• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 750 ($150) or i7 920 ($200)? Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N3K0

Registered
I am upgrading my system including, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HDD possibly for RAID 1 or 0.

WoW is CPU intensive, but either CPU would probably demolish it. Left 4 Dead 2 is probably more dependent on my GPU anyway. Those are the two main gaming parts that the CPU would be involved with but I am not sure if i5 vs i7 would matter for gaming.

The only other thing that I will be doing is watching movies in 720p some 1080p and encoding movies for my iPod touch and others devices.

My question is $50 worth it for the i7 in my scenario or in general is it worth it just because it is only $50 more for a big performance upgrade? Will getting the i7 also bump up the cost of the MOBO and RAM and if so how much (roughly)?

Side ? // Both of those are at Micro Center. If they offer a warranty is it worth it since I will not be overclocking? Warranty for MOBO need as well if no OC will be done?

Thank you for any help that is given.

Last edited:

Neuromancer

i7 920 has hyper-threading. x58 boards can be had pretty cheap and will support i9 next year :) (no cold bug? OOOO)

Hyper-threading will help in encoding, although at that low a resolution you can probably get by with ATI/nVidia encoding options (GPU based and usually faster) and not be annoyed with the crap quality :)

For watching movies, I would not invest in either i5 or i7 personally. (Maybe i3 dual cores when they arrive) Because again a super cheap video card can handle all the decoding for HD movies.

I guess i5 for your purposes if you want to upgrade and those are your choices :)

I would probably just get a nice cheap AMD quad and drop it in your existing rig.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
i7 will definitely bump up the motherboard price, and the RAM price as well since you'll need three sticks instead of two. I'd figure about $150-$200 more for an i7 rig (mobo, cpu, ram) versus the same for an i5.

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
I think i5 is the best choice since I going to a quad. Neur I did think about dropping in an AMD quad, but I need a new MOBO since my graphics card blocks the SATA ports. Plus I want to set up my old mobo and such in a case for my family.

Any boards that you can recommend for the i5?

Warranty worth it with no OC?

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
So I am guessing that a warranty is not required either?

Neuromancer

Warranty comes with the board, it is through the manufacturer. Some boards have 1 year some 3 year and some lifetime if registered within 30 days of purchase :)

It would be handled through RMA to the manufacturer unless within 30 days of purchase (then you can contact newegg for replacement, which will be much faster :))

I would say the net replacement program is NOT worth it. Since it does not start until manufacturers warrant y has expired, and they do not carry motherboards for that long a time. (by the time the manufacturers warranty is up the board will be EOL anyway)

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
I will probably buy board at a local Fry's since it is closer and no shipping wait time. Just need to figure out RAM type then I will be g2g. 1066, 1333, 1600?? Any opinions?

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
MSI - P55-G65

that is probably the board I will get. Any opinions?

Malakai

Any 3ghz plus quad core is plenty for wow. Any quad at 3.5ghz+ is enough for any game.

IMO go i7 or Phenom II, i5 is too close to a Phenom II in performance to be worth the extra money the mobo costs. 100-115 vs 200 for the i5 mobo.

200 dollar i7-920 is a great deal. For 150 Id be tempted to go i5-750. Just not at full price, for 200 Id rather a C3 965BE and Gigabyte am3 790GX mobo (115).

OP
N3K0

N3K0

Registered
Even though this is Intel forum, how would an AMD Phenom x4 955 or 965 stack up?

Also, i5 vs i7 the no northbridge thing on th i5. What is up with that? Would that affect doing dual gpus later on? SLI would my preference since I would be adding another 9800 gt to my current ridge since online it says my 600w psu could handle it.

jgv115

If you're going SLI then go X58. Even though there might be the slightest of performance decreases it is a decrease and you might find some bottleneck later in life.

It also depends which 600W you have