• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790K OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp00kY

I just picked up a i7 4790K and have been working on overclocking it. I have a stable (so far, 1 hour stress in AIDA64) running 4.6ghz on all cores at 1.312v.

From what I have researched, 1.312v is a pretty safe voltage level for this chip. However, I thought maybe I could try dropping it down a little bit (although probably won't go much lower) until it is unstable.

Problem is on my motherboard, if I set it to ANYTHING (tried 1.25, 1.3, etc) it automatically ramps up to 1.312v when AIDA64 is running.

I have tried both the adaptive and auto core voltage settings in the BIOS but regardless it still tops out at 1.312v when stressing. I obviously don't want to leave this on override mode as I don't want my voltage constantly running that high.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you guys in advance.

Here are my specs and temperatures I was able to obtain:

Intel i7 4790K @ 4.6ghz (all cores) 1.312v peak.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO / Arctic Silver 5 TP
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard (latest BIOS and chipset installed)
8GB (2x4gb) G Skill DDR3 1600 (dual channel, XMP profile enabled)

AIDA64 Stability Test
Btn1CQc.png

Your average is 1.292 which seems in line with what you set in bios. Maximum could be a very short burst which most chips will experience.
Without a fixed vcore you have to accept it can shoot up and down for a brief instant.
If I run p95 my vcore will sit around 1.290 most of the time, monitored by cpuz. If I run a game however, the vcore will shoot to 1.325.
Same can be experienced with running prime blend or small fft's, there will be a vcore difference between both tests.
Anyway, better to use msi AB with its ingame display of temps and voltages, or cpuz for desktop benches.

Back