• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K CPU dead, what to buy next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello lads,

So my i7 4790K died and I'm gonna have to replace it with something (see my signature for the other current components). There are a few routes I can take. Please bear in mind that all I do on my PC is use simple programs like Office, watch blu-ray movies and play games like CS:GO. I do like everything that I use to boot up and start up fast though, which is why I rather invest in a pretty fast PC every now and then that is probably above my needs so that I don't have to upgrade every few years but not worry about upgrading for 5-6 years straight, which is what I would have done if my chip didn't die.

Option #1: I could buy a cheap chip (probably i5-4460) for this socket to bide my time with it until the Cannon Lake chips are released in a year or whatever and then buy a whole new PC. New motherboard, new cannon lake line chip, four DDR4 sticks, new SSD etc. The downside is that I'll pay about 200 dollars for a chip that is slower that what I'm used to and will only use for a year. The upside is longevity because I can probably go on for years and years with a new chip like cannon lake because I don't require that strong of a PC.

Option #2: I could wait for the Coffee Lake chips to be released but I read conflicting reports on its release date. Some say it comes out on the 5th of October which would make it a viable option but I need something within a maximum of two weeks. Maybe one of you guys have more information on its actual release date?

Let me know what you guys think.

Regards,

Baris

You sure its the chip ? CPUs are hard to kill MB and ram are easy

I had a boot loop issue for a few months and I tried my setup on a different motherboard and it still didn't work. Then I delivered it to a shop and they did all kinds of tests, all RAM sticks working fine, it doesn't boot but as soon as they take my chip out and put another chip in it works fine (on the same motherboard obviously).

There is a good deal on newegg: 7700k@$309. it ends tomorrow I believe...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117726&cm_re=7700k-_-19-117-726-_-Product

Edit: Ik heb the nederland niet gezien ;)

He would need to upgrade his RAM to DDR4 if he takes this route.

By far, the biggest factor in boot time and program load time is the drive and since you already are using an SSD, going with a less powerful socket 1150 i5 CPU won't have a lot of impact. Personally, because of the fact that current generation CPUs are now on the DDR4 platform It might be time for a major upgrade. I would go with the 7700k and not wait for newer chips to come out. First of all, there probably will be very little real world performance differential between Skylake and Coffee Lake. Second, there will likely be early adopter headaches with Coffee Lake that may not get ironed out for a few months until bioses catch up.

There is also the option of Ryzen.

He would need to upgrade his RAM to DDR4 if he takes this route.

By far, the biggest factor in boot time and program load time is the drive and since you already are using an SSD, going with a less powerful socket 1150 i5 CPU won't have a lot of impact. Personally, because of the fact that current generation CPUs are now on the DDR4 platform It might be time for a major upgrade. I would go with the 7700k and not wait for newer chips to come out. First of all, there probably will be very little real world performance differential between Skylake and Coffee Lake. Second, there will likely be early adopter headaches with Coffee Lake that may not get ironed out for a few months until bioses catch up.

There is also the option of Ryzen.

Thank you for your reply.

Is the 7700K with the DDR4 RAM that comes with it that big of an upgrade from what I had?

Also, how much of a step up is the SSD I currently have to one of those M.2 ones. The read and write speeds are like 6 times faster, does that also mean boot times etc. are that much faster?

Boot times will be noticeably faster with a M.2 nvme, which is the Pcie version of m.2. With a regular m.2 there will be no difference because it still uses the SATA interface which is the limiter.

The 7700k with DDR4 will not be noticeably faster than what you have now. Actually, nothing will be noticeably faster than what you have now given your stated uses. And nothing in the near future will be either. But you don't want to go down in performance either by going to a lesser CPU on the DDR3 platform unless budget is a limiting factor.

sheeez! just replace the cpu, I'm still on z97 and have no reason to change anytime soon, you can still find 4790K's, check bhphoto, or what ever it is, I was looking the other day and I think they were the cheapest.

sheeez! just replace the cpu, I'm still on z97 and have no reason to change anytime soon, you can still find 4790K's, check bhphoto, or what ever it is, I was looking the other day and I think they were the cheapest.

+1
Even a i5 will handle your work load

Thank you all for your replies. In The Netherlands however, the 4790K is now about 70$ more expensive than the 7700K. It is by far not the cheapest. It's either go down to an i5 or go up.

I've now kind of made up my mind now that I will upgrade to either a 7700K or a 8700K IF they really come out this Thursday.

What about a 1150 Xeon chip? As long as you have a GPU, these will work fine.

Check out the "Little Folder" in my signature...it's my main house server, and the chip runs at 3.6 Ghz...and was in the $200 range when I bought it a few years ago!

Ryzen 3 would be a good bet for you. The 1300X is only $130 and is pretty much equivalent to the Haswell i5 range.

Back