• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 6700k how fast should it be OC'd on a daily basis? noob OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I recently finished building a new system, and I have a couple of noob overclocking questions.

-How fast should I have my chip overclocked for normal daily use?

-Should I overclock my RAM? It's sold as 3000Mhz speed, but I currently have it running at 3200 Mhz

-What is the fastest speed I can safely overclock my 6700k?

-Should I overclock my GPU?

Here's a screenshot of my in-game performance @ max settings.
xq768nL.png
My system:
i7 6700k
gtx 1080
32gb dd34 @3000Mhz
2x 950 pro M.2 raid0
msi titanium mobo
kraken x61 cooler

Leegit

That is going to depend on what kinda chip you rolled in the silicon lottery. e.g. when you hit the thermal wall. 4.5GHz is a good 24/7 OC for most users, unless you have high-end cooling or managed to get a golden chip. After that the behavior changes and the 6700k requires more volts per 100 MHz step and that translates to much higher power/heat. I used Prime 95 Small FFT to test this for my chip, you can find them here

A higher base clock for your RAM doesn't necessarily translate into higher performance, you need to balance this with tight sub-timings.

Sidenote: How do you like your Kraken x61? I have the same setup. What voltage do you need for 4.5 GHz OC?

Last edited:

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I recently finished building a new system, and I have a couple of noob overclocking questions.

-How fast should I have my chip overclocked for normal daily use?

-Should I overclock my RAM? It's sold as 3000Mhz speed, but I currently have it running at 3200 Mhz

It's fine where it is as long as it's stable. Gains will be minimal at best with ram OC

-What is the fastest speed I can safely overclock my 6700k?

As fast as you can manage and staying below 90°C and 1.4v same for your first question.

-Should I overclock my GPU?

Sure it's free. You can likely get a few more MHz from the ram and core without adding additional voltage. Just use MSI afterburner. Mover the power slider up to full and experiment once done set it to start with windows.

Here's a screenshot of my in-game performance @ max settings.
View attachment 182613
My system:
i7 6700k
gtx 1080
32gb dd34 @3000Mhz
2x 950 pro M.2 raid0
msi titanium mobo
kraken x61 cooler

wingman99

For your CPU overclcoking you could do some speed test like FPS and see if more clock speed helps, otherwise it it just more wear and tear you don't need.