• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 6600k temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

Guys i have a quastion about temps of the i5 6600k.

i can run totally stable at 4.7ghz with 1.34v set in bios, under load it will give me 1.352v.

when playing a game for about 2 houre i get 58 degrees celsius on the highest core.

but with the summer coming (hopefully also in holland) of course the temp will go higher, so my quastion is what do you guys find a good temp that You are comfortabel with?

Aquaman78

58c is chilly for these Skylakes. They can handle up to 90c before you need to start worrying. I also was able to get mine to hit 4.7 however it took a little more voltage to get there, 1.391 and my temps are around the same as yours. Under full load from AIDA64, CPUID Load test and The Division (very CPU intensive game) the temps hit around 58c as well. I'm going to try to bring the Vcore down a little more to see what the lowest is with 100% stability.

Last edited:
OP
turbobooster196

turbobooster196

58c is chilly for these Skylakes. They can handle up to 90c before you need to start worrying. I also was able to get mine to hit 4.7 however it took a little more voltage to get there, 1.391 and my temps are around the same as yours. Under full load from AIDA64, CPUID Load test and The Division (very CPU intensive game) the temps hit around 58c as well. I'm going to try to bring the Vcore down a little more to see what the lowest is with 100% stability.

i know the can handle 90 degrees but i would not feel comfortabel if the hit 80 in game.
under load with prime95 intelburn test i hit 80 under air, and is your voltage on fix or adaptive, do you feel comfortabel leaving that voltage for 24/7 use on fixed mode

Aquaman78

i know the can handle 90 degrees but i would not feel comfortabel if the hit 80 in game.
under load with prime95 intelburn test i hit 80 under air, and is your voltage on fix or adaptive, do you feel comfortabel leaving that voltage for 24/7 use on fixed mode
P95 is a power virus and does not reflect any realistic load your CPU will encounter when gaming or doing any other day to day task. If you are hitting 58 in games now, you shouldn't see much of an increase when the summer months come...unless your ambient temp goes up 20some degrees? The ideal VCore for these chips is anything under 1.42 for the longevity of the CPU, although Intel's datasheet states 1.52v is the max safe operating voltage.
I run mine with a fixed voltage due to adaptive bouncing the voltage up and over 1.5v at times.
Yes, I do feel that anything 1.42v and below is perfectly safe for a 24/7 OC. Heck, I was able to hit 4.8 @ 1.488v and felt safe doing so after reading Intels take on the max safe Vcore. After all, there is a 3 year warranty so my chip can burn in hell for all I care. Haha!

Kenrou

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well, with respect, it doesn't really matter what you feel. The cpu throttles at 100c. Some have seen instability between 90c and 100c. Which is why we say keep it under 90c. Your voltage is also more than fine. Most state to keep it under 1.42V. Anything less than that is you being over conservative.

You don't need to 'worry' (damage to tbe cpu) at 90c. :)

Your temps will rise 1:1 with a change in your room temps. If you have AC, then likely not much. If you dont, well, you still have TONES of headroom.. you cod put your PC in a desert and be ok with how you are managing it. :)

Edit: according to intel AND amd kenrou? :rofl:

Kenrou

ASUS shush you ;) from what i understood is 1.42v air and 1.45v water although there's still a lot of argument over it. 1.42v is a good safe range as ED said.

OptyTrooper

Fixed, always fixed.

OP
turbobooster196

turbobooster196

P95 is a power virus and does not reflect any realistic load your CPU will encounter when gaming or doing any other day to day task. If you are hitting 58 in games now, you shouldn't see much of an increase when the summer months come...unless your ambient temp goes up 20some degrees? The ideal VCore for these chips is anything under 1.42 for the longevity of the CPU, although Intel's datasheet states 1.52v is the max safe operating voltage.
I run mine with a fixed voltage due to adaptive bouncing the voltage up and over 1.5v at times.
Yes, I do feel that anything 1.42v and below is perfectly safe for a 24/7 OC. Heck, I was able to hit 4.8 @ 1.488v and felt safe doing so after reading Intels take on the max safe Vcore. After all, there is a 3 year warranty so my chip can burn in hell for all I care. Haha!

whahaha yes you are wright, warrenty lol

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Its too bad that if you killed it overclocking and raising the voltage, unless you got the extra warranty on the CPU, you shouldn't return something you broke. That isn't how it works (morally).

OP
turbobooster196

turbobooster196

Thanks guys then i stick with 4.7ghz at this voltage at the moment then, on air its high enough and fast enough

Aquaman78

Its too bad that if you killed it overclocking and raising the voltage, unless you got the extra warranty on the CPU, you shouldn't return something you broke. That isn't how it works (morally).

How is it morally wrong if overclocking a chip that is specifically unlocked to be overclocked and ran within the safe parameters specified by Intel? Asus is by far no authority on how or what specifications an Intel chip should run...only Intel has that authority and their datasheet for the Skylake says 1.52v is the maximum safe. So if I run mine 24/7 at 1.488 and it suddenly dies, even though it's cruising along at 60-65c under load, and I RMA the chip, how is this morally wrong?

Kenrou

Any chance you can link the data sheets ? Haven't found one yet that says max voltage and every review site says 1.42v/1.45v :)

Aquaman78

Right, that's the attitude! :) The history of overclocking tells us, if your temps are good and it's stable, then it's a success. I was running mine at 4.8 on 1.488v and the temps weren't exceeding 70c so I knew it was a safe OC. The only risk is electromigration which is going to happen regardless, however if Intel says 1.52v is fine then I would suspect that anything under would be fine for at least the warranty life of the chip. And honestly, 3 years from now, I'll be running on a different/newer chip and look back proudly at what this 6600K could push. ;)