• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700 vs 6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coolydudey60

Registered
Hey guys, long time no see!

Last time I posted here was when I was looking for help regarding an i7 920 rig I built a few years ago. The time has finally come to upgrade and I've settled on a new skylake i7. Now, I've heard that with Skylake, BCLK overclocking is once again a possibility. I read around that a bit and people said it would be easier to go for a K chip nonetheless. However, back in the i7 920 days, there was no such thing as an unlocked multiplier, and I only have BLCK overclocking experience anyway. So should I shell out the extra cash to get the unlocked K processor or just go for the non-K?

EDIT: whoops about the title, meant 6700 of course

Thanks,
cooly

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
What's the system being used for?
If you plan to overclock at all then get the K version.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Agreed with ATM, if you plan to overclock, get the K version.

Also, fixed your thread title for you.

tachi1247

Bclk overclocking on Skylake is somsomething the manufacturers are saying is possible but I haven't seen too many people on here actually doing it. My guess is that it will be far more dependent on the individual chip compared to the k processors. It will probably be a lot easier for the average enthusiast to get a 20-30% oc on a k processors via the multiplier rather than attempt to achieve those same results via bclk.

As everyone above stated, just buy the k processor if you plan to do any overclocking.

wingman99

bclk overclocking on a non k CPU only works on certain modded bios and boards also it's only by a multiplier because the buss speed is tied to it..

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
also it's only by a multiplier because the buss speed is tied to it..
Please explain a bit...

If I understood you correctly, you are essentially describing X99 and how its bclk works. Skylake is freewheeling all the way, no multipliers...

wingman99

Well the skylake buss would have to work like the x99 if the only thing changed is the bios mod.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well the skylake buss would have to work like the x99 if the only thing changed is the bios mod.
No it wouldn't, they are two different chips. One, Haswell-E, has very little BCLK headroom but uses multipliers/straps to reach high BCLK (but around those straps is still the same 1-5 BCLK headroom so 120-130, 160-171, etc, while the other, Skylake, again, does NOT have multipliers/straps for BCLK, it is free to roam wherever without the use of multipliers/straps.

Check out our review on the front page which describes how Skylake BCLK works. :)

wingman99

Thanks for the lilnk Earthdog you could of just said the new skylake CPU BCLK is not tide to the buss it's new Architecture. My 2500k BCLK is free to roam it sounded kind of confusing to me.:)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sorry you couldn't make the leap wingy... I will break it down more clearly out of the gate next time. :)

Side note: 2500K isn't free to roam either as it is attached to the bus (one "s"). With SB/IB/Haswell, you had very little headroom (1-5 BCLK give or take). Haswell-E brought the gearing/multipliers. Skylake brought back no multipliers and 'unlimited' BCLK.