• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-760 @ 4GHz or FX-8320 @ 4GHz (which one to keep?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

In my sig (current as of this post) are 3 machines. The Intel 6 core is all I really need, but I always have another system running while I am tweaking, gaming, or whatever.

Basically the 3rd system (i5-760) is getting very little use, so it has to go. Before it does, should I sell the AMD processor, motherboard and change it out for the older Intel processor and motherboard?
I will be keeping the 2 graphics cards, HD7850 in crossfire either way

Would I be better off with a i5-760 @ 4GHz or FX-8320 @ 4GHz?

The i5-760 has power of IPC over the FX-8320 and 2x 8 lane PCI-E slots for graphics, but lacks features like USB3 and SATA6

The FX-8320 has bad IPC but 8 cores over the i5-760, has USB3 and SATA6 plenty, but lacks PCI-E which is 1x 16 plus 1x 4 slots for graphics

[COLOR=#5]Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.25GHz ' ASUS P9X79 ' Corsair 32GB DDR3-1666 CL9 ' 2x Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti (SLI) ' Dell U3014 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2]AMD FX-8320 @ 4GHz ' ASUS M5A97 Evo R2.0 ' Kingston 16GB DDR3-1866 ' 2x PCS+ HD7850 2GB (Crossfire) ' Dell U2412HM [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2]Intel Core i5 760 @ 4GHz ' MSI P55-GD65 ' Hynix 8GB DDR3-1600 ' Sapphire R7 280X ' Sony 32" S-PVA [/COLOR]

Not sure why this is up to us, but, as far as speed goes, the AMD CPU should smoke that 760, especially in multi-threaded applications.

I picked up 2x i5-760 both still sealed brand new in box only just a few months ago. I put one in a media centre with a motherboard I got for next to nothing, to replace an old E8400.
The other ended up in my computer room, I brought a second hand MSI P55-GD65 also brand new for cheap and overclocked the i5-760. Seemed to be the better of the two chips, runs 10c lower temperatures at the same voltage which is weird.

I never had anything from this Intel 1st generation, so I really don't know to much about Nehalm from first hand experiences. Although it does respond to overclocking rather well, massive boosts in clocks and memory speed once QPI is clocked around 200MHz.

If I am going to keep the I5-760, I will have to rip out the FX-8320 from a heavily cooled case, where I spent a lot of time cabling nicely. Cant test the i5-760 in the current box with dual graphics cards, power supply is very cheap but holds its only for the current configuration.

Main concern is that the FX-8320 is holding back frame rates for the 2x HD7850 in crossfire, also I am wondering if the FX-8320 is causing so much of the stuttering being more CPU bound and the PCI-E slots not matching with the AMD970 chipset (16x / 4x) where as the P55 chipset is (8x / 8x).

When I look through benchmarks from reviews, appears the FX-8320 even at 4GHz, is a rather lack lustre processor, and there is a good change the i5-760 at 4GHz would kill it.

Just asking here, as there may be someone who has used both, and maybe has some input on what they think of the two.

fwiw the i5-760 is a dual core with hyperthreading, and the fx-8320 is basically a quad core with hyperthreading ahem "8 core", and much faster.

The i5-760 is actually a full native quad core with no HT, and a nice chunk of 8MB level 3 cache, and was released near the end 2010.

The FX-8320 is modular processor. It does have 8 true cores (not logical core like HT) even though each core is full and has it own ALU, the downfall it that each module of 2 cores shares a single FPU. Each of the 4 modules has 2MB of level 2 cache, and nice chuck of 8MB level 3 cache, and was released near the end of 2012.

oops, i was mistaken sorry i had it confused with one of the other i5's that was an i3 pretymuch mis numbered.

and if it had 8 true cores they would each have their own fpu, which is why it performs like a quad core, its ends up being basically the same as hyper threading, because it allows the two modules to share an fpu but you cannot use both modules in a core to their full potential at the same time.
its all a marketing scheme.

but either way depending on what you wanna do.. gaming i5... if your gonna need multiple threads FX

Last edited:
yeah can be confusing, there was only 2 processors that were quads (the i5-760 being the later), like you said all the other i5's they were pretty much the same as the i3.

I don't know, even though the FPU is shared by 2 cores itself, it is still a true 8 core and not logical core. HT cores don't have a real ALU of even any real physical cores on the die. Even though the AMD is not fully a unified 8 core, it does to some extent have 8 cores under the microscope. Pretty much the same reason why the AMD can pull the big numbers with rendering and such.

Just had a thought, thinking of the die photos, the AMD is more like a bunch of 4 castrated dual cores glued together to form a 8 core package. This does not sound very efficient at all. I wonder if this it why it draws so much current?

Will be using for gaming mostly, somewhat reserved if Intel processor can drive AMD crossfire better than AMD own processor and chipset, which then makes it a unified AMD system.

I do have a i5-2400 that just sitting around, although I cannot overclock it as its is on a stock Intel board, can't lock in the turbo at 4 bins higher either, motherboard will not allow it. Wondering if the i5-2400 will be better than the both of them? Problem is the board is mATX, so will not be able to use crossfire.

Will be using for gaming mostly, somewhat reserved if Intel processor can drive AMD crossfire better than AMD own processor and chipset, which then makes it a unified AMD system.
That was a myth... and in fact, some benchmarks have shown that the Intel CPU, being more powerful clock for clock, shows better multi-gpu scaling. ;)

Considering the FX 8320/8350 roughly equals the performance of an i5 2500K at stock, it's clear to say that since the i5 2500K is way faster than the i5 760 than the FX 8320 is also much faster than that lousy i5 760.:drool:

Had the i5-760 clocked at 4GHz, which is pretty fast and a long way away from stock, also was running a 200MHz bclk which boosts the RAM very well. Was bit uncomfortable with the voltage being 1.4v on a Foxconn socket. Also I could run it with way less heat at 3.8GHz at 1.27v.

Forgot I have spare motherboard and CPU sitting around with a i5-2400 that is 3.1GHz stock speed (although does hold turbo on all 4 cores at 3.2GHz), with a bog stock Intel motherboard. Basically just swapped it out the MSI P55-GD65 motherboard where I have the PC, and changed with a Intel DQ67SW motherboard.

Didn't touch the FX-8320, now that I have spent a fair bit of time reading about it. Appears that is direct competition is a i5-3570K, only falling behind just a little, and kicking its butt on multithread apps and some newer games that use more than 4 cores. Also the FX-8320 with AMD 970 chipset is way more featured than the MSI board I had, and is still supported my ASUS.

Basically spent the afternoon rebuilding the i5-760 with MSI P55-GD65 in to another case, then so to sell off.

After all that I have ended up replacing it with a i5-2400. Put on a Evo 212 that was using on the i5-760, and with prime95, max temp is only 55c, and very quiet. I am guessing it would be to far off a overclock i5-760 in actual performance, Sandy Bridge was a pretty big jump and the IMC is much faster than the 1st gen. I use this PC plugged into an Sony LCD TV with S-PVA panel, which has wickedly good deep colours, I use the VGA input at just 1366x768, and does pretty darn well with most setting maxed out, and with that looks great.

Last edited:
Stumbled on a problem, the FX-8320 motherboard on-board sound does not work. I have tried everything to get it working, the rear panel headers are grey out, just keeps telling me that there is nothing plugged in when there is. After 2 days of trying I am certain its not going to work. Warranty is over with this board.
I have even gone as far to add a spare X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card I had no hand, but this cannot start sue to shared resources, and cant get this going either, even if I disable other resources.
I had a independent USB sound bar, but I am getting rid of this (was very weak and high pitched), in favour to clean up my desktop with the official Dell AX510 powered sound extension for my monitors, which perform just where I want them too, for me.

Basically I want to use on-board sound, the AMD platform is broken. The only other motherboard that has support for crossfire is the aged Intel P55 platform.

I did think about buying a motherboard for the i5-2400, or even the i7-3820 that I still haven't sold yet, although had decided not to spend anymore money on the side projects

Would it be still fair to say a i5-760 @ 4GHz will kick butt of the FX-8320 @ 4GHz, appears that Sandy through to Haswell have no problems doing to on 4 cores. I am not find a lot out there on this, as the comparisons are between most an Ivy Bridge and FX-8350 with them both clocked high.

For the record the i5-760 is at these settings, and think at least faster than my stock i5-2400, and the FX-8320

CPU 20x 200 bclk for 4GHz (1.4v)
RAM is at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

Might be able to get the RAM to 2000MHz if I shift over the AMD memory modules to it.

AMD piece of sh*t, or should I say realtek, dam it either way, was forced to remove the AMD motherboard out, none of the rear panel audio jacks were working. It's no fun with no sound.
Think after this experience with the AMD and it's poor efficiency, if I cannot get the motherboard RMA'd then I will never bother AMD again. All I will bother with is their laptop APU's as the graphics are a nice solution.

You did install the drivers for the onboard sound, correct? Or try to resinstall? Does it show in the device manager?

The i5 760 will lose to the FX... it is pretty easy to extrapolate the differences.

Have you made sure that the HDMI drivers from your video card weren't installed. They can cause problems also check the bios settings.

Yeah I spend today, a 3rd day trying to get this to work, believe me I have tried everything. Removed all drivers, even grabbed the official Realtek drivers from their site and tried those too in addition to the Asus drivers, even when as far as installing Windows 7 in addition to Windows 8.1.

Been through the BIOS, checked that the HDMI driver are not interfering. Even pulled out hardware from the system, reset CMOS, and a ton of other stuff.

The only sound I have ever got was a slight popping noise from the speakers during posting/boot.

At the stage accepting that the outputs are faulty, or whatever part that makes the jacks on the back work, likely something to do with the Realtek 892.

Pulled the AMD motherboard out, dropped in the old P55 on exact same video cards and OS, sound worked right away without even trying.

I am doubting that an my FX-8320 @ 4GHz could beat my i5-760 @ 4GHz with a big BCLK overclock. Maybe in something's, likely not others, the i5 probably be faster in most games, which matters the most.

Using the new Cinebench R15, I am seeing that my i5-760 @ 4GHz scores 466 which works out 15% slower than a i5-4670K at stock (3.6GHz 4 core turbo) that scores 552. Pretty much says there isn't much wrong with the IPC. Yeah the FX-8320 would pull higher in Cinebench R15, but I am making a comparison with Intel's newer quads that are also just 4C/4T

I have put in the RAM from the AMD in to the P55 motherboard, and this have gone from 1600MHz to 1800MHz, the i5-760 BCLK can do 225MHz, and with those two combined, it is pulling some huge memory scores in ADIA64. This is up there with the stock FX's and the Ivy Bridge scores, and beating them in about half the benchmarks.

Backed off on the overclock from 4GHz to 3825MHz, and saved 0.1v and about 10c off prime load temps. At the same time have gained memory speed and performance from BCLK.

I am doubting that an my FX-8320 @ 4GHz could beat my i5-760 @ 4GHz with a big BCLK overclock. Maybe in something's, likely not others, with the i5 with faster in probably most games.
You are underestimating the FX you have...and over estimating the importance of memory bandwidth.

The FX will be as fast or much faster than that 760 in most/all cases.

I remain doubtful, I am running the exact same install (Windows 8.1 is good like that), I cannot see anything being slower with change around, if anything the i5 seems more snappy.
There is a great importance that a i5-760 is made to work hard in the memory department, with it being about double the original, it makes a huge difference, as this was where it lack in.
In any case the FX-8320 didn't seem to bad at stock with power usage, but wasn't good, but soon as any overclock is applied, it became a power sucking monster. Mine will not clock over 4GHz stable, so never sees the chance.
If by chance the online retailer takes RMA's the AMD motherboard, as they should, but I know this particular one like to avoid doing that, then I may consider putting the FX-8320 back in.

There is a great importance that a i5-760 is made to work hard in the memory department, with it being about double the original, it makes a huge difference, as this was where it lack in.
Can you explain that a bit more clearly? I am not sure what you are saying there...

Regardless, again, memory bandwidth isn't hugely important as it is not remotely saturated. Its like having a spicket/faucet outside with a 1GPM flow rate and changing the size of the hose expecting more flow... You would only get more flow (data speeds) if the spicket could output more...

Back