• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790K + VII Hero, Temp readings between AIDA64 & HWiNFO64 - Which is correct?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Morbid

Nitpicker
i7-4790K + VII Hero, Temp readings between AIDA64 & HWiNFO64 - Which is correct?

I'm not sure of a better place to ask this question so I thought I'd ask here.

Can anyone clarify for me which of these should be more accurate? I'm seeing a ~10c discrepancy between them as seen here:

OP
M

Morbid

Nitpicker
What does realtemp or coretemp say?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been away from this scene for a while and didn't know which ones were good anymore.

Looks like AIDA is the odd man out and shouldn't be monitored. Compared with HWiNFO, RealTemp, and CoreTemp - all three of which were within 1-2c of each other.

Not sure how I feel about 70C at stock settings with a 212 EVO, AS3, and Noctua NF-F12. Maybe it's average, not sure, but I'll probably be looking into all the nifty new water cooling options out there now (no longer have to piece it together yourself, what a time to be alive.)

OP
M

Morbid

Nitpicker
are these temps while running aida64 or some other program?

Yes, it's at full load running AIDA64 FPU Stress. I know it's well under 90C but I guess I didn't realize how hot these chips ran stock. I figured it would be closer to the AIDA temperature reading honestly.

That's with an ambient case temperature of around 28C, where the CPU will also settle after a long idle duration.

Maybe I need to redo my thermal paste and re-seat the cooler. I've already cleaned it of dust recently when putting the Noctua's in a couple of weeks ago.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
What vcore is your system pushing when under load. Some of these boards will push way more voltage than necessary when left on auto.

OP
M

Morbid

Nitpicker
So I was just having another look and noticed that I was running at 4GHz the entire time (no turbo boost to 4.4) -- If I enabled turbo boost, it would hit 99C because I was on auto voltage where it would go to 1.25+

I went back into the BIOS and set manual CPU voltage to 1.1 and multi to 44. Now it's hitting 78-80C.