• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 6700K OC help and LLC/Voltage calibration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gmanc2

I recently overclocked my CPU I stress tested and I appear to be stable but I'm not sure if Im jeopardizing my CPU because of my voltage my specs

I7 6700k

gigabyte z170X-GAMING 7

And my BIOS settings are as follows

LLC Set to HIGH

1.360 Vcore

And

46x multiplier

The reason I'm asking this is I've heard from several people that changing Load Line calibration can seriously damage a system. Anyone have any suggestions or help?

P.S My core voltage has an upper limit of 1.360V but for some reason is almost never there it always hovers around 1.300 on CPU-Z any reason why?

Jeff G

Mine usually hovers around 1.396v when running full out.
Been that way since the day I built it, same cpu and board as you.

trents

You will get a range of opinions about what is safe core voltage but personally I would not want to go over 1.425 max under load including all the supplements that the bios may add to the base vcore. LLC is in and of itself not harmful. You just have to have a sense of how much it is jacking up the base vcore. LLC adds voltage under load but allows lower voltages when idling and doing light tasks.

What would be helpful is to have a picture of HWMonitor captured during or after stress testing the CPU. The program will remember peak values in the Max column. Frame and capture the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories and then attach it using the built in forum tool accessed by clicking on Go Advanced.

Speaking of stress testing, how are you doing that?

OP
G

Gmanc2

You will get a range of opinions about what is safe core voltage but personally I would not want to go over 1.425 max under load including all the supplements that the bios may add to the base vcore. LLC is in and of itself not harmful. You just have to have a sense of how much it is jacking up the base vcore. LLC adds voltage under load but allows lower voltages when idling and doing light tasks.

What would be helpful is to have a picture of HWMonitor captured during or after stress testing the CPU. The program will remember peak values in the Max column. Frame and capture the image with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories and then attach it using the built in forum tool accessed by clicking on Go Advanced.

AIDA64 and RealBench

Any other suggestions?

trents

What model motherboard are you using? Do you have the latest bios installed? I'm asking because it is odd you can't manually set your vcore to more than 1.36. Unless, maybe a high LLC setting is causing the bios to protect the board/CPU by putting a fairly low cap on that parameter. It could be that CPU-z is inaccurately reporting the core voltage. What does HWMonitor say? No, wait. Your vcore is not set to 1.36 but to 1.375 it appears from your pics. Maybe CPU-z is reporting the VID rather than the vcore.