• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790k performance issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dont wanna be a stickler but why chance it on that board, im sure you can get a used z87/97 class board for that proc on the cheap and possibly even oc a bit...

ill give you some advice i wish someone gave me when i was younger and you take it as you please... :)

whenever you have a chance to move from proprietary stuff, do so... there are new modern cases for <50$ that do wonders, prolly could fish out a decent one for 20$ used, possibly less... that optiplex case is also cramped (all i see is SFF type of that model, if theres a tower variant then i cant find it) and limited on cooling, i see your one core as is hitting 81C right now, it is very possible that you will also hit thermal constrains at 4.4Ghz and proper voltage and then you possibly wont be able to install any other cooling solution... integrated machines are what they are, usually not too upgradeable because you run into stuff like this and they are ment as an appliance and usually its the best to treat as such, buy, use and sell as a unit...

im telling you this because i also got stuck with my old packard bell pentium back in the day that had a lot of proprietary stuff i had to work around... i also "didnt have the money for a proper build" but on the end when i recalculated how much money and effort i put into that computer to make it work and how much i actually got out of it, wasnt worth it... the money and time could have easily bought me a used non proprietary modern pc that would be much better performing and easier to work with...

The second I get some money, I'm buying a new MB, case, CPU, and RAM. Its just that will be upwards of $500 for all that if I want good parts, and atm I'm just trying to make do with my current hardware until I have the money saved for a rebuild.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Also I got my current 3020 and the i7-4790k for free, the only thing I have paid for is the GPU and the PSU, which are both parts that I will be using in a new PC when I build it.

With the Core i7 4790K rating being at 4.0 Ghz, IIRC, I don't see it going much lower than that, looks like the same kind of "CPU core frequency dancing" that my FX 8350 had. My FX 8350 system would show stuff like 3.9 and back to 4.0, such as "3990 Mhz", for example.

And remember than Haswell didn't even use as much watts as Vishera did, so you hardly needed VRMs in comparison. This isn't Bloomfield we're talking about, where those would require major VRMs! Wonder if they cheaped out so Dell only supports a 4770 on that motherboard?

Last edited:
Got the 9020mb, didn't fix the issue, and on top of that, I also now have to buy new front case IO (different connectors for 9020 and 3020), front case cover, and rear fan.

It would be less money to just buy a generic case and 1150mb thats guaranteed to work with my CPU, so I'm just gonna do that.

Do you guys know any cheap 1150 motherboards that have VRMs good enough to run my i7-4790k?

sorry to hear that buddy but now you understand the advice i sent your way ;)

tbh any z97 (and prolly z87) mobo should be good, they all should support full range of 4XXX processors... i can give you a personal recommendation for asus sabertooth series from that period since i had one and it still works strong, 24/7 overclocked, hope that helps...

Alright, thanks dude.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I'm also going to get a new cooler, do you know any good coolers for i7-4790k that will allow overclocking?

wow, yeah, they seem to hold the price, almost all ebay entries are $100+, jeez... does anyone even buy em at those prices, you could get B450 cheaper (new)...

dunno what to tell ya man, i honestly thought z97 is gonna be a lot cheaper... maybe message some sellers and try to negotiate a better price, it might be that theres a trend of pricing those high but no one sells them actually and will be willing to go lower if you ask...

Check out some forums. I had my P8Z77-V commit suicide a few months ago while I was saving for a newer car.. I looked at retail sites, and saw some in the 150USD range.. I logged in here and was able to find my current board at a price I could not refuse. Now my system has a new lease on life and I don't have to shell out for a new rig, not that it would be a bad thing, just an expense I don't need right now.

for z-97 there are A whole raft of good boards.
what I have around and use.
asrock z97 extreme 4, 6 and 9
asrock z-97 overclock formula
asrock Z97E ITX/AC

asrock extreme 4 or 6 would suit you, the extreme9 does sli at 16x16 with your cpu because of the plex chip, it's way more than you will need.
check the extreme 4 and 6 for features you might like.
if you are going extreme overclocking and sub ambient cooling, the oc formula is awesome.
If you are not going with big cooling the z97E itx is A wonderful, cute, tiny board, I use it in my daily driver with A 4570s.

Got the 9020mb, didn't fix the issue, and on top of that, I also now have to buy new front case IO (different connectors for 9020 and 3020), front case cover, and rear fan.

It would be less money to just buy a generic case and 1150mb thats guaranteed to work with my CPU, so I'm just gonna do that.

Do you guys know any cheap 1150 motherboards that have VRMs good enough to run my i7-4790k?

I was afraid of that connector incompatibility issue. That's why I brought it up. Been there done that. But you can always splice the wire harness coming from the old case into the front panel harness of the new case. I've had to do that on a number of occasions but decided it's not worth the time it takes so I don't buy proprietary motherboards anymore.

I ended up buying a Gigabyte z97 motherboard for $50 on ebay, I also got a new case

Back