting above ~1.25V. Not so big voltage bump but temps are raising fast.
I'm using 6600K and 6700K @4.2GHz for most tests and gaming. Both require about 1.18V to run stable but I always set ~1.2V. Smaller Cryorig coolers are nice - C7 or M9i but you can use anything similar. It's just hard to find anything as small and well performing as C7.

RollingThunder

What cooling do you use for 4.2GHz?

Stock cooling, I bought an OEM cooler that comes with the non-K 6600 chips to begin with.

IMG_5038.JPG

You can use intel reference cooler as long as you won't run anything like Prime95 for longer. But really up to 1.2V any smaller cooler is enough. Problems are starting above ~1.25V. Not so big voltage bump but temps are raising fast.
I'm using 6600K and 6700K @4.2GHz for most tests and gaming. Both require about 1.18V to run stable but I always set ~1.2V. Smaller Cryorig coolers are nice - C7 or M9i but you can use anything similar. It's just hard to find anything as small and well performing as C7.

I have found this to be very accurate. I actually set Vcore for 4200GHz to 1.2V but I have run it at default
Vcore shown in the BIOS (~1.15V). I haven't had a chance to install the Cryorg cooler that you recommended yet.
All testing with Orthos / Prime95 were for two hours and temps on any core never exceeded 67C @4200GHz
and 1.15Vcore. When testing with AIDA64 temps were somewhat less.

Last edited: