• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4790k vs i7 6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perx

Without an Overclock which is better performance wise for single tasks(such as playing csgo) and with an overclock (cooled by a bequiet shadow rock 2) which would be better? Sorry for the vagueness of this question, i'm new to the forums and have only built one pc before, but any help would be appreciated, as I am looking into buying one of these processors. Also, just thought I should note, I WILL NOT be using the integrated graphics with the 6700k.

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Well over all by a small margin the 6700K would be better but only the 4790K will work in that board (6700K uses the 1151 socket Z170 chipset)

yup, that board will not run the 6700k, but it's no big deal, you'll use cheaper ddr3 ram.

but here is a link to compare anyway>>>> http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/588/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4790K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-6700K.html

well would it be worth it to get the 6700k, ddr4 ram and a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard? I have not purchased the motherboard yet, so I could still switch to a LGA1151 socket board.

- - - Updated - - -

Well over all by a small margin the 6700K would be better but only the 4790K will work in that board (6700K uses the 1151 socket Z170 chipset)

well would it be worth it to get the 6700k, ddr4 ram and a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard? I have not purchased the motherboard yet, so I could still switch to a LGA1151 socket board.

If you can afford it I'd go for the 6700K since the 1150 socket is now a dead platform. In reality they will both perform pretty evenly in real world useage.

If i was to get the i7 4790k, i would only have to spend like $490 TOTAL(processor, cooler and new MB) but for the skylake I would have to spend $590 TOTAL(Processor, MB, RAM and Cooler) so what would be worth it or is it really just preference if whether or not I want to upgrade?

- - - Updated - - -

If you can afford it I'd go for the 6700K since the 1150 socket is now a dead platform. In reality they will both perform pretty evenly in real world useage.

ok thanks, then I think i will just save up for a whole new build but keep my gpu, case and fans

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone know how much I would be able to overclock a 6700k with a CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler?

it really depends on what you want to do for the next upgrade.
4790K performs so close to 6700k i will not upgrade to the 6700k, I'm all ready in and no "real" upgrade path.
if you tend to buy and hold, get a 4790K rig and smile, you're at the top of the heap.
if you like to upgrade a lot, go 6700K.
instead of upgrading i just buy some cpu's now and then and play with them, I hunt down a better one and when i find a better one i hunt some more.
I have a top of the heap I-7, I-5 and now it's a hunt for a top of the heap I-3.

Back