• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-6700k + Maximus VIII Hero

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Overclocking time !!! finally got my shiny's and want to push it. is there an official Skylake guide yet or ? already learned that we have to keep Turbo on with Intel or he doesn't budge from 4ghz. Which programs to stress test, do i go from low to high on voltage same as AMD or can i start at 1.4v+ and see what i get ?

Leaving it to work overnight, 4.8ghz 1.35v, if its stable in the morning ill up the multi. You think i have a shot at 5ghz ?

4800.jpg

Is that small fft?

Regardless, looks solid so far, I'd say you have an above average chip for sure! Nice!!

Is that small fft?

Blend in 26.6. Noctua fans in Turbo setting in bios, but they're not running full speed, can hear them going up and down. Still chugging away this morning, peak 74c. Going to go for 4.9 a bit later on. Voltage between 1.34v and 1.36v with LLC5.

Ok wasn't expecting that, crash + WHEA errors even on 1.4v when i move up to 4.9ghz, didn't that have something to do with Windows Update ?

Ok so further testing shows me that 4.8 isn't 100% stable as well, been getting lots of watchdog, page fault and whea errors/BSOD. Is my CPU max OC 4.7ghz ? that's a bit of a letdown, especially since he gets there easily at 1.35v, so i'm not thermal capped in any way :( might it be a problem with Windows itself, one of the drivers ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a voltage issue, been at 1.45v and still get errors. Turned off all power savings and speedstep, ran checkdisk and mem386 and everything checked out.

I didn't know they made 3200 ram with such aggressive latencies, and I'd have to wonder if that might be an area to look at more closely. As painful as it might sound, I'd try resetting ram to SPD (2133) and check CPU stability in that case first just to treat them separately.

Blend in 26.6. Noctua fans in Turbo setting in bios, but they're not running full speed, can hear them going up and down. Still chugging away this morning, peak 74c. Going to go for 4.9 a bit later on. Voltage between 1.34v and 1.36v with LLC5.

Ok wasn't expecting that, crash + WHEA errors even on 1.4v when i move up to 4.9ghz, didn't that have something to do with Windows Update ?

Ok so further testing shows me that 4.8 isn't 100% stable as well, been getting lots of watchdog, page fault and whea errors/BSOD. Is my CPU max OC 4.7ghz ? that's a bit of a letdown, especially since he gets there easily at 1.35v, so i'm not thermal capped in any way :( might it be a problem with Windows itself, one of the drivers ?
I would use blend last in your stress testing. Use small FFT to test the CPU only. BLend isn't quite as hard on the CPU and is a memory test for all intents and purposes. I use that last once small FFT passes.

Never heard of a Windows update that limited overclocking..

I assume you set your ram on XMP? WHere is it at?

I didn't know they made 3200 ram with such aggressive latencies, and I'd have to wonder if that might be an area to look at more closely...
Boy, you make a mention of your project in nearly every post Mack! :p

Last edited:
I heard something about windows update or some update through it making whea errors when overclocking, MS always said that it was hardware error, tinfoils always said that it was software error, take from that what you want, supposedly was an uncommon error for W8.1.

16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200mhz 14-14-14-34 XMP - will try llc auto and dropping ram to default separately and will report back :)

Whea error happens usually when there is too low voltage or cache is not stable. Depends from CPU above some point it may require higher voltage steps and it may cause temps to raise. Even if there is max 80*C it can be overheating point at high frequency. There are many factors which can affect stability.
I would play with power options like vrm frequency ( Digi tab ). Maybe set extreme vrm mode or something. Really hard to say what will help.

When you go to LLC Auto, make sure you keep an eye on your load voltage so it matches your previous values.

Are/Were you getting droop to enable LLC? Does level 5 compensate the least for droop while 1 is the most? I can never remember as each mfg is different, LOL!

The voltages he is using level 5 is in left field if the droop on that board is similar the client build I just did using an asus board

When you go to LLC Auto, make sure you keep an eye on your load voltage so it matches your previous values.

Are/Were you getting droop to enable LLC? Does level 5 compensate the least for droop while 1 is the most? I can never remember as each mfg is different, LOL!

On Hero LLC 5 or 6 was working the best for me. I mean stable voltage under load.

Yes it's working like my old Crosshair ultra high LLC, 0.1v max shift high and low, saw it on a Hero VIII review. As it stands manual 1.35v goes as low as 1.344v and as high as 1.36v, it's brilliant :)

I would add some SA voltage offset maybe a bit of IO

1.25 IO/SA and check if memory runs @4000 17-17-17 1.35V :) ... it can be problem on this board but 3733 will be probably stable

Back