• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-760 @ 4GHz or FX-8320 @ 4GHz (which one to keep?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Man that's a ridiculous TDP, and to have to overclock that high, power consumption must be through the roof. Although mine at stock shouldn't be to bad.
I can see where you are coming from with this, but would be highly unlikely that my AMD970 chipset could overclock that high, and not to mention the RAM is only value just manages to overclock somewhat well. Therefore I could never get anywhere close to that.
After looking at the screenshot, I can see my P55 does same write speeds and latency, although little bit off the copy and bit far away from the read.

I have taken the AMD motherboard out of the case, and placed into another case, just with the CPU, and used a different module of memory (single). Attached nothing, and no hard drives, only thing is in the video slot and is a NVidia Quadro with no sound component on-board it.
Booted Windows 8 32bit from USB (plug and go version), and no sound. Then installed official drivers, and no sound.
The headers are permanently grey out, and don't respond to any audio cables.

Basically I cannot use the AMD setup without sound, so pretty much is useless to me at this stage. It even conflicts if I try and put in a add-in sound card, so cannot work around it.

AMD hater. Stick to your Intels and stop the Intel vs. AMD troll. That's all this thread is.

I think it's just a lack of complete understanding of how things work that is driving things here...I do not believe there is trolling intent personally...I've seen way worse go unaddressed. :)

AMD hater. Stick to your Intels and stop the Intel vs. AMD troll. That's all this thread is.

Sorry if you feel that way, but you are mistaken. Feel free to read into whatever you want with it though, that is entirely up to you. A one sentence blank statement does not say much.

Personally I am happy with the AMD setups I have, although I did think one might be faster than that other clock for clock, especially for gaming crossfire due to several other factors for a desktop setup.
I would not likely of taken the AMD motherboard out, if it was not for the failed Realtek supplied audio jacks on the back panel, as there are other features I am not ready to lose just yet. Basically leaves me trying to justify the older Intel setup at this point, now that is all I have to use.

hmmm, if I hate AMD (as you think) that much, why do I still current own and use:

AMD FX-8320 with AMD970 (on hold for now, sound failure)
AMD A10-4600 with 7730M (GCN)
AMD A6-1450 Kabini (Jaguar cores)
AMD 7850 (Crossfire)
AMD 7850 (Crossfire)
AMD R7 280X
AMD 6770
AMD 5770

Also in the house I gave to the kids each an AMD 5770 and an AMD 5750 for their desktop that they are using right now.

Funny that, I must really hate AMD to own all those products and still be using them as of today. Yeah grrrr I hate AMD, hiss arghh, yep I feel like my skin is changing, I starting to morph into a TROLL :rofl:

Eh, that's the way it sounded to me. :shrug:

Sidenote- I'm not a f*ing mind reader to know that you have multiple other AMD systems.

Wasn't intending on spending any extra on anything, but a refurb X79-UP4 came my way for cheap, so just stuck in my old 3820 into and be done with it. Way faster than both of these processors and better motherboard platform, without even breaking a sweat.

When (if) the AMD motherboard comes back from RMA, then likely both will be on light duties from here on in, or be sold for Haswell-E parts :thup:

Can say I enjoyed using the FX-8320, but the poor old i5-760 (actually brand new, was seal box only few months ago) didn't get much of a run.

Can you explain that a bit more clearly? I am not sure what you are saying there...

Regardless, again, memory bandwidth isn't hugely important as it is not remotely saturated. Its like having a spicket/faucet outside with a 1GPM flow rate and changing the size of the hose expecting more flow... You would only get more flow (data speeds) if the spicket could output more...

I guess it depends on the app. but is memory latency more important than bandwidth, at least for gaming?

I guess it depends on the app. but is memory latency more important than bandwidth, at least for gaming?
Honestly, neither are terribly important. You(many others) put WAY too much stock in ram speed doing anything tangible over 1600/1866 CL9 speeds at 1080p resolutions and above for discrete GPUs (gaming). It can help in some apps, not the majority though it seems.

Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/...-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/14

Keep in mind that is with iGPU (shows better results than with discrete). Most apps do not respond terribly well. This is why I usually recommend 1600/1866 CL9 memory as getting anything faster costs more for even less returns.

I wouldn't think there is much of a difference. Outside of benchmarks, I don't see much of a difference between stock and over clocks. 800mhz 6-6-6, 900mhz 7-7-7, 1000mhz 8-7-8, 1066 9-9-9, 1T 2T, it pretty much all feels the same..

You would think w/the rise in multi-threaded, multi-process apps memory bandwidth requirements would increase. I've noticed even Fallout 3 has 27 to 30 threads going at any one time, although I'm not sure if a thread means the same thing in the Windoze paradigm as it does in *ix.

There is a rise... sure, from nothing to a bit of something. It is not close to saturating the market though.

Not sure whaat "*ix" is... but Fallout doesn't use 27 CPU threads.

There is a rise... sure, from nothing to a bit of something. It is not close to saturating the market though.

Not sure whaat "*ix" is... but Fallout doesn't use 27 CPU threads.

I should've said Fallout 3. When I looked at the Fallout 3 process in Windoze 7 it said it was using 27 "threads".

I didn't expect I'd ever come across an IT professional who didn't know what
"*ix" stood for.

FO/FO3, doesn't matter. It is not using 27 CPU threads in windows if they were available. There may be 27 threads to process but it would only be using what the coding allowed it for AFAIK...3DMark applications spawn a shed load of threads as well, but in most cases, it only processes on a couple of cores, depending on the benchmark.

Im a Mainframer and Data Center Designer mags... not a Sys Admin for Windows/OSystems... and you still didn't say what *ix stands for unless that is some jacked up way to say Linux or any other open source software...? (Im thinking its like your rarely used, but still correct GiB thing, LOL!)

FO/FO3, doesn't matter. It is not using 27 CPU threads in windows if they were available. There may be 27 threads to process but it would only be using what the coding allowed it for AFAIK...3DMark applications spawn a shed load of threads as well, but in most cases, it only processes on a couple of cores, depending on the benchmark.

Im a Mainframer and Data Center Designer mags... not a Sys Admin for Windows/OSystems... and you still didn't say what *ix stands for unless that is some jacked up way to say Linux or any other open source software...? (Im thinking its like your rarely used, but still correct GiB thing, LOL!)

This is all I've got for *ix:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix-like

But where I currently work, it's used to refer to the Linux/Unix paradigm.

Maybe I misread what Windoze 7 Task Manager was saying, but I thought I read that fallout3.exe was using 27 threads.

Sorry if I pissed you off ED.

You didn't **** me off.

Task manager shows active tasks, not core assignments. Just because there are xx iterations of a task, does not mean each one is assigned to a specific core/thread.

Back again, revolving around 3 motherboards at last point. Then back down to one, due to two being faulty, which basically gave me no choice but to use the i5-760

Although the refurb X79-UP4 that I received had a DOA dimm slot, this has been returned with no replacement offered.

Good news is, the online store was pretty good about the RMA with the AMD Asus M5A97 Evo R2 being broken, even though I didn't expect them to honour the warranty after 1 year (they have a 12 months policy regardless of warranty period).
I will be getting a new replacement Asus M5A97 Evo R2 tomorrow.

I found some interesting numbers about the FX-8320 over at Tek Syndicate showing on par with an Ivy 3770K. If that is the case, I think using the FX-8320 over the i5-760 both running at 4GHz will be better.

The i5-760 is in place right now, still wondering if I should drop the i5-760 and go back to the FX-8320. Keep in mind with the Intel that I now have x8/x8 crossfire setup and will be downgrading to an AMD crossfire setup of x16/x4 using the 2x HD7850 cards that I own.

Back