• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 3770k + Gigabyte z68xp-ud3p - Stability issues stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScaV

Hello, I have problems with my z68xp-ud3p and i7 3770k.

- The problem is that the PC will freeze up, no bluescreen
- It freezes even after a cmos reset, and setting everything to default settings.

-My ram is HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3 1867 - Tested with 8GB in Each slot - Also tested with Mushkin 4GB DDR3 1333hz
-Tested fixing ram to 1600/1866/1867
-Tested without GPU [GTX670]
-Tested to see if there is any shorting on the motherboard
-Tested without 2TB HDD
-Cooler is H80i - At max load it was ~75deg on Overclock tested with realtemp and prime95

Bios is UEFI U1g

Really going crazy right now - Put everything back with my old asus P8B75-v Everything works...

Any tips ? Thinking about taking it into a shop so that they can test it. Previous owner had a i7-2600K everything was working for him with/without overclocking.

Rainwater

Well I had that exact same Gigabyte motherboard and a 2600k. z68 is a Sandy Bridge chipset so you will need a bios update to make it compatible with Ivy Bridge. Have you gotten the Bios update for it? If I recall correctly, Gigabyte put out one update for Ivy Bridge compatibility for that motherboard and that was it. No later updates to improve stability or anything like that. I never had an Ivy in that motherboard, only the 2600k so I couldn't tell you how stable that Bios version was but I do know with z68 You do need an update for Ivy Bridge.

Another thing with that motherboard was I needed a crazy amount of voltage just for a 4.5 Ghz overclock. I literally needed 1.445v for a stable 4.5 Ghz overclock. I know you said even with default settings if freezes, maybe make sure it's getting enough voltage.

Last edited:
OP
S

ScaV

Upgraded to UEFI U1g, previous version was F7, F7 didn't allow for overclocking so as soon as I've got the board I updated the bios

OP
S

ScaV

Sometimes i could go for hours while gaming (5 hours actually on DOOM), sometimes it would freeze up a few minutes after boot when browsing the web....

Rainwater

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if possibly Windows was able to Identify any errors? I would imagine it would be either a voltage issue or a driver issue. Even possibly a memory issue. And you are on default settings? You mentioned you put everything back into your Asus mobo and everything worked just fine. So does that mean when you put the Cpu etc. into the z68 did you as well use the OS from the Asus or did you do a fresh install? Have you gotten Drivers for the z68 board? I have had a freezing issue a few months back when I took an ssd out of a Lenovo laptop and put it into an Asus board without doing a fresh install.

OP
S

ScaV

Fresh install, event viewer just shown standard windows did not shut down correctly errors nothing else before the crash...

Now after further inspection of the board I've found bent pins....could this have been the issue ???

media-share-0-02-05-2d77b94e86630c72acdf4b6cbd50e8da00ddbd3c2165cd8c71d3cf23ba11883b-68629927-16.jpg media-share-0-02-05-ea30beeac742f37c188ac70cbe787da642151d40078f6a6ac0e4a1c9b628980b-54b1e8a1-26.jpg

Rainwater

It very well may idk. Either take it in and have them repaired of try and do it yourself. Youtube it I'm sure there will be some videos with people repairing them left and right from home.

OP
S

ScaV

I'm actually going to try to get the guy who sold it to me to give me back the money.... if that doesn't work out i'm taking it in to try and get it fixed....

Will post an update on what happens, right now I'm scouting a p8z77-v lx for 90euro...seems like an okish price since these boards are not produced anymore...

Rainwater

Ya there are videos all over you tube demonstrating fixing bent pins. Since you have another motherboard and since it's older and not a very expensive board I personally would try and repair them myself but I am not going to tell you that is what you should do. But I would definitely at least watch some videos and see what is in store if you did try because as far as I know having bent socket pins can cause issues.

Or do that yes. Hopefully it works out for you. I do know 100 percent that they can be repaired But I have never done so myself.

OP
S

ScaV

Yeah I know, saw tons of vids right now...tho until i get a reply from him I'm not touching anything...

Thank you!

trents

Looks like just maybe one pin is bent. I think it's doable. I've seen a lot, lot worse.

dejo

Senior Moment Senior Member
I had issues with that exact same board once I moved to the uefi bios, went back to the old bios and all was fine.

Rainwater

Same here. I upgraded to that uefi bios and two weeks later one day when I turned my PC on it said no bios has been found and it had to like pull the file from the recovery bios which i think was f6 and that's what I used. But I think he has to have the uefi to run his Ivy Bridge Cpu in it.

OP
S

ScaV

Bent the pin back, all works great, still yet to freeze running with OC...1 single pin and all hell breaks loose. Seriously thought this PC would just kill me after even dreaming of repairing that thing....and now everything is perfect.

Rainwater

Nice man, I'm glad you went the extra mile and took your Cpu out of the socket and checked. Some may have over looked that. I would have surely tried and repaired it myself too so I'm glad to hear it worked out so well.