• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-7600K vs i7-7700K + HT questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All true. Personally, I like to delid simply because it lowers the operating temperature of an overclocked CPU considerably, even if technically the max temps were in safe range before. It just seems logical to me to allow electronics to run as cool as possible. And the likelihood of having to use the warranty on a CPU is very slim. Technically, overclocking would void the warranty anyway. Seldom do they have problems. And once you buy the tool you have it for future delidding projects.

Its tough to fight that logical feeling cooler is better, no doubt.

But for entire overclocking life, like 15 years now, ive trusted what the specs say and ran a bit under them to no detriment while highly overclocked. It feels illogical, to me, to run lower temps for giggles. Its all up to what the user deems imporant to them, regardless if it matters or not on a technical level. Oh well, i digress. :)

I have pretty much always used more Vcore then recommended , still have yet to kill a CPU with long term overvoltage , because I keep the temps inline .

Encoding, gaming, streaming... long term...

I'd go with a 6 cores Skylake X 7800X: they overclock pretty well on air (4.5GHz+ seems the norm on the Skylake X CPU's).

A little bit more expensive than the 7700K, and a X299 Mobo will be around $100 more than its Z270 counterparts (the Gigabyte Gaming 3 looks pretty decent for the price) but with 6 cores+HT, you should be covered for some years!

I think it is worth it to add a couple of hundreds on a rig that will last that long (40 bucks per year for 5 years)...

My 2 cents though...

I don't delid because the i5 7600k at 4.6GHz with air cooling is more than I need for gaming with a GTX 1070. I have the perfect gaming CPU temperatures at 70c. Only when I run prime95 does it go up to 94c and I only experiment with that few times a week.:D I just don't see CPU's failing do to heat within Intel's specifications.

I agree with ED here. I would not say the 7600k typically overclocks higher than the 7700k as long as there is sufficient cooling.

- - - Updated - - -
Meh, I disagree. All the overclocking threads and reviews I've read (which are many) consistently show the 7700k lagging behind the 7600k by about 200 Mhz. on average. If you're willing to push your CPU hard, you can get 5 GHz out of pretty much any 7600k. However, to break into 5 Ghz with the 7700k you're going to crest 1.4vcore which is too high for 24/7. For 5.1 you might even need 1.5vcore, and that's if it's even possible to get it stable at any voltage.

For max single core performance, I'd say the 7600k has better potential in terms of raw clock speeds.

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/intel-core-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-review/8/

Meh, I disagree. All the overclocking threads and reviews I've read (which are many) consistently show the 7700k lagging behind the 7600k by about 200 Mhz. on average. If you're willing to push your CPU hard, you can get 5 GHz out of pretty much any 7600k. However, to break into 5 Ghz with the 7700k you're going to crest 1.4vcore which is too high for 24/7. For 5.1 you might even need 1.5vcore, and that's if it's even possible to get it stable at any voltage.

For max single core performance, I'd say the 7600k has better potential in terms of raw clock speeds.

Just depends on the luck of the draw. Both the i7 7700k and i5 7600k come from the same 14nm+ process nodes. My i5 7600k needs 1.224v for 4.6 GHz.:(

14nm+.jpg

Thought i linked hwbot....if not, go check (i looked before my previous post). Also, have a look at silicon lottery and see where they are binning these cpus. Youll see both 7600k amd 7700k topped out at 5.2ghz.

The difference between the two really isnt much. A decent 2x120mm aio will get you there with the vast majority of 7700k.

I went with the 7700K over the 7600K. Yeah I know the 7600K was $150 cheaper, but I wanted HT because of the better performance. Was the price difference worth it to me? Yup it was. No regrets :)

Even though max clock for 7600K and 7700K is about the same then at least just after release 7700K were overclocking better. I mean most 7700K could make 5GHz ~1.30-1.35V while most 7600K needed ~1.35V+. Maybe it has changed with newer batches. I wasn't following KL OC in last weeks/months. On the forums most users only complain about temps and that they need to delid KL so reading most threads seems like waste of time.

Another argument for delidding is that if things get dustcaked enough through negligence, the delid can mean the difference between a 24/7 OC being viable or not. I've seen temps go up on a big heatsink enough to compensate for a delid on my current system, with extreme dust caking. When maintaining a max 24/7 stable OC with a good amount of extra vcore, it really helps to have a much bigger buffer zone when it comes to temperatures, especially if you like 80°F ambient temps like I do. I've had this system OCed to the max for a decade, and the delid is the only thing that prevented overheating in some instances. Yes I have been quite lazy about dusting it out ;)

Delidding is not required while using proper cooling. Too high temps are mainly caused by overvoltage or not good enough cooler. If CPU is overheating while using cooler designed for its TDP then you can make RMA. If you get CPU that won't meet its specs and is clearly overheating then you can make RMA. Safe temps are up to 90°C+ and you have 3 year warranty for that. Delidding is user's choice but is not required.
No matter how users see ~90°C, it's safe temp. Some components run at higher and some at lower temps. For some 60°C is overheating, for some 100°C+.

We could talk about delidding if all were taking a part in competitive benchmarking or anything like that. At home barely anyone sees difference above ~4.2GHz but somehow many users want to have 5GHz just for the numbers.

Really some people should buy computers like they buy TV or refrigerators and stop dig too much in specs. Less you know then happier you are. More you know and you see problems everywhere ...

Another argument for delidding is that if things get dustcaked enough through negligence, the delid can mean the difference between a 24/7 OC being viable or not. I've seen temps go up on a big heatsink enough to compensate for a delid on my current system, with extreme dust caking. When maintaining a max 24/7 stable OC with a good amount of extra vcore, it really helps to have a much bigger buffer zone when it comes to temperatures, especially if you like 80°F ambient temps like I do. I've had this system OCed to the max for a decade, and the delid is the only thing that prevented overheating in some instances. Yes I have been quite lazy about dusting it out ;)
That would happen with a delid or not obviously. Most enthusiasts push to the limit either way, so, same difference there.

Clean your systems more frequently if you are seeing 10c+ drops due to dust...

Delid only useful for benchers IMO.

The extra (couple of) hundred MHz you can squeeze thanks to it is totally irrelevant in all other cases. It means a 3 to 5% increase, which is not noticeable, whatever use you make of your computer...

My 2 cents though...

on my 7700K I see 100MHz higher max OC after delidding and ~12°C lower temps using kryonaut TIM ... so it's 5.2GHz vs 5.3GHz for benching on water ... when I will never run more than ~4.8GHz 24/7 and probably not even more than 4.5GHz in any near future ... what's more ... probably it will never be in my daily PC and KL will retire as benching platform or I will sell it

Despite running into some budgeting issues I ended up choosing the 7700K. After pouring over comparative benchmarks it was obvious that I would be sacrificing too much in the long term for at best $100 in savings. The 7700K combines the highest single thread performance with as many cores+threads as possible at that tier, and does it for only ~$330. Going up in cores even on the Intel flagships tanks single thread potential, but HT helps compensate for lack of cores as best as can be done.

The performance difference in many newer games with HT was not only dramatic in FPS, but also in minimizing FPS droop and frame delay peaks. While I don't care about that YET, it is clear this difference WILL be large in many applications over time that I use. And it's always great to have extra headroom when multitasking.

My 7700k is sitting in a box here already. Waiting for rest of goodies to arrive :D

One thing which may or may not matter for HT, is that I do plan on having a lot of RAM, I guess 64 GB is the max for this platform, and having lots of stuff running at once, mostly for convenience. Dozens of browser tabs, possibly lots of which contain video and typical severely bloated websites.

Late to this party, but 64 GB of RAM? Below is my RAM usage with 21 tabs open across two browsers. Lower left corner indicates 96 processes at the time of the snip.

RAM use.JPG

Back