• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600k Temperature Spikes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slammer88

Hello there.

I'm currently using i5 6600k (@ 4.4Ghz in 1.295v), Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and Cooler Master Seidon V2.

I'm testing my O.C settings under Prime95 and while watching the temperatures via AIDA64 or RealTemp, i see that my idle temperature is between 30-35 Celsius, while under %100 Load, it jumps up to 90 Degrees Celsius instanly.

Weird thing is, whenever i stop the process in Prime95 (or whatever i do), temperatures drop immediately to 30-35 Degrees in 1 second. I suppose that it's physically impossible. And when i reach my hand behind my case, i don't sense any hot air coming out of nowhere.

All of my components are brand new, hasnt even passed 1 year after buying them.

Is this normal, or a common issue ? Is there any better software to let me see my real temperatures ?

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Sounds pretty normal to me but the temp does seem a bit high but not totally unrealistic with a 120 AIO. Prime 95 is a heavy load for the CPU so yes it jumps to full power pretty much instantly

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Yup I agree with Johan. If you want better temps, you'll have to upgrade your cooling. Any program you'll use will show the same temps as they all read from the same sensors on the board.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Normal really... temps are warm, but the instant heat and instant down to above idle is completely normal... you aren't giving your loop/heatsink time to heat up........ that is clearly the reason why you are not feeling anything out of the back of the case. ;)

OP
S

Slammer88

First of all, thank you all for your answers :) Currently, i'm at 4.4ghz with 1.310v, seems stable so far (after a 1.5 hour flight in P3D)

Under game load again (P3D for example), it doesnt exceed 60-65 Degrees, but Prime95 is a real torture for the CPU i'd say :)

Yet, i can't understand how does that instant heat spikes occur and i don't feel it :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Can you hold your hand over a lighter flame for a second? Its not enough time to transfer the heat to the water to make a sig ificant difference. Run the stress test for an hour and see. ;)

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
First of all, thank you all for your answers :) Currently, i'm at 4.4ghz with 1.310v, seems stable so far (after a 1.5 hour flight in P3D)

Under game load again (P3D for example), it doesnt exceed 60-65 Degrees, but Prime95 is a real torture for the CPU i'd say :)

Yet, i can't understand how does that instant heat spikes occur and i don't feel it :)

On the advice of a few here I have abandoned Prime95 and use AIDA64 exclusively now. At stock Prime95 ran temps up too high and that caused me concern until I inquired to Earthdog and his recommendation was AIDA64. I can run AIDA 64 stable all day at the mild settings in my profile for the 6600K and temps never exceed 68-69 C.

AIDA64 is one nice all-around program and rock-solid.

wingman99

I run prime95 v28.10 with i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5GHz at 1.332v and hyper 212 air cooler, the maximum temperature after 2 hours is 86c.

SPL Tech

If you think P95 heats up your CPU, try Intel Burn In Test. That will get your CPU cooking!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Burn in gets temps well above P95 does. a minimum of 5c higher, if not 10c.
I dont remember it that way, but could be wrong... :)

EDIT: P95 v28.10 (small fft) after 30 mins reached into the 90s... IBT after 10 mins so far, didn't reached the 60s (Maximum stress level)... after IBT gets thirty mins, I will post the SS...

EDIT2: Not sure what I may have done wrong???????? But IBT Maximum is like 30C LESS than P95 Small FFT. p95 30 mins.jpg ibtmax.jpg

Last edited:

SPL Tech

I dont remember it that way, but could be wrong... :)

EDIT: P95 v28.10 (small fft) after 30 mins reached into the 90s... IBT after 10 mins so far, didn't reached the 60s (Maximum stress level)... after IBT gets thirty mins, I will post the SS...

EDIT2: Not sure what I may have done wrong???????? But IBT Maximum is like 30C LESS than P95 Small FFT.View attachment 191108View attachment 191109

Strange, IBT is hotter than P95 for me.